Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Replaced my Brembo Tires, pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/11, 05:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced my Brembo Tires, pics inside!

After 17000 miles on my stang, the 255/40 R19 Pirelli PZeros lost all of their hair and needed replacing.

I ended up going with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. 275/40 R19's all the way around.

No rubbing issues at all. The slightly higher profile tires added about .3 inches to the ride height.

I just finished a 1200 mile road trip on these bad boys over the weekend, and experienced everything from warm dry pavement to rain, sleet, and snow. The tires performed flawlessly.

I make this trip once every 2 weeks and the comparison between the two tires is night and day. Compared to the Pirellis, the most noticeable thing (especially on a brembo car) was how much smoother the ride was. My girlfriend even noticed and asked if I had done something to "fix" the car lol. The second most noticeable thing was the sound...these tires brought the road noise down by roughly half of what it was (The roads in Oklahoma demonstrated this best). Third, I would dare say that these things grip better than the Pirellis in dry conditions. Even when my Pirellis were new, they were easy to slip around . I have to really really get aggressive for these Michelin's to break. I realize the slightly larger diameter tires with my 3.73's may be affecting this, but its not enough to to feel any negative performance .

Sooo for those looking for a quality tire for replacements, these certainly have done the job for me. The tires are supposed to last 45,000 miles, I'll be happy with 30K.

These are going to be my daily driver tires. My RTR rims will be mounted with high performance summer tires for the track =)

Old 1/31/11, 05:59 PM
Cobra R Member

NICE! Shotzy swears by those tires. I think he put a set on his car as his winter tires.
Old 1/31/11, 06:41 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you are feeling your difference in the tire height, a taller tire makes a smoother ride and also you will have more sidewall roll in corners to make them feel like they have more grip since they would have more movement to go before they lose traction.

I would put money on the pirellis providing more grip then the ones you have dispite the butt test.
Old 1/31/11, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Very nice, especially if they go 30K+ miles. Will your speedo be off any?
Old 1/31/11, 08:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The extra width definitely helps in the grip department. In my experience, you really have to push to the limits of adhesion in a high performance driving situation on the track to see a difference.

It sounds like you have found a suitable street driving tire. Good luck!
Old 1/31/11, 10:26 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
I think you are feeling your difference in the tire height, a taller tire makes a smoother ride
Michelins tend to have fairly pliable sidewalls as well compared to alot of other brands, even the runflat version of this tire is pretty soft in the sidewall. The PS2's are also the same, nice pliable sidewall.
Old 2/1/11, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Excellent choice. You cant go wrong with these tires. The fronts will wear much better than the rears. I have gotten almost 50k out of the fronts and still had plenty of tread with about 70% of that on the highway.

This is the only tire that will ever go on any of my RWD high performance cars.

And they rock in the dry as well.
Old 2/1/11, 06:35 AM

Great choice of tire. I've had two sets in a row on my Audi. Best all around performing tire I've ever had. Dry performance is great, and I agree the low noise of these tires is stupendous. Just wish the tread pattern looked a little nicer...
Old 2/1/11, 09:51 PM
V6 Member

Have you noticed any downsides to the larger front tire size...such as any wandering or any tendency to follow ruts in the road?
Old 2/1/11, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know if its because the Pirellis were worn, but the Pirelli Summer PZero are light years ahead of the Mich A/S Pilots in the dry.

In fact the new summer PZero (Brembo GT) are better than even the mighty Mich PS2 summer tires.

Dave
Old 2/2/11, 07:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I did the same thing when my P Zero's died at around 10k. I put the 275 all around, but since then, I notice a humming sound around the passenger floor board when I take a spirited right turn. Have you noticed this at all? My dealer thinks it's because I put the 275 size on the front.

On the plus side, as you said, the ride is way smoother in all conditions. I still think the P-Zero's handled a little better, but the trade off is fine with me. The car was just too rough with them.
Old 2/2/11, 10:41 AM

Those tires look nice.

Any of you guys put the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires on your Mustang? I have the Brembo package, and these tires get strong reviews for ride quality.

The Pirelli summer tires do have amazing grip. But for daily driving on streets, quieting the road noise and smoothing out the road imperfections becomes more of a priority after the new wears off.
Old 2/2/11, 12:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Michelin's always have a very smooth ride.. why didn't you get 275/35's?
putting a taller tire on is the exact same thing as putting in a high gear ratio..
Old 2/2/11, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

These are the same tires my dad put on his Corvette. He loves them, says they work much better in wet or cold than the stock tires did, but he hasn't had a chance to drive them in summer. He said he suspected they wouldn't do quite as well in dry warm conditions, but that it was worth it for better wet traction. According to him the stock tires were near useless in the rain. Doesn't mean much for the discussion here as his old ones were Goodyear max performance something or other, not Pirellis, but I thought it worth mentioning that Vette owners put these on.
Old 2/2/11, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
17,000 miles?? Am the only one that's bothered by that incredibly low number?
Old 2/2/11, 04:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
My mazda 6 only got 23000 out of its first set of tires and my mothers mazda CX9 is gonna need them soon and its approaching 20000.

So no, I am not.

Perhaps we drive our cars hard. oh well!
Old 2/2/11, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
I'm actually surprised that the number is that high for a summer performance tire of that level. I've had some of the stickier summer performance tires only last 5-10k miles of mostly street miles with a few autocrosses thrown in. This isn't your average appliance car all-season tire we're talking about here.
Old 2/2/11, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I was kinda surprised to see that many miles on such a new car, lol.... I recently installed the same tires in my daily and it was a nice improvement over the previous factory continentals.
Old 2/2/11, 05:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by manashttu
Those tires look nice.

Any of you guys put the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires on your Mustang? I have the Brembo package, and these tires get strong reviews for ride quality.

The Pirelli summer tires do have amazing grip. But for daily driving on streets, quieting the road noise and smoothing out the road imperfections becomes more of a priority after the new wears off.
I did put Conti Extreme DW tires with my RTR wheels and must say i was very pleased with them, i have now switched to Conti contact Sport3 with my new SVTPP wheels.
Old 2/2/11, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

i replaced my backs with 275/35-19's nitto 555's. im replacing my fronts with nitto 55r's and 285/35-19. swapping them to the back. DR's for the summer.

Quick Reply: Replaced my Brembo Tires, pics inside!