The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Shelby's Till at Least 2012! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/shelbys-till-least-2012-a-464302/)

Boomer 2/24/08 01:53 PM

While the Shelby or whatever will be into the next body style....

... it still won't stop Stealerships from trying to fetch a markup on the current cars.

One would hope... as people who already wanted one, will more than likely have one, and the dealerships sitting on them will have harder times to unload them with markups. Especially with the way the economy is or is headed.

1 COBRA 2/24/08 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 1115912)
Shelby has NOTHING to do with the GT-500...

Except collect royalties for the use of the name. I would think an agreed upon fee per vehicle is in place. It should be a nice chunk of change, enough to pay for a few organ transplants.

Hollywood_North GT 2/24/08 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 1115912)
Say what?

Shelby has NOTHING to do with the GT-500. They are made at AAI on the same line as Mustangs and Mazda 6s. Shelby Automotive never touches them.

Maybe you're thinking of the Shelby GT.

Yeah, I forgot about that. You're quite right. I stand corrected. An interruption would obviously only affect cars that Shelby themselves work on.

V10 2/24/08 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1116190)
Yeah, I forgot about that. You're quite right. I stand corrected. An interruption would obviously only affect cars that Shelby themselves work on.

And as Bullitt pointed out it would intrerrupt the royalty payments.

codeman94 2/28/08 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1BULLITT http://forums.bradbarnett.net/images...s/viewpost.gif
Except collect royalties for the use of the name. I would think an agreed upon fee per vehicle is in place. It should be a nice chunk of change, enough to pay for a few organ transplants.
"But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300."

-Carroll Shelby

Boomer 2/28/08 01:00 PM

haha, he's gone CRAZY :)

I say he goes for the Cryo and has a place next to Walt Disney

GTJOHN 2/28/08 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 1116289)
And as Bullitt pointed out it would intrerrupt the royalty payments.

Yep, making a Mach1 would be too easy! Ford has to do things the hard way.

codeman94 2/28/08 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1119446)
haha, he's gone CRAZY :)

I say he goes for the Cryo and has a place next to Walt Disney

...that actually was a quote for Talledega Nights...:poke:

jacostang 2/28/08 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight (Post 1114788)
I heard no more Shelby GT's thought. Is that true?

Maybe, the next is the Telingua Racer, you purchase the Mustang and then send it Shelby for the retro fit, 2 packages so far....

97GT03SVT 3/3/08 06:33 AM

Why does Ford continue this relationship with Shelby! Think about it Ford has so many other SE names that they can bring back without having to pay Shelby's ransom! Why not bring back the Mach1, Boss, SVT Cobra, SVO? Ford needs to move on Shelby has not had great influence on a car since the 60s!

Boomer 3/3/08 07:04 AM

They are selling that's why...

Not that they wouldn't if they were named otherwise,
but it has been the link to baby boomers who have wanted a Shelby when they were younger....

...and a thorn in the side for us folks who want one but don't want to pay a stupid markup....

jsaylor 3/3/08 09:27 AM

Boomer is right on the money. The question isn't why doesn't Ford get rid of the Shelby tag it's why would they. Just like other famous monikers including names like Ferrari, Porsche, and Corvette the Shelby name gives Ford the ability to sell a good high performance car at a combination of profit and volume they otherwise wouldn't be able to. We may like a low volume, ultra-high performance car which starts at msrp or just a bit above in it's first year and then transitions to 5k+ rebates by the third year on the market because of the accessibility they provide, but car companies don't. And given the current climate in the auto industry, and the current state of Ford, if the existing GT500 were to have followed that sales track I doubt there would have been any chance for production through 2012 or a follow on model which now seems likely for obvious reasons.

97GT03SVT 3/3/08 11:06 AM

I understand this. but part of the car's high demand was also it's supposed limited avalibilty. Now with the car's run being more than the two year run expected and fairly high volume for an SVT.... I don't see people going crazy over the next gen GT500s. I think the collector crowd is gonna feel duped paying 20-30k above MSRP for their 07-08 cars and not bite a second time. I think significant improvements will be the only way to get ADMs on this car and even with that I doubt we will see the huge ADMs we saw when the 07' car first hit the showrooms.

Boomer 3/3/08 11:14 AM

You'll still get collectors buying them...
you'll still get guys selling their 07-09 GT500s for the newest kid on the block

The only thing is, maybe the 2nd hand market will be better resale than the Cobra of 03/04 when the 07 came out.

m05fastbackGT 3/3/08 05:42 PM

It's my understanding that Mark Fields has promised us, there will be a new SE every year. First with the GT500, and Shelby GT for 07, followed by the Bullitt for 08.

That being said. It's pretty much safe to assume, will see either a Mach 1, and perhaps even a new Boss or both for 2009. :grin:

Boomer 3/3/08 06:56 PM

Come on now..its not like things have NEVER changed AFTER the fact ...hahaha...

"But..but...but he PROMISED us...."

I'm not saying we won't see something, cause I have no idea.
But would you really be upset if Ford devoted all its resources to the new car and not the last year of the old one?

m05fastbackGT 3/5/08 03:36 PM

Which is exactly why I said, that's it's pretty safe to assume will see either a Mach 1 or Boss. I didn't say or imply that it was written in stone. As things do indeed change, however being that we already have the GT500, Shelby GT, and now the Bullitt. I'm pretty confident will get at least one more SE, before the launch of the 2010 Mustang.

As for using the phrase "promised us" That was only meant as a figure of speech, and nothing more.

V10 3/5/08 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 5520162)
I'm pretty confident will get at least one more SE, before the launch of the 2010 Mustang.

I don't see how that's possible. The 09 Stang starts production on May 27 and so far there is not the slightest bit of evidence that there will be a new 09 SE. And, as we discussed the 09 Stang will end production in Dec or Jan so it's unlikely there will be an 09 Job 2 release with a mid-year SE like the 08 Bullitt.

The only surprise I'm expecting is that there will be an 09 Bullitt.

m05fastbackGT 3/5/08 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 5520201)
I don't see how that's possible. The 09 Stang starts production on May 27 and so far there is not the slightest bit of evidence that there will be a new 09 SE. And, as we discussed the 09 Stang will end production in Dec or Jan so it's unlikely there will be an 09 Job 2 release with a mid-year SE like the 08 Bullitt.

The only surprise I'm expecting is that there will be an 09 Bullitt.

So if the 09 production run ends in Dec or Jan. There's still plenty of time to offer an SE between May 27th, and Sept/Oct.

Besides if Ford can offer an 09 Bullitt. Then why not also a Mach 1 :dunno:

V10 3/5/08 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 5520233)
So if the 09 production run ends in Dec or Jan. There's still plenty of time to offer an SE between May 27th, and Sept/Oct.

Besides if Ford can offer an 09 Bullitt. Then why not also a Mach 1 :dunno:

No way. If there was a new SE for 09 the design would have to be complete and parts already on order from suppliers. Those parts would have already been showing up in Ford's service parts data base and duely reported to us by some of the folks here who work at Ford dealers and constantly check the database. It's simple: No new parts in the database = No new SE for 09.