Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Should there be another body variation?
yes....make a hardtop coupe
34.85%
no...waste of money, and fastbacks are cool
65.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Should there be another body variation?

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/06, 11:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Should there be another body variation?

Ever since I saw the '05 vert, I fell in love with the shape...That got me thinking...Maybe since the "fastback" has been revived, Ford might come back with the "hardtop" and keep the same shape as the vert...SO I guess what I'm asking, should for go ahead and offer a third style of body like the old days?
Old 7/8/06, 11:40 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its a good idea....

problem is if you average the last 10-15 years, the Mustang doesn't even come close to the volume of the 65-73 model run.

Unfortunatley with companies being so cost-concious, I doubt they will budget for the extra tooling for a third bodystyle on the chassis. The only way I could see that being possible, is if they build another car with a hardtop and then they can mix and match the rooflines (ie. a Mercury Cougar, or Lincold MKsomething)
Old 7/8/06, 12:03 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't be in the market for it so I voted no. If there was a lot of interest and it would be finanicially beneficial to Ford, then go for it.
Old 7/8/06, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think it would be kinda cool to see it happen, but like stated earlier it would be too costly.
Old 7/10/06, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say they make the fastback a true fastback ala 67-73. I think a coupe would make a nice option for someone that doesn't want the long look of the F/B.
I will probably get hated for this, but this is only my experience...
Most of the ladies that I know who are into classic mustangs like the coupe, while almost all the guys I know prefer the fastback. We know that in past the largest single demographic for the mustang has been female, so a coupe may be good, but the prevailing image of the mustang still stands with images of Machs and Shelbys ala fastback, so Ford may have a justification for doing both
Sorry if I have offended.
Old 7/11/06, 11:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'll be glad if they did it
Old 7/11/06, 09:20 PM
GT Member

i think it would be awesome if they went back to the 3 variants...while fastbacks are cool....i would love to see what ford could pull from their sleeves in the coupe department
Old 7/12/06, 04:31 AM

It really wouldn't be all that hard for them to do, my only question is how would it look? I dun think a coupe style would work well with this body style, maby if the rear fenders where similar to the 64 1/2...
but then again, they could just make the verts and the coupes on the same frame, but the verts get more bracing etc, while the hardtops get a roof welded on. And the fastbacks would have nothin less than a v8, coupes and verts would be the only v6ers.
And all the Shelby's machs etc, would be fastbacks, unless of course they do a GT350, tho the later years where fastbacks...
But agin I would like to see it, and being an optimist, I will say yes!
Old 7/12/06, 11:37 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well if they come out like the chops done by decipher all those ages ago... i say yes!

i wouldnt mind owning a coupe at all just make sure it has all the sam options as the "fastback" mustang and its alll gooood
Old 7/12/06, 09:33 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by jarradasay
I say they make the fastback a true fastback ala 67-73. I think a coupe would make a nice option for someone that doesn't want the long look of the F/B.
I will probably get hated for this, but this is only my experience...
Most of the ladies that I know who are into classic mustangs like the coupe, while almost all the guys I know prefer the fastback. We know that in past the largest single demographic for the mustang has been female, so a coupe may be good, but the prevailing image of the mustang still stands with images of Machs and Shelbys ala fastback, so Ford may have a justification for doing both
Sorry if I have offended.
Although, I agree with you, and as much as I'd really like to see a true fastback, which btw: The 67-68 Mustang fastback, is my favorite Mustang, of all time..I've thought and struggled real hard, trying to imagine what the current body style would look like, with a true fastback profile..And have finally come to the conclusion, that in order for a full fastback, to look right..Ford would have to make either of the following changes.. Increase the rear or trunk area, by about 6 inches or so..Or, the only other option would be..Lower the roofline itself, by about 2-3 inches, and increase the length of the trunk space by 3 inches..Otherwise, the roofline would look way too flat, much like a hatchback ala Mustang II all over again or even worse yet, almost have the appearance, of a 2 door station wagon..Other than that, I just don't see any other way, that it could be done, and still look right, if that makes any sense, at all...As for a third body style (coupe) I don't think it would look right either, the roofline would look too much like the previous SN-95, On the other hand, if Ford were willing to re- shape the roofline similar, to the 64-68 coupe, then yes..I'd say go for it..However, I don't see Ford doing this for 2 reasons..It would be too costly and the other reason, Ford would be criticized, for attempting to copy, the original Mustang..
Old 7/13/06, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I did a chop of what it would look like in a F/B, but I can't seem to find the old post. If I find it, then I will post it.
Old 7/13/06, 05:52 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am still undecided on this... but a true hatchback would be nice...
Old 7/13/06, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Autotooner
I am still undecided on this... but a true hatchback would be nice...
Did you intend to say, true fastback ??? at least, that's what I hope you meant..
Old 7/13/06, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jarradasay
I did a chop of what it would look like in a F/B, but I can't seem to find the old post. If I find it, then I will post it.
I hope, that you can find it..I'm very interested, in seeing what it looks like.
Old 7/13/06, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Did you intend to say, true fastback ??? at least, that's what I hope you meant..
the fastback lines? yes. Functional hatch? yes also. IMO hatches are better than the traditional trunk openings.
Old 7/13/06, 06:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Jason->

I suppose you are entitled to your opinion....and I respect it...but man...I really am glad those days are over....
Old 7/13/06, 06:49 PM

the fastback lines? yes. Functional hatch? yes also. IMO hatches are better than the traditional trunk openings.
Well, I can agree that a hatch is better, in the sense that it provides more cargo space than a tradtional trunk opening, but on the other hand..To me, a hatch just doesn't look like a true muscle car, especially on a Mustang, the hatch kind of gives the appearance of having no back or rear deck, to the car..I don't know, guess I'm just from the old school, who grew up with the original Mustangs, from the mid 60's...Plus, one of the main reasons why Ford discontinued the hatchback model in 94, was because the chassis were considered, to be much weaker, compared to that of a traditional trunk based chassis..
Old 7/14/06, 01:53 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Hatches don't sell as well here and notchbacks would have to undercut fastbacks in price to sell at all. Not worth the dev money. Concentrate on keeping the whole car competetive, leave the notchback in tis grave.
Old 7/14/06, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well, I can agree that a hatch is better, in the sense that it provides more cargo space than a tradtional trunk opening, but on the other hand..To me, a hatch just doesn't look like a true muscle car, especially on a Mustang, the hatch kind of gives the appearance of having no back or rear deck, to the car..I don't know, guess I'm just from the old school, who grew up with the original Mustangs, from the mid 60's...Plus, one of the main reasons why Ford discontinued the hatchback model in 94, was because the chassis were considered, to be much weaker, compared to that of a traditional trunk based chassis..
I can see what you mean, but it could look good, not all hatches have to look like a station wagon rear...
Old 7/14/06, 05:08 PM

I can see what you mean, but it could look good, not all hatches have to look like a station wagon rear...
Jason, if you're trying to convince me ?? First, I would have to see a photo chop, to see what the car would look like, before I could possibly provide an honest opinion, one way or the other..Otherwise, we could debate this issue back and forth, until the cows come home lol..Although, I have nothing personal against your opinion, concerning hatchbacks ? However, after owning 4 Mustangs, in which every one of them, were hatchbacks, including my 93 SVT Cobra..It finally got to the point, where I got bored with the same old body style..And when I found out, that Ford was coming out with the current, retro styled Mustang..I couldn't wait, to trade in my 93 Cobra..Because, ever since I was 8 yrs. old, I had always dreamed of someday owning a 65-68 Mustang Fastback..Therefore, when the 05's became available..I took my 93 Cobra, to my local Ford dealer, who gave me $12,500 as a trade in, towards my 05..Although, I really loved my 93 Cobra, and probably could have got more for it, if I had tried selling it outright..All I cared about, was knowing that the Mustang, that I had always dreamed about owning, was finally about to become a reality some 35 years later, in the form of my 05 GT..So there you have it..And, as I had mentioned before..Ford, discontinued the hatchback edition, because the structural chassis, was considered to be much weaker, compared to the traditional, trunk based chassis..So, as much as I hate, to disappoint you Jason..I just don't see Ford, as ever bringing back the hatchback edition, for that reason..Anyway, I hope that I haven't offended you in anyway, because that was never my intention..Like I said before, I'm just from the old school..

Quick Reply: Should there be another body variation?