Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The search is over 5.0. Almost anyway

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/10, 02:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The search is over 5.0. Almost anyway

First, thanks for everyones help in making decisions and advice on the car. I was going to buy a 2010gt or new 2011 v6. I just put in an order on a 2011 5.0 lol. In my opinion after driving the 2010 vs 2011gt it was an easy decision. 2011 gt steering, handling, power just fantastic. Now for the Almost part.

I have about a week he said to make any changes on the order. I got a base model with no options. Black on black for 28k which is under invoice plus holdback. One of the guys said get the 3.73 gears and that even in town I would not be shifting so much more that i would really notice it. Price of 344 more bucks is not an issue but this car will be my daily driver for 9 months out of the year. With that said it's only 7 miles to work so not alot of interstate driving unless i take a trip. Should I do it?

P.S I was a bit surprised at how decent the base interior was so don't think I will jump to premium but who knows. 3k more is a decent amount.
Old 6/21/10, 03:15 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a matter of personal preference on most options. Myself I love the premium interior (without the 401a accent trim package). Love those brick stitched leather seats. If you plan on having the car for awhile you might like a nicer interior. Then, I like the look of the 19" wheels too. Not necessarily even the Brembo package. When you consider how much it is to get new tires and rims, the 900 or so its costs for the upgrade is a good deal.

HIDs were a toss up for me but I decided one night after looking at the brightness of HIDs driving towards me in traffic that they would be nice. Then the security package is a good deal considering its installed at the factory without having someone mess with the interior who may not be as good as Ford would. Plus you'll get in insurance discount. A few upgrades just like that. Not even getting into Nav or Brembo!

Last edited by emilram11; 6/21/10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 6/21/10, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gears always make the SOTP feel great!
Old 6/21/10, 03:25 PM
GT Member

Yah I assumed you're sticking with the 3.73's. You should definitely keep those (IMO).
Old 6/21/10, 04:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by emilram11
Yah I assumed you're sticking with the 3.73's. You should definitely keep those (IMO).
As it sits right now it's the 3.31's but I can change it.
Old 6/21/10, 04:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Huskernation
First, thanks for everyones help in making decisions and advice on the car. I was going to buy a 2010gt or new 2011 v6. I just put in an order on a 2011 5.0 lol. In my opinion after driving the 2010 vs 2011gt it was an easy decision. 2011 gt steering, handling, power just fantastic. Now for the Almost part.

I have about a week he said to make any changes on the order. I got a base model with no options. Black on black for 28k which is under invoice plus holdback. One of the guys said get the 3.73 gears and that even in town I would not be shifting so much more that i would really notice it. Price of 344 more bucks is not an issue but this car will be my daily driver for 9 months out of the year. With that said it's only 7 miles to work so not alot of interstate driving unless i take a trip. Should I do it?

P.S I was a bit surprised at how decent the base interior was so don't think I will jump to premium but who knows. 3k more is a decent amount.
I agree on the Premium is really nice. I was just a bit surprised when I saw the base model and was thinking it looked pretty good, not great like the premium but good. I would be the same way if i went premium and start adding stuff. Next thing you know my 21k car is 26k, have 7k in equity on my trade.
Old 6/21/10, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the 3.73s. I think they make the car much easier to drive in city traffic because the car is moving slower at idle than it would with the standard gears.
Old 6/21/10, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I have the 3.73s. I think they make the car much easier to drive in city traffic because the car is moving slower at idle than it would with the standard gears.
Moving slower at idle? Auto?
Old 6/21/10, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

No. Manual. The car will move at idle speed in first. A careful left foot can put it in first without hitting the accelerator.
Old 6/21/10, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I got mine with the 3:31s and now wish I'd opted for the 3:73s.. But I also have talked to some folks that have the 3:31s and said they are nice to live with. A gear swap on this cars down the road won't cost that much but if you want them grab them now.
Old 6/21/10, 06:13 PM
GT Member

I would get the security pkg at least. Might save your wheels. The wheels are very expensive on their own from what I read. I went with base interior, but sprung for 3.73, Brembo, security and spoiler delete. Still a steal for 32,900. It's your car, so get what YOU want.
Old 6/21/10, 06:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Radiohead
I would get the security pkg at least. Might save your wheels. The wheels are very expensive on their own from what I read. I went with base interior, but sprung for 3.73, Brembo, security and spoiler delete. Still a steal for 32,900. It's your car, so get what YOU want.
I thought about security package and may well add it, you make a good point. 90% of my driving will be city and that's why the 3.31 vs 3.73 is such a hard choice. If in city driving the 3.73 is not a hassle i would opt for it but i don't know. Maybe 3.55 would be a good option.
Old 6/21/10, 06:51 PM
Cobra R Member

A 3.73 ring & pinion is $150-ish from Ford Racing, and can be added any time (installation labor, gasket, etc extra of course). You could get it later as a 1st anniversary present to the car.
Old 6/21/10, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Radiohead
I would get the security pkg at least. Might save your wheels. The wheels are very expensive on their own from what I read.
If you just wanted the wheel locks, they do come without getting the security package.
Old 6/21/10, 08:16 PM
V6 Member

i agree with you that the base GT is great by itself and i have no need for the premium.

i went with the 3.73 gears and i have no complaints. i just for back from a trip from Arizona to Wyoming and South Dakota and got 26-27 mpg with the cruise set at 80 and the AC on.

i really like the brembo wheels on white and it does make her handle better so i think it was worth it.

last i got the security package just in case...

at 32,980 i think it was a great not to mention i got it for invioce plus hold back so around 30,600ish
Old 6/21/10, 08:47 PM
V6 Member

Perfect choice, although I'm partial as mine is an identical order. Get the 3.73s, if you have any doubt, read the July Motor Trend article on the GT with 3.73s. Kicked butt. They were able to show that the higher gear ratio gave 10 to 25% more tire force than Camaro or SRT Challenger even though they had higher torque figures. The guys that bought other gear ratios will say gas mileage will suffer, but it's still better than the other 2 competitors. Motor Trend also reported that there were the same number of gear shifts in 1/4 mile as Camaro and Challenger.
Old 6/22/10, 11:09 PM
GT Member

Ok I ended up going premium with black on black with cashmere stripe. I def did not need it but was on the fence and did not want regrets. My two things with prem were hands free phone calls and a nicer radio. I could have done without the lighting and leather but at dealer cost it was $2880 more so I went ahead. Oh and $344 more to go nicer leather.
Old 6/23/10, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

If you get 19's you might want to consider a tire coverage plan. I went with the tire coverage so both my rim and rubber are covered from damage. I know after damaging 3 sets of tires on my Civic that the costs on tire and rim repair are huge and those were dinky little tires. 100 more a month got me extended warranty, maintenance, and tire coverage. The maintenance plan even covers my clutch so if I burn it out in DC traffic it's covered.
Old 6/23/10, 09:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HokieCodeMonkey
If you get 19's you might want to consider a tire coverage plan. I went with the tire coverage so both my rim and rubber are covered from damage. I know after damaging 3 sets of tires on my Civic that the costs on tire and rim repair are huge and those were dinky little tires. 100 more a month got me extended warranty, maintenance, and tire coverage. The maintenance plan even covers my clutch so if I burn it out in DC traffic it's covered.
I'll have to look into that. What was the cost? 100?!
Old 6/23/10, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by emilram11
I'll have to look into that. What was the cost? 100?!
100 a month was for everything. Extended warranty, extended maintenance, and tire coverage. Might be a bit much but not having to freak out about my tires or clutch plate is worth it in my book. I don't know what your dealer might offer you but those were what my dealer offered and I skipped on the GAP insurance ( 15k down kinda defeats that ) and any sort of coating they tried to put on the car.

The maintenance cost had a $100 deductible which is great for what I'm paying a month. I'm planning on keeping this car until one of us dies. A lot can happen in 5 years and even cars that are kept in excellent condition can have expensive parts wear out. Especially with a new model engine you never know what might happen so I'm going to play it safe with some strong insurance and maintenance coverage. That extra 100 a month might be the difference between a Mustang and a BMW but when that beamer breaks down you are going to wish you had that coverage.

Last edited by HokieCodeMonkey; 6/23/10 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: The search is over 5.0. Almost anyway