Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Shifting Pointers.

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/11, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting Pointers.

I've been driving manual for 2 years now and since this is my first manual car as a regular driver (that's actually mine) I'm looking for some pointers in my shifting.

My shifts from 2-3 3-4 and so forth are improving as I drive the car more and more but I cant seem to get down 1-2. I'm always rewarded with a nice thunk every time I let the clutch out from first. Now am I letting the clutch out too fast or am I doing something else wrong. Now if i do a hard acceleration in first up to 5-6k, she'll shift smooth. I know this is a weird way to ask for pointers but I'm just looking for some advice from people with experience with the car. I love this thing to death more and more everyday. Can't wait to get my shifting down so I really can let her go!
Old 6/25/11, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would suggest an after market shifter. Stock shifters suck @ss.
Old 6/25/11, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I was thinking about it. Maybe even the Barton bracket. I just thought my clutch clunking was happening because of bad technique.
Old 6/25/11, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

How often are you in traffic jams with the car?
Old 6/25/11, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found using a LITTLE gas helps make it smooth, also try letting it out slower. Fist gear in this thing is unlike any other car I have driven.
Old 6/25/11, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep....release the clutch a bit slower in first than the other gears. Just keep trying different rates and you will find the right spot for you.
Old 6/25/11, 08:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My stock shifter is perfect.

I find on (rare) days that I'm just not shifting like I want, it is either a) the seat is not quite adjusted where I like it, or b) I'm driving it too easy like my old pickup. Give it some gas, get after it, and get on down the road!
Old 6/26/11, 03:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Totally agree, Steeda, Barton et al.
Old 6/26/11, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rjaniz
How often are you in traffic jams with the car?
Not often at all. Just stop go from light to light.

Originally Posted by slostang
I found using a LITTLE gas helps make it smooth, also try letting it out slower. Fist gear in this thing is unlike any other car I have driven.
Its definitely very different then any other manual I've driven. I've played around with the gas a little more while shifting and gotten occasional smooth shifts. Gotta play around a little more with it.

Originally Posted by AzPete
Yep....release the clutch a bit slower in first than the other gears. Just keep trying different rates and you will find the right spot for you.
I noticed that this morning. Played around with different rates and definitely saw a difference. I think I'm too used to my dads 68 Camaros clutch (He's a chevy guy). The tension that pedal applies to your feet is completely different then the mustang.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
My stock shifter is perfect.

I find on (rare) days that I'm just not shifting like I want, it is either a) the seat is not quite adjusted where I like it, or b) I'm driving it too easy like my old pickup. Give it some gas, get after it, and get on down the road!
Hahaha. I'm probably being a little lazy with the acceleration too.

Originally Posted by Big Poppa

Totally agree, Steeda, Barton et al.
I was actually looking into the MGW but I do like the stock one. Got a decent feel to it.

Thanks for the reply guys. I was driving this morning practicing different combinations of gas and clutch release. Getting better. Trying to stop getting this thud when I select the next gear and releasing the clutch. I definitely think I'm releasing it to fast and spending too much time with the clutch depressed that the RPMs drop to low, but it'll all come with practice.
Old 6/26/11, 08:17 PM
GT Member

One thing that makes for smooth shifts is to stabilize the RPM just before shifting... as the car accelerates, say to 3000 RPM, hold the accelerator for a half second at the shifting RPM, then push in the clutch, ease off the accelerator as you make the shift and release the clutch at the new RPM... With a little practice, you will find an RPM that consistently works smoothly for you.

First/Second is the toughest because of the low first gear ratio and shorter reaction time required, but it just takes a bit of practice to get consistent shifts.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 6/26/11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 6/26/11, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Put the car in first, clutch all the way in....bring it to 3500 and let off the clutch FAST....then grab second......................................
Old 6/27/11, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
Not often at all. Just stop go from light to light.
See if you can find some. I noticed my launching got a tons better after going through some traffic jams. Nothing like practice where you don't really ever get out of 2nd to help
Old 6/27/11, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
First/Second is the toughest because of the low first gear ratio and shorter reaction time required, but it just takes a bit of practice to get consistent shifts.
I've found 3-4 being a strange shift, have to do it a lot quicker than the other shifts
Old 6/27/11, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
I've found 3-4 being a strange shift, have to do it a lot quicker than the other shifts
Very true. I've noticed that as well and adjusted to that pretty quick. Still have an occasional thunk when going from 3-4 but still learning.

Originally Posted by Rjaniz
See if you can find some. I noticed my launching got a tons better after going through some traffic jams. Nothing like practice where you don't really ever get out of 2nd to help
Sounds like a good idea. Will try it this weekend. Heading to a car show in town so I'll have a chance to get some consistent stop gos in slow traffic.

Originally Posted by slostang
Put the car in first, clutch all the way in....bring it to 3500 and let off the clutch FAST....then grab second......................................
I would love to. Just want to get some experience under my belt before I'm leaving rubber.

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
One thing that makes for smooth shifts is to stabilize the RPM just before shifting... as the car accelerates, say to 3000 RPM, hold the accelerator for a half second at the shifting RPM, then push in the clutch, ease off the accelerator as you make the shift and release the clutch at the new RPM... With a little practice, you will find an RPM that consistently works smoothly for you.

Thanks for your input. It does take some practice. I find myself now making smooth shifts from 1-2 without even noticing but then when I'm thinking about making the shift smooth, its not. It's getting there, just have to not think about it.
Old 6/28/11, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Woohoo chirped in second!!! Found out what I was doing wrong. I was spending way too much time with the clutch depressed. Pretty much second nature accelerating now from 1st. Still having an occasional thud but now I'm having too much fun with this car. Lol. Gotta love these 373s!!!!

Thanks again for all your input guys!
Old 6/28/11, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Woohoo chirped in second!!! Found out what I was doing wrong. I was spending way too much time with the clutch depressed. Pretty much second nature accelerating now from 1st. Still having an occasional thud but now I'm having too much fun with this car. Lol. Gotta love these 373s!!!!

Keep it up and you'll be chirpin 4th in no time!
Old 6/29/11, 12:02 AM
Bullitt Member

hey, The 2012 mustang gt is my first manual daily driver and I'm learning to drive this car myself too. What does it mean to chirp a gear? I know it's that sound that the rear tires make when you shift. So when you chirp a gear does that mean you shifted perfectly? or does that mean you messed up your shift? i chirp 1>2 sometimes
Old 6/29/11, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Will3212

hey, The 2012 mustang gt is my first manual daily driver and I'm learning to drive this car myself too. What does it mean to chirp a gear? I know it's that sound that the rear tires make when you shift. So when you chirp a gear does that mean you shifted perfectly? or does that mean you messed up your shift? i chirp 1>2 sometimes
It just means that you're driving it hard enough to spin the tires for a second in 2nd gear. "shifting perfectly" is subjective. To me shifting perfectly is having the shift be smooth so that there is no "thunk" and jerking of the car when you change gears... Which I am still adjusting to in this car. I am getting better and expect it to be second nature in the coming weeks.

...unless you're getting on it then shifting perfectly means chirping the tires in second and third.
Old 6/29/11, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Will3212

Exactly what jaybertx said. I just got a little to confident and when I finished my 1-2 shift, I gave it "some" gas and got a nice chirp of the tires with no jolting. I would definitely go out and practice your clutch release primarily so your not letting the RPMs drop too far by the time your in the next gear and releasing the clutch. That's what I figured out what was causing my clunky, lazy shifts. Pretty much now every one is smooth for me with an occasional thunk. It's definitely a muscle memory thing that you can't think too much about.

Now "chirping" gears, thats a different story. Lol
Old 2/10/13, 08:22 AM

thud when pushing gas pedal

[QUOTE=flySWA737;6096520]I've been driving manual for 2 years now and since this is my first manual car as a regular driver (that's actually mine) I'm looking for some pointers in my shifting.

My shifts from 2-3 3-4 and so forth are improving as I drive the car more and more but I cant seem to get down 1-2. I'm always rewarded with a nice thunk every time I let the clutch out from first. Now am I letting the clutch out too fast or am I doing something else wrong. Now if i do a hard acceleration in first up to 5-6k, she'll shift smooth. I know this is a weird way to ask for pointers but I'm just looking for some advice from people with experience with the car. I love this thing to death more and more everyday. Can't wait to get my shifting down so I really can let her go!

It's all about perfect clutch/gas control..believe me my "13gt is the perfect example and I've been driving stick shifts for 20+ years and this transmision is the most sensitive yet..I have another "thud" issue..When I'm cruising and I let foot off gas then give it gas again "initially" the thud is very noticeable, especialy if I hammer the gas, but if I push the gas 3 more times in rapid sequence to see if I could make it hapen again...and no thud...so what gives? I heard it's the crap 2 piece drive shaft and is normal, and the only way to stop the thud effect is to get a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft...which is not cheap by the way..Any thoughts??

Quick Reply: Shifting Pointers.