Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RIP 2014... Just ordered a 2016!

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/15, 10:31 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
But the fact he just totaled a car has to be part of the pricing by UWing, isn't it?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Each company is different, many have forgiveness policies depending on claim history, some have vanishing deductibles. If his company has a forgiveness program, a lot might depend on the length of time hes been with them and prior claims.
Old 8/4/15, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear, glad you're ok. Wouldn't jump and say it was entirely your fault just yet because once the horse emblem is put on the car, you KNOW it's hard to resist. Not so much like the steering on these cars though. Sad to see suspension works in need for safety rather than performance gain. Those Mustang Youtube videos! Speaking of which, were those tires stock?
Old 8/4/15, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It's rare when someone on the internets is man (or woman) enough to own up to their own screw-ups...so you deserve a pat on the back for that.

Most of us who have experienced this kind of loss of control (myself included) probably have a pretty good idea how you must have felt...sometimes you squeak by and save it (luck), sometimes you end up in a ditch. Regardless, we should all learn from these mistakes and it sounds like you certainly have.

Glad you didn't get hurt...I hope your '16 is as much fun as the '14!
Old 8/4/15, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ouch! Stupid hurts and nobody is exempt, not even me!

This is fine example of why people who buy performance cars should include in the purchase price, a weekend at the track with a professional driver so they can learn the limits of their car, and more importantly, their own skill level and limitations.

Glad nobody was hurt...and it sounds like lesson learned...unfortunately the hard way.

John
Old 8/4/15, 02:39 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,224 Posts
Wow,...that sucks. Good thing you or anyone else was not hurt!
Good luck going forward with the 2015!
Old 8/4/15, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MRGTX
It's rare when someone on the internets is man (or woman) enough to own up to their own screw-ups...so you deserve a pat on the back for that.

Most of us who have experienced this kind of loss of control (myself included) probably have a pretty good idea how you must have felt...sometimes you squeak by and save it (luck), sometimes you end up in a ditch. Regardless, we should all learn from these mistakes and it sounds like you certainly have.

Glad you didn't get hurt...I hope your '16 is as much fun as the '14!
Yep, lots of credit to you for having the stones to admit it. The first time I turned off the traction control in my car, I did two complete 360s and missed hitting a telephone pole by about five feet. This kind of thing is why I shake my head at so many people adding superchargers to their cars when they truly probably can't even handle the 412 their GT came with, not to mention all the old guys buying Shelbys and then Super Snakes and crap like that.
Old 8/4/15, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok. Those pics are a bit gut wrenching.

This is why I love track days and autocross events. Gives you a chance to lay it out and get it out of your system in a controlled eviroment. My first autocross in the Roush I rounded a corner similar to a street corner I would take aggressively with my previous sports cars. I mashed the gas in 2 gear much too early in the corner, smoked the tires, back end whipped around and ended up spun around 50 feet off the course. Had I done that on the street my story probably ended much like yours. Instead I just ended safely with just the smell of burnt rubber filling the cabin and need a change of shorts.

You are man enough to admit your mistake, now it's just time to learn from it. Go to track events with instructors and learn the limits of the cars while doing making the most important mod you can do to your car, make yourself a better driver.

Last edited by SplitSecond; 8/4/15 at 07:00 PM.
Old 8/4/15, 07:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
A performance oriented driving course is on my list of things to do one day.
Old 8/4/15, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you are ok. But sad to see on a fellow Glassback. Is that a Track Pack car? Or did you just add the wheels? Looks like the Brembo Wheel on my phone anyway...
Old 8/4/15, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13

I was too heavy on the foot before I counter-steered...rookie mistake... but then again, I AM a rookie haha. If I ever do something like this again it will be in a huge empty parking lot nowhere near any ditches...

You got my sympathy in your first post-- you owned up to your mistake and indicated that you intended to change your driving habits... like an old man(?). But then you made this moronic statement. Number one, why would you think some business owner would want you ripping and tearing on the pavement of his parking lot? Is that any sort of mature outlook on your part? You might consider Horsepla's suggestion to acquire some training in driving a machine with considerable torque and horsepower before you take possession of another such vehicle. Two quotes come to my mind that you might just think about:

"A man's got to know his own limitations." "Dirty Harry" Callahan

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." George Santayana
Old 8/4/15, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Its all good man, just as long as youre fine.

Even in an empty parking lot when you go to spin it you will notice that she wont spin in a circle. To do an actual donut takes some work and practice behind the wheel.

The damage on the car seems pretty extensive for just spinning it into a ditch which was almost level with the road... the damage to the grille is a little strange for me... but hey, accidents are always freakish in and of themselves i guess.
Old 8/5/15, 03:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
That must have been one heck of a fishtail. You can wreck you car just like that at the track too. If it's going to happen it doesn't matter where you are.
Old 8/5/15, 05:45 AM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier...work was slammed and I didn't even have time to jump on the computer last night...

Originally Posted by Mustang-4.6
So sorry about your car, she was a beauty for sure. Glad you are ok though, that is really the most important thing and that noboby was hurt. Are you going to order a convertable or coupe?
I ordered the coupe (or fastback, I guess, is it's official name now)

Originally Posted by JCStang
Did you get a quote for insurance on a 16...I'm thinking you will get hit with a big increase.....
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Every state is different, but there should be little difference in the cost between a '14 and '16. They are essentially the same car in the eyes of the insurance underwriters....same cost basis, rating, cost to repair, etc.

Here in NJ I'm actually paying less for my '14 GT convertible than my '14 Fusion.
Yes, I was quoted about $15 more a month for the '16. That does not include the insurance points that will be tacked on. My insurance renews in February so it will increase about $120 more a month... I can live with that...I have to! ha

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Sorry to hear, glad you're ok. Wouldn't jump and say it was entirely your fault just yet because once the horse emblem is put on the car, you KNOW it's hard to resist. Not so much like the steering on these cars though. Sad to see suspension works in need for safety rather than performance gain. Those Mustang Youtube videos! Speaking of which, were those tires stock?
Originally Posted by SplitSecond
You are man enough to admit your mistake, now it's just time to learn from it. Go to track events with instructors and learn the limits of the cars while doing making the most important mod you can do to your car, make yourself a better driver.
Yes they are the stock Pirelli tires...car had 23,000 miles on it. I'd def say you're right with the car being hard to resist PonyMuscletang13... but now I have a visual of what can happen so I won't be doing this again without someone training me on a course! Def not on public roads.

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Glad you are ok. But sad to see on a fellow Glassback. Is that a Track Pack car? Or did you just add the wheels? Looks like the Brembo Wheel on my phone anyway...
Yes it's a Track Pack car! I will def miss the glass roof...it's the main reason I chose this car instead of the GHIG car at the time I was looking. They both had the same options aside from that roof... the S550's don't even offer it anymore! I'm upset about that.

Originally Posted by Mickstang
You got my sympathy in your first post-- you owned up to your mistake and indicated that you intended to change your driving habits... like an old man(?).
Just an expression... didn't mean anything specific about old men... ha Just meant being more careful than usual

But then you made this moronic statement. Number one, why would you think some business owner would want you ripping and tearing on the pavement of his parking lot? Is that any sort of mature outlook on your part?
I never said that "I thought some business owner would want me ripping and tearing on the pavement of his parking lot." I was merely saying this as an alternative to driving recklessly on public roads..away from putting others at risk. So yes, I would say it is a more mature outlook on my part...

You might consider Horsepla's suggestion to acquire some training in driving a machine with considerable torque and horsepower before you take possession of another such vehicle.
Thank you for your suggestion. In fact I will be doing this.

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Its all good man, just as long as youre fine.

Even in an empty parking lot when you go to spin it you will notice that she wont spin in a circle. To do an actual donut takes some work and practice behind the wheel.

The damage on the car seems pretty extensive for just spinning it into a ditch which was almost level with the road... the damage to the grille is a little strange for me... but hey, accidents are always freakish in and of themselves i guess.
Originally Posted by Glenn
That must have been one heck of a fishtail. You can wreck you car just like that at the track too. If it's going to happen it doesn't matter where you are.
Ya the way I spun out, the front left corner skimmed the ditch as the rear end swung HARD following... The front grille is just a plastic piece that popped when the bumper got forced in a little. I wasn't even going fast... but the tires...they were spinning pretty fast, which caused it to whip...
All the damage of course is because the ditch was deep... if it was flat there wouldn't have been nearly the same damage if not any at all...

Here's to better times... ha Thanks again for all of your sympathy and criticism. Either way what is done is done. I have learned and will continue to learn from this horrible mistake!

Name:  20150203_165003.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  150.7 KB

Last edited by CoyotePremium13; 8/5/15 at 05:57 AM.
Old 8/5/15, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First things first: I'm glad the OP is OK, and I'm sorry about the loss of a well-set-up Mustang.

But.... All those years I spent driving cars without disk brakes or ABS, let alone "AdvanceTrac" software, from the first one I ever bought -- a '68 Dodge Charger with a 440/six pack purchased when I was college student in 1974.... How did I ever survive to become an "old man"?

Easily. I drove like I knew no one was there to hold my hand. And still had fun.
Old 8/5/15, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Like others have said, you can still lose it at the track - this gent was driving a Mustang too

http://jalopnik.com/driver-killed-at...ent-1722117428
Old 8/6/15, 04:36 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
I can say I've been tempted to shut off all the safety features and let it rip. I haven't driven enough with this kind of power to even go to the track yet. I just don't feel like I know the car well enough.

Good luck!
Old 8/6/15, 06:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
I can say I've been tempted to shut off all the safety features and let it rip. I haven't driven enough with this kind of power to even go to the track yet. I just don't feel like I know the car well enough.

Good luck!
Might I suggest autocrossing then? You will learn fantastic car control but never be going fast enough to really do damage and, at worst, you'll hit some cones and maybe do a bit of minor body damage.
Old 8/6/15, 06:03 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
That would be something I'd like to try. I really love the drag strip and used to take my 2000 there every spring and fall to see if my newest mod helped my time.
Old 8/7/15, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I now have more respect for the Brembo wheels after seeing the pics and the axle damage it inflicted without breaking.
Old 8/8/15, 04:44 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's hard to look at for me. I am happy to see you taking responsibility for it though and hope you enjoy your 2016 Mustang. A lot of people have trouble driving a car with a live rear axle and yes, they do have a lot of power. If I may suggest it, a driving course or two wouldn't hurt so you can have some fun with your 2016 Mustang and be safe about it.

I love my 2014 Mustang, but I grew up driving classic cars, Classic muscle cars, and true beasts. One thing I love about the 2014 is that old-school LRA. The cars today, with all the nannies, are so tame. They tend to make unskilled drivers feel a lot more skilled and confident than they actually are. It's a false confidence that can easily get you into trouble.

Most of the C7 corvette owners would have their vehicles trashed in a matter of seconds if they turned off all the nannies. Cars today just don't put you in touch with that raw-power like the old school vehicles did. The 2014 still does that to some extent. Even more so with a tune.

There's just something disconnected about driving a modern car today with all the nannies engaged. Know what I mean? The 2014 Mustang is the last of that breed in my opinion.

Quick Reply: RIP 2014... Just ordered a 2016!