2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Security System for a 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/11, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security System for a 2011 GT?

I live in a condo complex downtown Memphis. We have had about 15 car break-in's over the last 5 months. That's out of about 40 cars in the parking lot. I've got a brand new 2011 GT premium sitting in there with no security system. I was wondering what you guys thought about the following options:

1) The factory system avaialable form www.fordaccessories.com
2) Basic aftermarket system
3) Aftermarket system with the two way paging. I had this on my old 2001 GT and it worked great.

I'm leaning toward #1 because it's all factory and the install should be pretty basic.

Who around here has put in an afermarket system in the 2011? Any issues?

And don't tell me to move. I would if I could.
Old 4/7/11, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

I have an aftermarket system in my mazda 6. Works great. In my opinion, more sensitive than the one ford has on the mustang.

I would go aftermarket. Will be similar in cost and the same, if not better protection.

Enjoy!
Old 4/7/11, 07:19 PM
V6 Member

Number one.... It's actually pre existing in the car. It's all there it's just turning it on...
At least thats what the ford dealership told me...

I have it and I like it... Plenty of features about it.
Old 4/7/11, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
I have an aftermarket system in my mazda 6. Works great. In my opinion, more sensitive than the one ford has on the mustang.

I would go aftermarket. Will be similar in cost and the same, if not better protection.

Enjoy!
How does your aftermarket system compare to the Ford SECURITY SYSTEM? I find the Ford system to be sufficient enough that I will not go aftermarket especially with the interior motion sensors and few false alarms. I had false alarm problems in the past and always at bad times with my aftermarket system - 3a.m. truck passing by causing ground vibrations/shock setting off the alarm for example. The Ford system - factory installed optional "Security System" does however lack some features of the confusing complex aftermarket alarms like pager etc. but is far better than what my 2003 cobra has from the factory. Anyhow if you can perform such an install yourself you may be able to save a bit of cash. This mustang alarm system install may help:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x90...tallation_auto

I also recommend comparing features on all alarm systems and decide which system meets your needs.

Last edited by eurocobra; 4/7/11 at 07:35 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 07:31 PM

The stock one is pretty impressive from what I've read - but will you hear it at 3am while you're sleeping? The two-way page comes in handy if you're out somewhere or sound asleep / far from your car. Personally I'd go with a Clifford 2-way system with an alternate power source - these guys sound like they might know what they're doing.

What do you really have in there though? Most thieves want aftermarket headunits / speakers / amps / GPS / radar detectors / etc. If you're all OEM and there's nothing in the cabin, I'd hope they'd look elsewhere.
Old 4/7/11, 08:35 PM
Cobra R Member

In the past, thieves used to go go this stuff. I feel like now they'll jack your stuff up just to do! I have a Ravelco Anti-Theft device in my 95. Unless that plug's in it, it's just a hunk of metal! When it sells, I'll prob transfer to my 11? I kind of have a huge trust issue now. I would like an alarm for this car, just can't afford it.
Old 4/7/11, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the stock security system, a clifford 2 way Paging system (range is excellent) and for added protection I also have lojack installed. Stock i sgood but i wanted something that would alert me if i was in the mall and not in range to hear anything. The Lojack is added security and it a discount on your insurance too.
Old 4/7/11, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

What I was told about my security system at the dealer(stock with the $499 upgraded security option) was that the stock system is just passive anti theft with ignition disable (requiring your coded key to start). The optional system adds a gps tracking system which would be akin to a Lojack. Does it work? Don't know. I think once you report your car stolen, I would like to think the cops can then track it based on your VIN or something. I was wondering about this feature and was hoping someone could clarify it for me as well.
Old 4/7/11, 11:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Can't really remember what all I added when I bought my car. Quite a lot! All I know of is the Black Box. Not sure if that's it, but they can track my car if ever stolen. Something like that?
Old 4/8/11, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jcint
I have the stock security system, a clifford 2 way Paging system (range is excellent) and for added protection I also have lojack installed. Stock i sgood but i wanted something that would alert me if i was in the mall and not in range to hear anything. The Lojack is added security and it a discount on your insurance too.
How did you install the Clifford 2-way paging system in conjunction with the sec. package? Is there just a wire that goes hot when someone busts a window and this triggers the pager? Did you install yourself or have dealer / big box electronic install it?
Old 4/8/11, 04:19 PM
Cobra R Member

I've seen too many aftermarket systems cause weird electrical issues....
Old 4/8/11, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze
How did you install the Clifford 2-way paging system in conjunction with the sec. package? Is there just a wire that goes hot when someone busts a window and this triggers the pager? Did you install yourself or have dealer / big box electronic install it?
I had the shop where I bought the alarm install it. Took them Over 2 hours. I have to set the stock system first then the clifford. If i only use the clifford I get a door unlocked warning on my transponder but the alarm still locks the doors and sets. I figure with the stock and clifford alarm i'm good to go. The Lojack helps me sleep at nights.
Old 4/8/11, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Adam
Old 4/8/11, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Adam
Have you seen this on the 2011? I had one on my 2001 for about ten years without issue.
Old 4/8/11, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kona
Have you seen this on the 2011? I had one on my 2001 for about ten years without issue.
Had my alarm done about 7 months ago and no issues. I guess it all depends on how and who installs it. Both my installs ( Lojack and Clifford ) were done by pro's. Clifford was done at the store i bought it and they do this all the time. Lojack was installed by a lojack dealer setup by Ford.
Old 4/9/11, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Allfordmustangs.com (reposted from blueovalforums) has a nice informative post on this topic that I hadn't seen before. Guess I was wrong about the GPS tracking bullcrap. But it is a nice system nonetheless, just wish I had a paging feature in case I'm out of range. If you haven't read up on the Security Package info and you paid for the system or are curious about it, check this out:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...larm-what.html
Old 4/9/11, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by brewsky54
Allfordmustangs.com (reposted from blueovalforums) has a nice informative post on this topic that I hadn't seen before. Guess I was wrong about the GPS tracking bullcrap. But it is a nice system nonetheless, just wish I had a paging feature in case I'm out of range. If you haven't read up on the Security Package info and you paid for the system or are curious about it, check this out:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...larm-what.html
Thanks for that great information! Do you happen to know if the following is the same system?

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/...7L3Z_19A361_AA
Old 4/9/11, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

It sure looks like it, I would call and make sure though. The price certainly matches up (353$, plus the 40$ wheel lock kit add up to the 395$ I paid at the dealer). Good luck!
Old 4/10/11, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
In the past, thieves used to go go this stuff. I feel like now they'll jack your stuff up just to do! I have a Ravelco Anti-Theft device in my 95. Unless that plug's in it, it's just a hunk of metal! When it sells, I'll prob transfer to my 11? I kind of have a huge trust issue now. I would like an alarm for this car, just can't afford it.
In this day and age they'll steal the filing out of teeth if they could. Big market for air bag modules. Even heard of cases where thieves were stealing cat converters at car pool/train station parking lots for the platinum/palladium. Nice thing with the Mustang system, it senses inclination changes, so if they want my cats, they better be paper thin to get underneath.