2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Road noise

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/11, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road noise

I'm the owner of a 2011 GT premium and love the car.. My only issue is the noise from small rocks and pebbles hitting the wheel wells/underside while driving.. Anyone know a way to limit this down?? Will splash guards help??
thanks
Old 3/27/11, 07:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Might try some sort of undercoating in the wheel wells. Most parts store have a spray on type. Protect the body/paint of the car if you use some. Splash guards only protect the exterior body panels from getting chipped from throwing rocks.
Old 3/27/11, 09:40 AM
Cobra R Member

DOn't know where you are goegraphically, but here in Virginia we are coming off a winter where a lot of sand was applied to the streets and so there's still plenty of the pesky pebbles all over the place. Over time (a few more weeks) the "marbles" should continue to disperse such that they won't be EVERYWHERE and thus get sprayed by the tires against the various parts of the car.
Old 3/27/11, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm going to take a guess and say that you probably have the Brembo package on your car?

Certain tires (especially stickier compound tires) tend to pick up rocks and fling them at the wheel wells.

Outside of putting a pretty thick layer of undercoating in the wheel wells, that's just noise you have to deal with (on any car with this type of tire).

You could try a different set of course, but depending on their compound, it may or may not be any better.
Old 3/27/11, 09:35 PM

this stuff in the wheel wells...i've used it with success for sound insulation and protection. easy to apply with a big brush. remains rubbery, no smell. splash guards for the rear.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyPaintProtectants/PRD~0477928P/Black%252BAsphalt%252BUndercoating.jsp?locale=en

Last edited by jazzcat; 3/27/11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 3/28/11, 08:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what comes on my BMW's inner wheel well. It feels like a fibrous material but it doesn't get nasty when wet or anything but the rocks are nearly dead silent and no road harshness from the tires. When I figure that out, maybe, I'll try and report back.

If I get nowhere, you can always go with a rubberized bed liner material. We used to do this when I was building lowered half ton trucks and what not.
Old 3/28/11, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the first thing I noticed when I got my car. Is this common on real sport coupes? I remember seeing a similar complain in a 350Z/370Z forum.
Old 3/28/11, 09:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm used to driving my 95 Vert GT. As long as it wasn't raining, my top was down. This 11 Coupe sounds just quiet! I have noticed those rocks/pebble sounds, though. I am deaf in my left ear so I can't tell where sounds come from. I only know there's a sound.

I've seen that Lizard Skin stuff on PowerBlock. Might that work? I won't do anything to mine, for you.
Old 3/30/11, 07:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi ktm450exc,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your GT! Have you spoken to your Ford dealer about this? If you make an appointment with them, could you send me your VIN, mileage, dealer, and contact info so I can research this further?

Deysha
Old 3/30/11, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I'm still trying to figure out what comes on my BMW's inner wheel well. It feels like a fibrous material but it doesn't get nasty when wet or anything but the rocks are nearly dead silent and no road harshness from the tires. When I figure that out, maybe, I'll try and report back.

If I get nowhere, you can always go with a rubberized bed liner material. We used to do this when I was building lowered half ton trucks and what not.
Not sure when but Ford is suppose to be going to the fiber wheel wells soon. Not only does it cut down on road noise but it saves weight. I have to say that may not be all great though. My wifes Subaru Legacy had them. She got behind a truck leaking something and ended up with it embeded in the wheel wells. It came off everywhere but that fiber easily.