The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Return of the SVO? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/return-svo-470010/)

edumspeed 7/14/08 02:48 PM

I really like both of your cars svopaul :metal::drool:
I don't really care for the # of cylinders on a car. There are many cars with 4 and 6 cylinders that can give a V8 a run for it's money.
I would be really interested if Ford offered an SVO again. As it was posted before, they were underrated. With today's technology in forced induction and engine management (like the Mazdaspeed3) it would be a real performer, with good mileage. That is the only part of my Mustang that really sucks :bad:
I've only driven a V6 2005 S197 and while it felt better footed, it still had the "heavy nose" feel of the previous models, but not as much as my 94 GT, of course.:doh:
Even if it came with a low pressure turbo, the aftermarket would take really good care of it, no problem. Imagine a limited edition HKS Mustang Turbo four w 700hp :drool:

inferno03 7/17/08 11:40 AM

it would be so awesome if the SVO came back. we need a quick little gas saving mustang

97GT03SVT 7/18/08 09:20 AM

I know it's off subject, but I spotted an 85' SVO for sale in my neck of the woods. It looks all stock with about 80k on it. Anyone know what kinda MPG these got from the factory? I'm thinking of buying this and using it as a summer/spring daily driver

WaltM 7/18/08 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 5601962)
Anyone know what kinda MPG these got from the factory? I'm thinking of buying this and using it as a summer/spring daily driver

I get about 17 city/24 Hwy.

GTJOHN 7/18/08 10:59 AM

Still would be a fun car to have!

svopaul 7/18/08 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 5601962)
I know it's off subject, but I spotted an 85' SVO for sale in my neck of the woods. It looks all stock with about 80k on it. Anyone know what kinda MPG these got from the factory? I'm thinking of buying this and using it as a summer/spring daily driver

My '86 in mildly modified form years ago netted me 31mpg on the way to Ford Carlisle....I had it in a perfect state of tune and had the injectors flow matched and balanced so that may have contributed to it. Don't expect to get great mileage though without making sure everything is up to par and you have a new fuel filter etc installed....and of course keeping your foot out of it has a BIG factor in MPG and that is often hard to do with an SVO.

I can promise you one thing....once you drive it, you'll be hooked!

97GT03SVT 7/19/08 07:38 AM

Paul, you seem to know a great deal about these cars. What are the areas I should check out and what expensive repairs can I expect? I really like the car and may purchase it. How would you compare it to say a stock 87-93 5.0 LX in terms of performance, MPG, reliability? Any info you can share would be a great deal of help thanks in advance.

svopaul 7/19/08 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 5602357)
Paul, you seem to know a great deal about these cars. What are the areas I should check out and what expensive repairs can I expect? I really like the car and may purchase it. How would you compare it to say a stock 87-93 5.0 LX in terms of performance, MPG, reliability? Any info you can share would be a great deal of help thanks in advance.

You could say that...LOL. SVO's are known to have some quirks if they have been sitting....oil leaks primarily but they are often caused by the installation of the wrong PCV valve....But for the most part they are fairly trouble free MOST of the time. Problem areas....Ball joints, they are not replaceable but there are options if you are not worried about originality. RH outer marker light...made of unobtanium for the most part....headlights, inner markers are repro'd and NOS LH outers are available but the RH one is VERY hard to find. The bumper cover is reproduced and "I" reproduce the headlight mounting panel, headlight adjuster plates and side spats.

Best thing I can suggest is to join the www.svoca.com forums There is A LOT of information there.....there are rules....basically keep it SVO specific so it is a targeted site for the SVO but there is little misinformation spread there so you can get good information. Also the SVO community is a good network system....often other members have helped people with hard to find parts.

Also the factory front brake calipers have Plastic pistons which WILL lock up on your during the hotter months...especially if the car has sat so get some rebuilt ones with metal pistons and at the very least flush the brake system....but the system is nearly all Lincoln Mark VII based so parts are easily available.

Comparing to a stock 87 5.0.....that's not a fair comparison because the cars are very different, once you drive one you'll understand but the car is nearly equally as fast with a quick boost pressure increase to being faster. The SVO FAR out handles the 5.0 and stops better and get's better mileage but the 5.0 has it's attributes as well....torque being one of them. The seats in the SVO which are made by Leer Seigler are FAR nicer than the 5.0 seats.

97GT03SVT 7/20/08 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info Paul, I will be taking a look and drive of the SVO. I am having a Ford mechanic go with me and check out the car too. From what the owner has told me is that the car is in good running shape but keep in mind that it is 20 years old. So as long as it can be had at a fair price I may add an unexpected pony to the stable.:jester:

svopaul 7/21/08 10:57 AM

Good luck! Keep us posted!

WaltM 9/4/08 09:16 AM

Bump!

Thought you might like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHHi...eature=related

Moosetang 9/4/08 01:54 PM

Lol, looks like a commercial for one of those short-lived 80s Sci-Fi TV shows.

laserred38 10/8/08 08:48 PM

Hey guys. I was going to start a new thread, but decided to resurrect this one. Is there any new info on the '10/'11 SVO? This pic was posted on the first or second page:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...8&d=1215129373

Did anyone notice the 9k RPM redline? I'm guessing this model won't be getting the 3.5/3.7TT because theres no way that V6 revs that high. I'm guessing were going to see a Turbo I-4 Mustang for the first time in over 20 years pretty soon!

laserred38 10/8/08 08:51 PM

On second look, this pic appears to be photoshopped to me :-/

2k7gtcs 10/8/08 08:54 PM

Yeah that stearing wheel and the turbo button are definitely chopped. But the 8 and 9 on the tach looks real. The just released photo of the mustang dash shows it goes to 8k with a 6k redline.

Boomer 10/8/08 08:54 PM

Yeah, as well as the TURBO button on the stearing wheel...

svopaul 10/9/08 06:44 AM

Definitely a chop.....first there is too much detail for an area that is supposed to be taped over to cover it and second a Turbocharger doesn't work off a button :shame:

WaltM 10/9/08 07:14 AM

As I remember, the car was an upfitter's interpretation of a new SVO. So whatever Ford would do, more than likely, would be different.

laserred38 10/9/08 10:23 AM

Yeah, when the pic was small, before I image tagged it, the SVO in the wheel didn't look so fake and the "Turbo" button, I thought would bring up some kind of boost gauge or A/F ratio gauge in the instrument cluster. But now that the pic is blown up, its very easy to tell. Anyone know anything about the 9k RPM gauge? Or is that chopped too...because that looks pretty real.

grrr428 10/9/08 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 5651740)
Yeah, when the pic was small, before I image tagged it, the SVO in the wheel didn't look so fake and the "Turbo" button, I thought would bring up some kind of boost gauge or A/F ratio gauge in the instrument cluster. But now that the pic is blown up, its very easy to tell. Anyone know anything about the 9k RPM gauge? Or is that chopped too...because that looks pretty real.

Blowing it up it looks pretty real, but it's hard to tell.