2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Roush Install

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/15, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush Install

What a PITA. Worst written instructions I have ever read. You would think for over $5,000 they would include a hose assembly or two and some plug and play electrical connections. Depinning stinks. Almost wish I had bought a Procharger Stage 2. To top it off they now charge $100 for their crappy tune to maintain their warranty.
Old 4/7/15, 03:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just did this install. I had zero issues. However I did purchase the VMP plug and play harness kit. So I only had to make one wire modification for the air charge sensor. VMP charges $150 for the harness but it's worth every penny.

I do agree that the tune voucher is BS. How can it be a voucher if you pay $100? The $100 covers the overnight freight back to you. The roush customer service is awesome.

Make certain you change your plugs and gap them correctly. I didn't use the plugs in the kit. I used NGK iridium that was one step colder.

the only hose modification I had to make was for the vacuum lines for the brake booster but I have an auto and that was a bit more involved than the manual cars. Still it wasn't difficult.

I also found these supplemental instructions online and they saved my butt

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...832-421277.pdf

Last edited by 2014GHIGGT; 4/7/15 at 03:59 AM.
Old 4/7/15, 06:34 AM

I am taking my time with the install. One of the retirement benefits. Another retired friend is helping. He use to write instruction manuals among other things. His comment, "Were they on drugs when they wrote this". I should have bought the VMP P&P. My car is also an A6.
Old 4/7/15, 07:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cjd223
I am taking my time with the install. One of the retirement benefits. Another retired friend is helping. He use to write instruction manuals among other things. His comment, "Were they on drugs when they wrote this". I should have bought the VMP P&P. My car is also an A6.
man i hate to say this but your better off putting the money into getting a tune through VMP. Justin does great stuff with the roush superchargers and A6's.

I would just skip getting a tune through roush all together and get in contact with justin and see if he can get you a tune that will be wayyyy better then the roush one.

Also the VMP instructions were a bit... lacking as well since they took the roush one and just made it there own. But i gave them some input on what they should change and i think they adjusted it.
Old 4/7/15, 11:12 AM

I recently finished an install of Roush phase 3 kit and definitely agree with the electrical harnesses. For this kinda of money there is no reason to be depinning factory connectors. Just the correct connector on the new harness to interface with facotry. I was able to follow the instructions and didn't have any issues except for some of the pictures are more less solid black as the instructions are a copy of a copy of a copy, etc. Again, printing a copy from a digital file with clear pictures should not be a problem at this price. I took my time and everything was OK at end. No missing parts. Started right up and no error codes. lol
Old 4/7/15, 09:09 PM

I would never pay Roush the $100 tune charge. There is a pretty good shop in southern MS that I will most likely use for an email tune. They do a lot of Mustangs. He is very reasonable cost wise. Lund quoted me $450 for a email tune. Too rich for my blood. The two worst parts of the install were depinning all the connectors and trying to get the one transmission cooler line apart. I spent two hours trying to get it apart. I even had the correct tool. Got mad and cut it apart with a diamond wheel. Wonder what Justin charges for a tune.
Old 4/7/15, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a super easy install, just take your time and learn a thing or two along the way.
Old 4/8/15, 02:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why would you never pay $100? You're going to pay more for a tune locally. The roush tune may not be the greatest on power but you don't have to worry either. 575 HP out of the box ain't bad. why not get the roush tune and see how you like it before you trash it. Besides it will be a great safe base tune to which you can go back.
Old 4/8/15, 02:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Matoolie
I recently finished an install of Roush phase 3 kit and definitely agree with the electrical harnesses. For this kinda of money there is no reason to be depinning factory connectors. Just the correct connector on the new harness to interface with facotry. I was able to follow the instructions and didn't have any issues except for some of the pictures are more less solid black as the instructions are a copy of a copy of a copy, etc. Again, printing a copy from a digital file with clear pictures should not be a problem at this price. I took my time and everything was OK at end. No missing parts. Started right up and no error codes. lol

Is your bottom end of your engine stock?

Last edited by 2014GHIGGT; 4/8/15 at 02:28 AM.
Old 4/8/15, 06:12 AM

That's 575 crank hp. You are looking at 480-490 rwhp with an A6 car. A good tuner can get you 540-560 rwhp. The weakest items in the 5.0 Coyote are the rods. You start stressing them at the 650rwhp level. The Roush tune is based on 91 octane gas. We have good 93 octane gas around Birmingham. I plan on adding a bottle of Lucas octane booster every tank as my car is not a daily driver. Cheap insurance for the 82mm pulley. A friend of mine ran 10.50 - 10.60 with his A6 car stock gear and stock rear suspension.
Old 4/8/15, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's 575 crank hp. You are looking at 480-490 rwhp with an A6 car. A good tuner can get you 540-560 rwhp. The weakest items in the 5.0 Coyote are the rods. You start stressing them at the 650rwhp level. The Roush tune is based on 91 octane gas. We have good 93 octane gas around Birmingham. I plan on adding a bottle of Lucas octane booster every tank as my car is not a daily driver. Cheap insurance for the 82mm pulley. A friend of mine ran 10.50 - 10.60 with his A6 car stock gear and stock rear suspension.
Yeah I never indicated 575HP to the wheel.

Didn't say it was great either. Lol.

Just said it was safe.

😃
Old 4/8/15, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The two worst parts of the install were depinning all the connectors and trying to get the one transmission cooler line apart. I spent two hours trying to get it apart. I even had the correct tool. Got mad and cut it apart with a diamond wheel. Wonder what Justin charges for a tune.
I did the same thing with my tranny line. Then about a month later I found out I could have just moved the line. I think VMP charges 350 for remote tuning, but you need an sct tuner. I'm happy with Justin's tune and I should be close to 600rwhp with the 82mm and OR pipe.
Old 4/9/15, 05:16 AM

I have a SCT tuner from American Muscle. I was running one of their 93V2 tunes. Surprisingly good tune. Zero drive ability issues. They offered to do a free tune for my Roush. I will probably go with JMS. They tuned a Mustang last week that put out 615 rwhp with an OR pipe and Roush 82mm. Their price is $150. I will probably finish up the install today. My IDPA shooting is interfering with my install. Wife and I are getting ready for the Alabama State Championship match in two weeks.
Old 4/9/15, 06:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a SCT tuner from American Muscle. I was running one of their 93V2 tunes. Surprisingly good tune. Zero drive ability issues. They offered to do a free tune for my Roush. I will probably go with JMS. They tuned a Mustang last week that put out 615 rwhp with an OR pipe and Roush 82mm. Their price is $150. I will probably finish up the install today. My IDPA shooting is interfering with my install. Wife and I are getting ready for the Alabama State Championship match in two weeks.
i would never let bama give me a tune for a blower lol.
Old 4/9/15, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I shoot uspsa. What gun/caliber do you shoot?
Old 4/11/15, 04:24 PM

My wife shoots a Glock 34 in SSP. I usually shoot a G35 in SSP. I have been shooting the last couple of months in the new Division - CCP. Compact Carry Pistol. Shooting the gun I carry every day - G23. I was a 3 gun Master until my motorcycle crash 5 years ago this July. IDPA let me start all over as a Marksman after I sent them a list of my injuries. I am currently a 4 gun Expert. A ZX10 Kawasaki and guard rail post don't work well together. Factory defect shut down my motor going into a curve.
Old 4/11/15, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

My wife shoots a Glock 34 in SSP. I usually shoot a G35 in SSP. I have been shooting the last couple of months in the new Division - CCP. Compact Carry Pistol. Shooting the gun I carry every day - G23. I was a 3 gun Master until my motorcycle crash 5 years ago this July. IDPA let me start all over as a Marksman after I sent them a list of my injuries. I am currently a 4 gun Expert. A ZX10 Kawasaki and guard rail post don't work well together. Factory defect shut down my motor going into a curve.
First. I'm sorry to hear. Hope you're recovering well and had a good attorney.

I dont't know much about glock. I know of a few people that shoot them and have great success.

I'm a 1911 nut and have about 7 of them in various configurations and calibers.

Complete custom built .45 6" long slide double stack.

.45 para black ops double stack

Colt delta elite 10mm

Custom government model .38 super double stack

Kimber .38 super government

Kimber 9mm government.

Sig sauer ultra carry .45 3.25" barrel

This is where I deviate a bit tanfoglio witness elite in .38 super.

The 10MM is a beast of a caliber.

Glad to see you're doing well.

Robert
Old 4/12/15, 03:13 PM

We have several Kimbers, 2 x .45 Stainless Target, 4" Pro Carry HD and a SA 9mm Range Officer. Trying to decide if I want to shoot my G23 or the 4" Kimber in CCP.
Old 4/12/15, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kimber is a solid gun for the money. I still believe Smith to make the best out of the box 1911, followed by Para. I don't own any Smith's but they are awesome.

Last edited by 2014GHIGGT; 4/12/15 at 04:56 PM.
Old 4/12/15, 06:38 PM

I have two issues with the Roush install. 1. I can't get the intercooler to purge. No coolant circulation. 2. I have no brakes. Supposedly there is a check valve needed. There was not one in the kit.

Quick Reply: Roush Install