2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Rear wheels uneven at fenders

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/12 | 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tetstang
Still... can't figure out why, with solid axle rear, that the rear wheels should be anything but parallel. I'll keep checking it out, and maybe get it up on a rack to see how the wheels hang.

Thanks for the replies. Did anyone really take a look at their 2010+ car to see what their rear wheels sat like?
My left rear wheel is pushed out further then my right rear by about 1/4"-3/8". I don't know if it shifts as the suspension compresses or not?
Old 5/22/12 | 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by going for broke
My left rear wheel is pushed out further then my right rear by about 1/4"-3/8". I don't know if it shifts as the suspension compresses or not?
The more the rear suspension is compressed the more the axle will pushed towards the driver's side, which is the same thing that happens if you were to install lowering springs.
Old 5/22/12 | 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mines even but my dads was off both 2012 5.0s stock from the factory. I've got brembo package Dad didn't. Took it to ford they said it was in range and there are no adjustments on the stock panhard bar so they didn't/couldn't do anything. Aftermarket bar fixes this for about $100 but you "need" anyway if you lower your car so not really a big deal ...
Old 5/24/12 | 08:57 AM
GT Member

I feel like I understand the issue now. Uneven-ness at the fenders (or, pushed to the driver's side) is normal, due to the path of the movement of the axle and the panhard bar.

As for the camber of my p/s rear wheel, I checked it a bunch of times parked on different "flat" spots around town. I measured the out-of-plumb of each rear wheel at the rim, not the tire sidewalls. It varied, but each time, the rims were pretty much parallel. That is to say, if the p/s leaned in 3/8" at the top, the d/s leaned in 3/8" at the bottom. Pretty much... there was some variance, and the wheels still sit non-parallel in my garage. I'll assume it's flex in the axles/housing and call it normal.

So, back to my first post --- since my d/s wheel is closer to the fender than my p/s (when the car is "at rest"), there is only about 3/4"-7/8" to work with on fitting a wider wheel/tire in there without it protruding past the edge of the fender. That's on the d/s.

It may always bug me that it's uneven, particularly when I get a wider setup, but at least I know why it's that way.

Thanks to all for their input.
Old 5/24/12 | 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss

The more the rear suspension is compressed the more the axle will pushed towards the driver's side, which is the same thing that happens if you were to install lowering springs.
Wouldn't it make more sense to push to the pass. Side since its already pushed more to drivers side while static? I'll have to look under my car to see how the panhard is set up.
Old 5/25/12 | 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok I got under my car last night and at static ride height (preloaded) the panhard bar is level with the ground. Any more or less compression or extension on the suspension would result in the axle shifting to the pass. Side. An adjustable panhard wouldn't solve this as it would still pull towards pass side even though it would be centered properly under preload. I can see now how a watts link would be so desirable.
Old 10/18/16 | 07:53 AM

This is an old thread but still a viable subject.

I don't think there is a body part such as a rear quarter or fender well that is factory consistent to visually use for a reference point. Having said that, I'm convenience that the rear-end in my 2012 Shelby GT500 is not aligned correctly because the right rear tire and wheels is flush with the fender well while the left rear sticks out past the fender well by about .5 to .65" which is very noticeably. I wonder what the factory tolerance is for the drivetrain alignment. Anyone know where we might find those specifications. The car is factory stock other than a set of 50th Anniversary Alcoa wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Rear wheels uneven at fenders-dscn0118-675x900-.jpg   Rear wheels uneven at fenders-dscn0119-675x900-.jpg  

Last edited by silvercreek; 10/18/16 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10/18/16 | 08:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Go grab an adjustable panhard bar and center the axle that way. The Alcoas should sit right at the fender from what I can recall seeing.
Old 10/18/16 | 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ford20
Go grab an adjustable panhard bar and center the axle that way. The Alcoas should sit right at the fender from what I can recall seeing.

I am mainly asking this question because my car is still covered by a 100k mile warranty. If there is a fix for it I would rather take that route first. If there is no warranty correction to be made then I will consider other alternatives. Thanks for your input.
Old 10/18/16 | 08:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tetstang
As I have been contemplating new wider wheels and tires, I noticed that the rear wheels/tires sit differently with realtion to the fender directly above. Putting a straight edge vertically across the faces of the tire sidewall (upper and lower), and butting that staight edge to the underside of the fender, this is what I get:

Driver side: inset from fender 7/8", and straight edge is nearly plumb

Pass Side: inset from fender 1 5/16" and straight edge is in-board (toward center of car) at the top of the tire about 1/2".

Knowing this, and standing about 30 ft behind the car, I can see the lean on the pass side (barely), and the difference at the fenders kinda bugs me. I've looked at this at different times, parked in various lots, but it always seems the same. Drove 50 miles today, reparked it in the very same spot in the garage and checked it. Identical measurements.

What's up ?? Is this normal?

I'm looking at wheels/tires that would move the tire sidewall out, and the closer they get to the fender, the more obvious this will be.

It's not IRS, how can the wheels be at different angles when parked on the same flat surface??

Take a look at your 2010 + . How does it sit.
Normal, all mustang has a offset in the rear wheel when measuring against the fenders. My 13' Gt was like that too, when i measured it it had about 3/4 of an inch difference. Its not your eyes playing tricks, one wheel is really sitting further in the well than other. I bought a adjust panhard bar and fixed this issue, it also corrected my thrust angle(even tho it was still within alignment spec with rear being shifted to one side almost a inch).
Old 10/18/16 | 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Every solid axle Mustangs SHOULD come stock with an adjustable panhard bar.
Old 10/18/16 | 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kotenukimen
Every solid axle Mustangs SHOULD come stock with an adjustable panhard bar.

I agree! Especially because this condition is so common.
Old 10/18/16 | 05:54 PM
Post *****

I wonder if it's crooked when the car is empty so that it's even when there is a driver and maybe a passenger in the car.

You know because it shifts to one side when weight is added.
Old 10/18/16 | 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by silvercreek
I am mainly asking this question because my car is still covered by a 100k mile warranty. If there is a fix for it I would rather take that route first. If there is no warranty correction to be made then I will consider other alternatives. Thanks for your input.
It will be less hassle to fix it yourself.
Old 10/18/16 | 06:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Is the car on a level surface? Agree that it's easier to fix this personally than take it to a dealership to do it.
Old 10/24/16 | 08:08 PM
GT Member

The offset is normal for stock mustangs. You can set it perfect with an adjustable panhard bar. It will look perfect while the car is at rest in your garage anyway.....