Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Reviews and Experience with Aluminum DS

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/14, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviews and Experience with Aluminum DS

Hello:

I am thinking about changing my stock driveshaft to aluminum one but I see there are few different brands of them. Some with adaptor and some without. I was wondering if you could share your experience with different aluminum DS that you have used.

Thanks.

Last edited by wrkhrd; 6/22/14 at 10:35 AM.
Old 6/22/14, 10:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wrkhrd
Hello:

I am thinking about changing my stock driveshaft to aluminum one but I see there are few different brands of them. Some with adaptor and some without. I was wondering if you could share your experience with different aluminum DS that you have used.

Thanks.
Welcome too the zoo bro. Not sure what model you have but I have an 11 3.7 and purchased my one piece aluminum driveshaft from American Muscle. Its manufactured by the Axle Exchange and has excellent quality according to all the research I could find. I'm glad I purchased one based on how I like to operate my pony on an occasional times. Ha ha ha ha.
Old 6/22/14, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Ran a shaftmasters (shaftmasters.com) on my 2005 v6 and loved it, smoothed out the driveline nicely.
Old 6/22/14, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I did a lot of research as it is not an inexpensive mod. It seems that most people are satisfied with the manufacture they picked. The install can run into problems if directions are not followed precisely. I run a Shaftmasters DS as it does not use an adapter plate and customer satisfaction rate for the last 2 years is 99 percent.
Old 6/22/14, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I decided on the DSS driveshaft. Mainly for the cv joint and the 1350 u joint. I'm lowered, so with the DSS when I checked my pinion angle was fine. It all comes down to what you want out of the product.
Old 6/22/14, 05:53 PM
GT Member

All true, have not had any problems with my one up to 140mph
Old 6/22/14, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by racksteris
All true, have not had any problems with my one up to 140mph
These are some of my reasons.

[QUOTE+ smoothed out the driveline nicely.[/QUOTE]

And this is another reason.

I don't really plan to lower the car. Although I like the stance of 1-1.5" lowered Mustangs but since my car see great deal of city driving, bumps and potholes, I'd rather to stay with the stock height.
What is this CV joint with DSS and the other don't? Although that may help with pinion angle but cant that be a weak link compare with the others?

Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming.
Old 6/22/14, 08:29 PM
Post *****

These are some of my reasons.

What is this CV joint with DSS and the other don't? Although that may help with pinion angle but cant that be a weak link compare with the others?

Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming.
I can only speak to the GT. The 2 piece is for safety in the event of rear end collisions, NVH, as well as to avoid hitting the fuel tanks at full jounce at (GT) top speed, and keeps drive train resonance above the speed limiter. There is no roll in with the CV joint. All of the above according to a Ford engineer that used to post here.
https://themustangsource.com/f726/cl...4/#post6816836

If you guys search a bit, this subject has been well covered.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/22/14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 6/22/14, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

There's a weak link in every product ever made.
Old 6/22/14, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thamac15
There's a weak link in every product ever made.
That is true but we try to avoid them if we know what they are.
Old 6/22/14, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

That is true but we try to avoid them if we know what they are.
You're going to have to research every possible option to see which fits your needs and budget. Read as many reviews, watch as many videos, and talk with as many vendors as you can to help base your opinion. It's what I do for everything I buy, literally everything except groceries.
Old 6/22/14, 10:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
My question is why would you change the DS??? I have never meet or heard of anyone not having an issue. Also saving a few pounds Really How much of a difference does it really make on a street car? Nothing!!

That is one MOD that I have never heard of anyone getting their moneys worth.

If any one has please let me know As I would like to learn more??
Old 6/22/14, 10:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
My question is why would you change the DS??? I have never meet or heard of anyone not having an issue. Also saving a few pounds Really How much of a difference does it really make on a street car? Nothing!!

That is one MOD that I have never heard of anyone getting their moneys worth.

If any one has please let me know As I would like to learn more??
It seems a lot of folks who replace the drive shaft find the driveline vibrations are seriously reduced or completely gone.

It also means less rotating mass for the engine to move, so there's a bit less power loss from the drive train.

Is it a huge improvement? Not really, but most mods don't offer huge improvements anyways, especially under $1000.

Plus for the V6 guys it offers more peace of mind if you track the car.
Old 6/22/14, 11:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
It seems a lot of folks who replace the drive shaft find the driveline vibrations are seriously reduced or completely gone.

It also means less rotating mass for the engine to move, so there's a bit less power loss from the drive train.

Is it a huge improvement? Not really, but most mods don't offer huge improvements anyways, especially under $1000.

Plus for the V6 guys it offers more peace of mind if you track the car.

Thank you I was always wondering about this. I can see for racing but not for street use.
Old 6/22/14, 11:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thank you I was always wondering about this. I can see for racing but not for street use.
The same is often said regarding lowering the car, suspension mods, tire mods, power mods, etc...
Old 6/23/14, 12:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It depends how you drive on the street. If you drive like Mr. Magoo, it's not for you.
Old 6/23/14, 03:48 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by TommyV
It depends how you drive on the street. If you drive like Mr. Magoo, it's not for you.
Old 6/23/14, 04:28 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

It's amazing how many Schumachers we got in this place. I guess you can still be a superstar online.
Old 6/23/14, 07:17 AM
Cobra Member

Some owners report a clunk when moving at low speeds like in your driveway or parking lots. My driveway is sloped and I got this noise, and my DSS shaft eliminated it. It also just 'feels' that the engine torque is delivered to the rear end more smoothly.

My favorite test is to make a run onto the highway on your favorite on ramp where you can rip off a few 6-7k shifts BEFORE upgrading and then after.

The DSS shaft is more expensive than Shaftmasters, but you can get 10% off at Lethal during the holiday sales. The install with the DSS was very easy too.
Old 6/23/14, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

My question is why would you change the DS??? I have never meet or heard of anyone not having an issue. Also saving a few pounds Really How much of a difference does it really make on a street car? Nothing!! That is one MOD that I have never heard of anyone getting their moneys worth. If any one has please let me know As I would like to learn more??
Once I went forced induction the stock driveshaft wouldn't have held up. I drag race. no way the stocker would have sufficed. The Shelby has a one piece carbon fiber driveshaft,...I wonder why. A lot of benefits result from a one piece stronger driveshaft.

Last edited by Thamac15; 6/23/14 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Reviews and Experience with Aluminum DS