2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Shininess for the Lazy

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/10, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabbi Mike
Wow. No car washes ever, eh?
I have used the local Car wash on my last vert for 3 years and it even has those strap thing's that clean the car. No issues at all. In fact when I returned the car all I got was compliments on how good it looked. The car wash will not hurt your car.

My 2011 has already been there 3 times. I have a great guy who practically details the car everytime I go.

Enjoy the car.
Old 7/28/10, 01:29 PM
Cobra R Member

My car wash buying guide for the lazy

1. Costco micro fiber towels
2. Meguiars gold class car wash
3. Meguiars NXT Tech Wax
4. Wax applicator pads
5. Vinylex for Plastic/Rubber/Leather

What I use:

Wash: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
Polish / Sealant: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Quick Detailer: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant
Tires: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel
Leather Cleaning: Damp Microfiber Towel
Plastic/Rubber/Vinyl/Leather Protectant: 303 Aerospace Protectant
Leather Conditioner: Pinnacle Leather Conditioner
Clear Plastic (Headlights/Fogs/Tail Lights/Side Markers): Plexus Plastic
Cleaner/Protectant/Polish
Windows: Stoner Invisible Glass
Bug/Tar: Stoner XENIT

Towels / Applicators:
Wash / QD: Cobra Super Plush Deluxe 600 Towel
Drying Body Panels: Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Towel
Drying Windows: Cobra Waffle Weave Glass Towel
Applying Wax / Polish: Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator
Removing Wax / Polish: Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloth

Even when my car is dirty, it shines. I only spend about two hours once a month. It's all about technique and product selection.
Old 7/28/10, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
Would there be any benefit to using Zaino on a white car?
In my experience using Zaino, I don't think it would matter what color the car because when you put it on the right way and use the right methods the car looks like its wet, the shine is so deep and clear. I just put a couple of coats on my FX35 this weekend and everbody was starring at it on the parkway when going to work all this week, probably because the sun was reflecting of the car and blinding them
Old 7/28/10, 07:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LinT
I worked in the family car wash (automatic) business for 12 years. The soap they used was the same chemical makeup of suave shampoo. It works great and its cheap. (i should get some new towels though!)
You can buy a pretty big jug of car wash soap pretty cheap, can't imagine that a bottle of hair shampoo could be anywhere near as cheap for the amount of washes per ounce used that the car wash soap is.
Old 7/28/10, 08:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
I have used the local Car wash on my last vert for 3 years and it even has those strap thing's that clean the car. No issues at all. In fact when I returned the car all I got was compliments on how good it looked. The car wash will not hurt your car.

My 2011 has already been there 3 times. I have a great guy who practically details the car everytime I go.

Enjoy the car.
Agree 100%...been using the local car wash for all my cars..no problems at all. The clear coat is impervious to grit..that's why it's there.... for those who love to massage their cars, wax away.
Old 7/28/10, 08:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only automated wash I trust is a touchless one. It's a proven fact, the less you physically touch the paint, the less prone to swirls you'll be.
Old 7/29/10, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
The only automated wash I trust is a touchless one. It's a proven fact, the less you physically touch the paint, the less prone to swirls you'll be.

I dont disagree that that is probably true. But the Title of the thread is "Shininess for the Lazy"

Not everyone has the time or desire to keep up with their car cleaning. With 2 kids, crazy work hours and a house to upkeep. I find that I have very little time or more important energy to keep up with the car. And for people in those situations they should know that a good car wash place is not going to damage there paint and will keep it looking very good in fact.

Just my.02 probably not worth that much anyway.
Old 7/29/10, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
You can buy a pretty big jug of car wash soap pretty cheap, can't imagine that a bottle of hair shampoo could be anywhere near as cheap for the amount of washes per ounce used that the car wash soap is.
I have changed my mind on this. First of all, the suave shampoo that the car wash soap is based off of was made 20 years ago. Im gonna go ahead and spend the extra few bucks on real car wash soap.
Old 7/29/10, 10:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
And for people in those situations they should know that a good car wash place is not going to damage there paint and will keep it looking very good in fact.

Just my.02 probably not worth that much anyway.
The question is who is drying your car after going through the car wash? Is it the establishment that's paying their workers minimum wage and they use the cheapest towels they can buy in bulk? Or are you driving it home then drying it yourself? In either scenario, you'll probably end up with scratches. By the time you get home additional contaminants will be on your paint that can cause micro marring. This doesn't bother a lot of people though.

You could always go for a 80mph run on the freeway, that will get rid of most of the water

Last edited by Adam; 7/29/10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 7/29/10, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
The question is who is drying your car after going through the car wash? Is it the establishment that's paying their workers minimum wage and they use the cheapest towels they can buy in bulk? Or are you driving it home then drying it yourself? In either scenario, you'll probably end up with scratches. By the time you get home additional contaminants will be on your paint that can cause micro marring. This doesn't bother a lot of people though.

You could always go for a 80mph run on the freeway, that will get rid of most of the water
I guess I should have bolded the word GOOD. I have a very good place by me and they use fresh clean towels on every car. Like I said I have been going to them for years with all my cars and never had a problem. My particular carwash does all the detailing for the local BMW dealer as well. And you will see all types of high end cars there. So they are good. But a basic outside wash and dry is about $12 and for about $50 I get the full treatment inside and out and that would even include my custom deep dish chrome rims on my last car the where a ***** to clean.
Old 7/31/10, 12:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Going to mustang show on monday...not entering or anything,but wanted it to look good non the less...already waxed a few times ect...so just wanted something fast...i tryed NuFinish cling this evening,and it turned out real nice...took no time at all,and gave my car a nice wet polished look...
Old 7/31/10, 03:10 PM
GT Member

So what are people using to clean and dry the convertible's cloth top?
Old 7/31/10, 03:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Maxhenry
So what are people using to clean and dry the convertible's cloth top?
Here you go: http://autogeek.net/contopcleanp.html
Old 7/31/10, 04:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Thank you
Old 8/3/10, 07:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I know what you mean... it all starts running together.

I bought a cotton wash mitt, Costco had a jug of Turtle Wax Auto soap, some microfibers, a chamois, 1 wheel & 1 tire brushes, and 2 buckets. (And also some RainX bug & tar remover, glass cleaner. I get lots of bugs along a lake. And you'll probably want some tire shine.) WalMart & Costco.

Assuming you are starting with a still nice new factory finish, claybar & wax will come later.

It takes a full hour with me working pretty quick - especially quick during the drying portion to avoid water spots. (I have hard water and it leaves spots from hell if you let it set.) I wash at least once/week - but usually the next day after a trip along the lake to get the bugs off. I have 3M Clear Mask on the front and road rash areas, but I still want to get bugs and bird crap off pretty quick.

1) Park in shade. Hose car. Apply bug remover to front as needed, let set a bit and hose off per directions.
2) Soap car in sections starting top, working down. After using both sides of mitt on a section (say the roof or hood), plunge mitt into clear rinse bucket and squeeze 2 or 3 times (watch for excess dirt on mitt like from under rocker panels). Hose soap off car and wet the rest of the car again briefly (avoids water spots). Then plunge clean mitt into soap bucket and squeeze in some soap and go to the next section. (If your car was really dirty you might change the rinse water once during a wash.) Hose car frequently as you work.
3) Wet chamois and ring out. Dry section at a time starting with top portions where water is setting, then sides.
4) Brush wheels and tires with soapy water and brushes. Rinse avoiding any overspray on dry body panels. Using a damp micro (wet & ring out), dry wheels. (I mark my micro's with a sharpie so I don't mix wheel micro with door jamb micro, etc.)
5) Using a separate damp micro, wipe door, hood, trunk jams.
6) Using a separate damp micro, wipe the dust from engine bay.
7) Interior as needed. Tires as needed.

Mine is 2 yrs out now and it still has deep color and a nice shine. I do think I'm ready for claybar and wax about now though. Mine sits in a garage under cover for 5 mos of the year during winter.

Remember... cleanliness is next to Godliness...
thanks for this....much clearer to me now....
Old 8/3/10, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I started using a leaf blower on my Taurus because it seems to have jillion places that catch water that drips until the next day. Works so well I use it on the Mustang now also. Very good for getting water out from the taillight housing, behind the grille, license plate, side markers, etc. Excellent on the wheels. And you'll clear enough water that a quick swipe with a towel or damp chamois will 'finish' the job. I haven't wrung the chamois out in 6 months.
Old 8/3/10, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Old 8/3/10, 12:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Old 8/3/10, 12:49 PM

has anyone tried the Armor all extreme tire gel?? I bought it a few days ago and it is amazing! Shinier than anything ive used before and so far ...lasts longer.
Old 8/3/10, 01:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
What's with the spots in the finish? Or is that your camera lens?

Quick Reply: Shininess for the Lazy