2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Rock chips are you serious

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/11, 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock chips are you serious

Is it just me or is this happening to anyone else- i wash this car like 4 times a week and never noticed this at all until last night. I get it all dried looking perfect and i see like dirt on the bottom of the door and front fender area- im thinking to myself did i miss that whole area so i get on my knees and swipe my finger across it and it wont come off so i know its not dirt. I go grab my clay bar and try to see if its in the clearcoat and nope doesnt get any better. It looks like a machine gun plastered tons of rock chips along the whole bottom of the door and fender. Im super careful trying to avoid everything in the road and this happens. It looks like crap now and cant believe it. Ill take a picture tonight for you and see what you guys think. Im banging my head against the wall because i should have put some clear vinyl on it now im thinking of putting some silver vinyl on it to cover it up- its going to bug me so much now.
Old 8/11/11, 07:44 AM
Cur
V6 Member

This is the exact reason I just spent the money on having paint protection film put on my 2012. In 3 weeks I already had I nice pair of chips on the top of my passenger side fender. Got some Duplicolor paint to fix it up and had the paint protection on the next week.

Look into Dr Colorchip for repair a lot of them, I used it on my wife's Lexus to fix the front of her hood / bumper. Works great and looks like a perfect match from about a meter away.
Old 8/11/11, 07:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
Is it just me or is this happening to anyone else- i wash this car like 4 times a week and never noticed this at all until last night. I get it all dried looking perfect and i see like dirt on the bottom of the door and front fender area- im thinking to myself did i miss that whole area so i get on my knees and swipe my finger across it and it wont come off so i know its not dirt. I go grab my clay bar and try to see if its in the clearcoat and nope doesnt get any better. It looks like a machine gun plastered tons of rock chips along the whole bottom of the door and fender. Im super careful trying to avoid everything in the road and this happens. It looks like crap now and cant believe it. Ill take a picture tonight for you and see what you guys think. Im banging my head against the wall because i should have put some clear vinyl on it now im thinking of putting some silver vinyl on it to cover it up- its going to bug me so much now.
I have read that the paint chipping, on these cars, was an issue. That's why I had 3M Clear Bra installed, right after I brought it home. The car still looks good & I don't worry near as much.

Last edited by The Sheriff; 8/11/11 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Re-write.
Old 8/11/11, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah but did you only put the the 3M stuff on the hood? because mine is the sides of the car from the tires picking up rocks.
Old 8/11/11, 07:48 AM
Cur
V6 Member

yeah but did you only put the the 3M stuff on the hood? because mine is the sides of the car from the tires picking up rocks.
You can have them install it there too. Good installation places have machines that can cut it any shape, or the techs can do it too.
Old 8/11/11, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im liking this Dr colorchip stuff- ill give that a try and then look in protective clearing? how much does that usually cost?
Old 8/11/11, 08:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got them on my hood as of recently. It probably doesn't help I drive past a rock quarry every day either. I'm kicking myself too for not getting the 3M clear guards when I got the car.
Old 8/11/11, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a minor amount of this just past the front wheels on the lower fenders. Almost every car I've owned has done this to an extent. My c6 corvette probably the worst. The 03 Cobra I had liked to do it on the aft section of the rocker panels.
Old 8/11/11, 09:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The moral of this story: If you really love your car...don't drive it.
Old 8/11/11, 10:05 AM
Cur
V6 Member

Im liking this Dr colorchip stuff- ill give that a try and then look in protective clearing? how much does that usually cost?
It really looks decent as long as you aren't on top of it.

Clear bra / paint protection films vary, depending on what film they use / location.

I paid $630 for Xpel Extreme, which is supposed to be one of the best. Full frontal protection, and on the mirrors too. It's spendy, but 5 years down the road when you peel it off you paint will look like the day you picked it up.
Old 8/11/11, 11:06 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Sheriff
I have read that the paint chipping, on these cars, was an issue. That's why had 3M Clear Bra installed, right after I brought it home. The car still looks good & I don't worry near as much.
3M FTW!
Old 8/11/11, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cur

It really looks decent as long as you aren't on top of it.

Clear bra / paint protection films vary, depending on what film they use / location.

I paid $630 for Xpel Extreme, which is supposed to be one of the best. Full frontal protection, and on the mirrors too. It's spendy, but 5 years down the road when you peel it off you paint will look like the day you picked it up.
Dang 630 for the front and mirrors? Imagine how much a full body cpating would cost :O
Old 8/11/11, 01:14 PM
GT Member

Yes, I had a Hood, Fender & Mirror kit installed, along with the Rocker Panels, the area behind the rear tires, A-Pillars, the Door Handle area & the luggage area protected. It cost just over $1,000.00, but was worth it to me for the piece of mind. Consider what a quality body shop would charge you just to repaint a hood & you'll understand why I went with the Clear Bra.
Old 8/11/11, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I noticed this and installed some JLT carbon splash guards and this has seemed to have stopped the chips along the lower door panel etc. Only problem now is the lower plastic trim is still rough like sand paper.

Seems with the wheels much wider than the lower part of the car any small stones or debris get flung up on the bodywork.
Old 8/11/11, 01:31 PM

Splash Guards

If you want to keep ther chips off the sides of the car install a set of $50 splash guards,
Old 8/11/11, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have the rear- cant seem to find good front ones

i only see these and they dont look to good lol
http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1926

Last edited by way2qk4u2c; 8/11/11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 8/11/11, 01:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by The Sheriff
Yes, I had a Hood, Fender & Mirror kit installed, along with the Rocker Panels, the area behind the rear tires, A-Pillars, the Door Handle area & the luggage area protected. It cost just over $1,000.00, but was worth it to me for the piece of mind. Consider what a quality body shop would charge you just to repaint a hood & you'll understand why I went with the Clear Bra.
I did the same + the front bumper/foglights/headlights/part of the roof just behind the windshield....
Old 8/11/11, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I think ill just get the whole front end, rocker panels, doors, and whole rear bumper. Might cost a pretty penny but with the majority of roads in my city being under construction and rocks all over the place itll be worth it in the long run. Heck might even get everything except the windows
Old 8/11/11, 01:57 PM

i have the rear- cant seem to find good front ones

i only see these and they dont look to good lol
http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1926
They are not the best looking but they are effective. 5000 miles and not a single chip on mine.
Old 8/11/11, 01:58 PM
V6 Member

Be thankful you dont have a toyota/lexus product....Their paint is 10x worse for chipping and clearcoat scratches....

Quick Reply: Rock chips are you serious