Sponsored By:

Removed Both Mufflers On 2012 V6

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/11, 05:45 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed Both Mufflers On 2012 V6

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if you could give me some thoughts and opinions. I know there are probably tons of threads on this topic but I am fairly new here.

Anyways, as most of you 2012 owners know... the stock exhaust system sounds fairly quiet for a muscle car..... so i took my car to a performance muffler shop yesterday and they said to keep my warranty in place with the dealership i should just change the mufflers from the axleback.

They convinced me to remove the mufflers and run a straight pipe set up.... I decided to do it and I must say it does sound a lot better and deeper...however, there is TONS of popping/cracking when i let off the gas in first/second and sometimes 3rd gear.... i dont really hear it in the 4,5,6 gears.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can maybe prevent the popping/cracking or at least reduce it.... i love everything about the sound EXCEPT that.....

Also,i have heard mixed opinions on running a straight pipe set up and losing torque/hp.... can anyone confirm this please.

Thanks guys
Old 7/29/11, 08:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any high flow exhaust you put on the car will have an increased amount of snap, crackle and pop on deceleration, it's the nature of the beast.

Personally, I think that is one of the best things about it.

Even the stock exhaust does it some, you just can't hear it as much.

The only way to reduce it greatly is to put some quiet mufflers on it, like the stock mufflers.
Old 7/29/11, 08:41 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the tips.... have you heard of anything about losing horsepower or torque.... i was looking for a deep sound and a mean sound to the car... that was the reason why i decided to remove the mufflers... i guess i'll just have to live with it or get used to the snap crackle pop
Old 7/29/11, 10:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flip
Thanks for the tips.... have you heard of anything about losing horsepower or torque.... i was looking for a deep sound and a mean sound to the car... that was the reason why i decided to remove the mufflers... i guess i'll just have to live with it or get used to the snap crackle pop
I have this done to my car except I never got it straight piped. I think there might be slight hp/tq lost but do you have a standard or auto?
Old 7/29/11, 10:31 AM
GTR Member

It may feel like a little less torque. It basically moves the power up in the RPM range a bit.

Get a tune for it and get the power up and driveability way up.
Old 7/29/11, 11:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheNewPony
I have this done to my car except I never got it straight piped. I think there might be slight hp/tq lost but do you have a standard or auto?

Its a standard.... sorry i should have clarified... i kept everything stock including the midpipes.... i only changed the muffler.... from the axle back
Old 7/29/11, 11:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
It may feel like a little less torque. It basically moves the power up in the RPM range a bit.

Get a tune for it and get the power up and driveability way up.

It actually sounds more like a backfiring.... but im not sure if thats what it actually is or not.... its so loud that it hurts your ears when standing close to the car from the outside.... i love the deep sound.. but once it starts to decelerate... it sounds a horrible
Old 7/29/11, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

I would put some mufflers on it. Go watch some YouTube videos and see what you like.
Old 7/29/11, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

ROUSH!!!
Old 7/29/11, 09:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cracking and popping is common when a car is running rich, you are still in higher than idle RPMs so the computer is putting fuel in but the throttle body is closed so not much air is getting in. Very common without a tune. That is what gives an SRT-4 the unique sound that people associate with that car.
Old 7/29/11, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx
ROUSH!!!
This!!!!
Old 7/29/11, 10:15 PM
GT Member

Its a standard.... sorry i should have clarified... i kept everything stock including the midpipes.... i only changed the muffler.... from the axle back
Yes mine is just like this and it is a back fire but the way to eliminate it is just keep it in gear as you decelerate don't throw it in neutral.
Old 7/29/11, 11:13 PM
GTR Member

Yes mine is just like this and it is a back fire but the way to eliminate it is just keep it in gear as you decelerate don't throw it in neutral.
It's not a backfire and leaving it in gear won't keep it from popping when you slow down.

Actually, putting the transmission in neutral and letting off would keep it from popping but that is not the safe way to slow down.
Old 7/30/11, 09:16 AM
GT Member

It's not a backfire and leaving it in gear won't keep it from popping when you slow down.

Actually, putting the transmission in neutral and letting off would keep it from popping but that is not the safe way to slow down.
If the rpm's are high and you put it in neutral that's when it does it the worst. If you just down shift like your suppose to it won't pop I have my car just like this.
Old 7/30/11, 10:40 AM
GTR Member

If you put it in neutral and let off the throttle then the engine would be idling, how does it pop if it is idling?
Old 7/30/11, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

If you put it in neutral and let off the throttle then the engine would be idling, how does it pop if it is idling?
I was going to ask the same thing
Old 7/30/11, 11:40 AM
GT Member

The rpm's have to go down for the car to be idling.. This guys talking more on the lines of when he gives it gas not Babying it. This car doesn't pop if you baby it.
Old 8/1/11, 07:21 AM
V6 Member

The rpm's have to go down for the car to be idling.. This guys talking more on the lines of when he gives it gas not Babying it. This car doesn't pop if you baby it.

Yes, I was taking more along the lines of when I am accelerating.... like when im at a red light, i put it in first and as soon as i get to about 3rpm or higher in first gear... and then switch to 2nd gear... i hear the loud popping in .... if i switch from first to 2nd gear at 2.5rpm or lower... i wont hear any popping at all...just the loud exhaust sound....

the guys at the muffler shop told me if i want loud... the best thing to do is remove the mufflers.... but they never told me about the popping....

does anyone know if i put on performance mufflers such as borla or ROush.... will it not be as loud as not having mufflers? or would it be just as loud?

my assumption is that it wont be as loud... but it will give it a nice deep sound without the popping...

can anyone confirm?
Old 8/1/11, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, I was taking more along the lines of when I am accelerating.... like when im at a red light, i put it in first and as soon as i get to about 3rpm or higher in first gear... and then switch to 2nd gear... i hear the loud popping in .... if i switch from first to 2nd gear at 2.5rpm or lower... i wont hear any popping at all...just the loud exhaust sound....

the guys at the muffler shop told me if i want loud... the best thing to do is remove the mufflers.... but they never told me about the popping....

does anyone know if i put on performance mufflers such as borla or ROush.... will it not be as loud as not having mufflers? or would it be just as loud?

my assumption is that it wont be as loud... but it will give it a nice deep sound without the popping...

can anyone confirm?
Still has popping. On both roush and borlas, IIRC
Old 8/1/11, 08:44 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
Still has popping. On both roush and borlas, IIRC

Oh wow really????

so what are the advantages of having the muffler (borla or roush) then? when looking for a loud deep exhaust sound?

Quick Reply: Removed Both Mufflers On 2012 V6