Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Renting a 2013 V6 Vert!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/13, 02:49 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Renting a 2013 V6 Vert!!!

As title states... we're going on a trip to the city of sin, next week. We were originally planning on riding cabs, but given the food destinations we want to hit and the recurring cost of those cab rides (with tip), a little research showed that the cost of renting a convertible mustang is much less than the cab totals.

So here we are!

I get a 2013 V6 Mustang Vert next week.... this will be my first 2011+ V6 to drive. I'm curious how it compares to my Marilyn. I also want to see how the quality is on the convertible top, latches, and other components. Am also curious of the storage space. A convertible was one of my original choices (instead of coupe), but chose a coupe due to looks. Who knows... I might lean towards a Shelby vert....

Any tips for driving the V6??? Am I going to long for my 5oh? At least it will curb my appetite as Marilyn continues to hibernate.
Old 2/21/13, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
We rented one in Hawaii last November. That's why I decided to sell my S2000 and buy a Mustang. Mine should be delivered by next week.

I found that the adjustment to steering assist made a real difference. I have played with SelectShift just enough to know that the shifts happen more quickly if you lift your foot off the throttle just as you are pushing the + button. If I had known about Sync and voice commands and USB thumb drives ahead of time, I would have had a drive loaded with music. We travel light so had no problem with storage space. The V6 obviously won't be as fast as your 5.0, but it is no slouch either. Enjoy the vert.
Old 2/21/13, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am assuming it will be an auto, so the gearing isn't the same as the manuals, so take off won't be as good. But enjoy your time out there!!!
Old 2/21/13, 03:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you are testing the creature comforts rather than the performance aspect more or less so I hope that you give us a good write-up. I miss having a vert. So does my wife. I am also debating on one day getting a vert Shelby.
Old 2/21/13, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enjoy Vegas! Been there a few times on business or as a short stopover en route to Hawaii from the East Coast.

V6 has decent engine performance although it's not the fire breathing dragon of the GT or the Shelby. 305 hp on the TiVct v6 engine. Better than the prior lower powered v6 engine that sounded a bit rough in a highway passing maneuver.

Have rented the v6 Mustang convertible many times in Hawaii since 1998(and just bought my own in December). Convertibles are a larger portion of most rental fleets than you often see on the mainland.

Convertible fit and finish is nice. To lower the top, just turn on the ignition while in park, make sure the parking brake is on, lower the windows, undo the header latch on each side, and press the switch by the rearview mirror. Convertible top on the V6 is vinyl but I think a better quality one. If you eventually got a GT or a Shelby convertible, they have cloth top options.

Trunk space is a bit less due to a storage well that intrudes part way into the rear of the trunk (the folded top has to go somewhere...). 9.6 cubic feet rather than 13.4 cubic feet on your hard top. Still enough for a medium sized suitcase(mine is a 18"x23"x8" soft sided Delsey), and a small carry-on bag. If not enough trunk space for your luggage, you can put the extra bag(s) on the rear seat if just front seat passengers (you can drop the top to get the bag in the rear seat easier).

I have about half of my convertible trunk (towards the rear) filled with tools and winter stuff (folding shovel, traction mats, etc.), but there was still plenty of space on my way home to get groceries for four in the trunk, on the rear seat and rear floor mats.
Old 2/21/13, 09:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
You may get hit on though. I had to rent one when my car was wrecked/being repaired.

Long story short: I put my shades on and top down and had an average of three ladies a day ask for a ride. These were "nice" ladies too if you know what I mean.

This V6 was white with a tan top if it matters. The car was a little demon too. Oh the good times!!
Old 2/21/13, 09:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Edit: Lord have mercy, if that little car could talk... The things it would say to have witnessed under my care.
Old 2/21/13, 09:38 PM
I Have No Life

Lol.... Thx for the response guys. Sounds like we will enjoy our time there. We're celebrating our anniversary, so we thought we would splurge. Also, temps are in 70s next week. Woot woot.

So sounds like car won't be a slouch? That's a good. I have never driven a auto mustang either. So I hope that will be good.

I will definitely write up a mini review of the vert when I get back. Wife is excited that's for sure. She gets to drive it lol
Old 2/22/13, 02:02 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Have a great time. I guess I don't need to ask you to take plenty of photos

I'll be looking to rent a V6 'vert when we come over to the US later this year for the Woodward Dream Cruise.

The last time we rented one was back in 2004, so it was an SN95 'vert! The Mustang's come a long way since then

California Dreamin'

Name:  DSC00446.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  121.3 KB
Old 2/22/13, 12:59 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Have a great time. I guess I don't need to ask you to take plenty of photos

I'll be looking to rent a V6 'vert when we come over to the US later this year for the Woodward Dream Cruise.

The last time we rented one was back in 2004, so it was an SN95 'vert! The Mustang's come a long way since then

California Dreamin'

Thanks sir. Great pic. I am laughing at your pic comment. You know I will have my Nikon bag with me...hehe. I might bring my macbook too, so I can edit and post pics while there. haha.

Hopefully the weather cooperates so I can have the top down next week.
Old 3/1/13, 07:36 PM
I Have No Life

Drove this mustang vert rental to the Oakley vault and picked all these up at a ridiculous steal of a deal....

Overall.... The ride was good. I can't believe it has that much power for a 6 banger. No rattles either for the vert. We'd rent one again. It's making me think about getting a Shelby vert or gt vert.
Attached Thumbnails Renting a 2013 V6 Vert!!!-image-2527801686.jpg   Renting a 2013 V6 Vert!!!-image-451862669.jpg  
Old 3/1/13, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

I have a GT Vert (my 2nd) and this one is great! The '06 I had was good, but the '13 is pretty quiet and like you said, solid. With the front strut bar, it stays pretty stiff in the corners too...

And I was just in Vegas a few weeks ago! Love that place!
Old 3/1/13, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

I just picked up my 2014 V6 Premium convertible last evening and it is fabulous. I think it is as quiet as our '06 Accord V6 sedan and rides even better, and yet it handles great. I'm not getting on it yet (fewer than 100 miles at this point), but I can feel that there is serious power there.

Old 3/2/13, 08:38 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by tukatz
I just picked up my 2014 V6 Premium convertible last evening and it is fabulous. I think it is as quiet as our '06 Accord V6 sedan and rides even better, and yet it handles great. I'm not getting on it yet (fewer than 100 miles at this point), but I can feel that there is serious power there.
Nice ride there sir. The 13 v6s look so much better than the 12s
Old 3/2/13, 09:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I like the wheels on the 14 V6 Vert. Zto5 what is this Oakley Vault you speak of? I get my Oakley stuff through USStandardIssue because I'm military and I always get good poo.
Old 3/2/13, 10:13 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I like the wheels on the 14 V6 Vert. Zto5 what is this Oakley Vault you speak of? I get my Oakley stuff through USStandardIssue because I'm military and I always get good poo.
Steve.... Firstly I am an Oakley FANATIC. Read that again.... FANATIC. Don't ask me how many pairs I have.... But for starters, I have all but one of the Infinite Hero line. That's a sample of my collection lol. Infinite is my favorite. And my infinite juliets are my all time fave. My way of saying kudos and thanks to you and other folks in uniform. Because of you, I can drive my mustang in peace

Ok, Oakley vault is like the Oakley store, but it's clearanced or overstocked items with ridiculous deals. Over 50% off sometimes on new boxed items (not only display models). T shirts are like 10 bucks. Lanyards are like 5... And remember these are all NEW items.

Look em up on Oakley.com for closest one to you.
Old 3/2/13, 10:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks for the info although I'm almost positive that there isn't one near me. I'm in Germany at the moment. I have a set of tan Gascan's with the OD green flag O on the side. $30 is what I paid for them in 08 through USStandardIssue. I have the bronze lenses in them now and want the Iridium version. I also need to get some new Black Iridium half jacket XLJ lenses when I get around to it. Love Oakley shades but I'm not a fanatic. LOL.
Old 3/2/13, 12:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Thanks for the info although I'm almost positive that there isn't one near me. I'm in Germany at the moment. I have a set of tan Gascan's with the OD green flag O on the side. $30 is what I paid for them in 08 through USStandardIssue. I have the bronze lenses in them now and want the Iridium version. I also need to get some new Black Iridium half jacket XLJ lenses when I get around to it. Love Oakley shades but I'm not a fanatic. LOL.
The hot ticket is making friends with someone that works at Oakley. One of my friend's ex girlfriends worked for them. 70-80 percent off. I didn't like her but her discount was amazing.
Old 3/2/13, 12:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Nice ride there sir. The 13 v6s look so much better than the 12s
I respectively disagree!!!!
Old 3/2/13, 12:43 PM
Cobra Member

There should be limits to what a guy has to do to get a discount.

Quick Reply: Renting a 2013 V6 Vert!!!