Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear end (possibly rear sway bar?) squeak?

Old 4/10/14, 07:30 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Rear end (possibly rear sway bar?) squeak?

Yep, I think I have the dreaded squeak. What's annoying is that it started right after I installed the rear Koni shocks. What I did was remove the rear sway bar end link bolts connecting the chassis, then swung the bar down. I also loosened the passenger axle clamps to the sway bar, realizing I didn't have to.

But anyways, after I put it all back together, that's when I heard the squeak. I tried loosening it all back, then loosely put the bolts back on, let the car rest on boards so I can crawl under there, then tightened it all back to spec, even to 100ftlb. Still have the squeak...it came back. I even used brake caliper grease between the rubber bushing ends...

I was able to capture the squeak somewhat by pushing down on the trunk, then recording on iPhone.

Any thoughts on where it's coming from? Should I remove the sway bar, completely, the end links and the actual bar?

Turn up your speakers and you can hear the squeak three times in the vid, faint but there.

Thanks guys

Old 4/10/14, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have exactly the same, after my suspension upgrade last week. I also am pretty sure, it comes from the sway bar. Loosened it, re-torqued everything, but it still squeaks.
Old 4/10/14, 08:11 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Plim
I have exactly the same, after my suspension upgrade last week. I also am pretty sure, it comes from the sway bar. Loosened it, re-torqued everything, but it still squeaks.
Annoying for sure. I'm underneath the car now and loosened everything. Car is under load now, I'll try to retighten again with some grease on bushings again...

Any other thoughts?
Old 4/10/14, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I have the Energy Suspension rear sway bar bushing kit for our cars, new in the box, if you're interested. Decided it wasn't worth the effort for me but nothing wrong with the kit. Let me know if you want.
Old 4/10/14, 08:31 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I have the Energy Suspension rear sway bar bushing kit for our cars, new in the box, if you're interested. Decided it wasn't worth the effort for me but nothing wrong with the kit. Let me know if you want.
So what do you have on your car now Kyle?
Old 4/10/14, 08:32 PM
I Have No Life

Ok, finished loosening and tightening again. Torqued to 100ft lbs even tho spec says 86 or so. Going for test drive
Old 4/10/14, 09:41 PM
I Have No Life

Perfect. No more squeaks. Not sure what I did before then... I must not have let the load settle before tightening the bolts on the sway. This time, I unbolted it with the car resting on its own weight, then positioned it back on again, shimmied and moved the sway bar a few times, then let it rest as is. Proceeded to hand tighten one side, then the other, then more tight on one side, then the other, repeat until finished. Torque wrench at 100ft lbs, voila.

Drove it over the roads I heard the squeak on all week... And all is quiet.

Knock on wood, it doesn't come back.
Old 4/11/14, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
So what do you have on your car now Kyle?
The bone stock ones - I bought the Energy ones thinking they may help get rid of the bounce/rattle noise I have in the rear of the car but as I read more about those type of bushings, they apparently need to be re-greased and don't sound like a cure-all, so not sure I'm going to mess with it.
Old 4/11/14, 03:45 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
The bone stock ones - I bought the Energy ones thinking they may help get rid of the bounce/rattle noise I have in the rear of the car but as I read more about those type of bushings, they apparently need to be re-greased and don't sound like a cure-all, so not sure I'm going to mess with it.
Yeah I still have the stock end links and sway bars. I reinstalled it and it seems to have quieted down and went away, but I'm all phobic now and thought I may have heard it again. Luckily my exhaust is loud enough to drown everything
Old 4/11/14, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Your sway bar squeaks ?
Old 4/11/14, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Perfect. No more squeaks. Not sure what I did before then... I must not have let the load settle before tightening the bolts on the sway. This time, I unbolted it with the car resting on its own weight, then positioned it back on again, shimmied and moved the sway bar a few times, then let it rest as is. Proceeded to hand tighten one side, then the other, then more tight on one side, then the other, repeat until finished. Torque wrench at 100ft lbs, voila. Drove it over the roads I heard the squeak on all week... And all is quiet. Knock on wood, it doesn't come back.
So what was it you loosened ? Also the end links? I'm not able to pinpoint which bushing is exactly causing the squeak.
Old 4/12/14, 06:54 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Your sway bar squeaks ?
Funny huh? Enjoy your squeak free ride, for the moment lol

So what was it you loosened ? Also the end links? I'm not able to pinpoint which bushing is exactly causing the squeak.
Yes, sway bar end links, then retighten.
Old 4/16/14, 05:57 AM
I Have No Life

Got up early to remove and reinstall the oem swaybar, since the stupid squeak returned. I used a synthetic silicone based grease this time and again tightened to 100ftlbs...we will see if it goes away.
Attached Thumbnails Rear end (possibly rear sway bar?) squeak?-image-2926145079.jpg  
Old 4/16/14, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

make sure you also lube, the BMR phb, and don't over tighten it. Especially on the passenger side.
Old 4/16/14, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I was just re-reading your thread from the beginning, and I noticed you torque everything down to 100ftlb. I checked in a service manual and I noticed that there is a difference. The second number behind the description is in lb-ft (don't know how to create a table in this forum):

Description Nm lb-ft
Brake caliper anchor plate bolts 103 76
Brake hose bracket bolt 20 —
Fuel tank strap bolt 52 38
Lateral stiffener bar nut 115 85
Lateral stiffener bar-to-body bolts 62 46
Lower arm bolts 175 129
Panhard rod bolts 175 129
Parking brake cable bracket bolt 27 20
Shock absorber lower bolt 115 85
Shock absorber upper nut 40 30
Stabilizer bar bracket nuts 70 52
Stabilizer bar link bolts 115 85
Upper arm bracket forward bolt 475 350
Upper arm bracket rearward bolts 115 85
Upper arm-to-upper arm bushing nut 175 129

Old 4/16/14, 10:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Well, mine started this crap today. So I need to check the sway bar end links, correct?
Old 4/16/14, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same thing. Though in my case im not sure if its the rear sway bar or the stock LCA's. or even the UCA. I do think its the rear sway bar though, because I did some testing. In my case I had wrong sized bushings.. was then sent the correct ones and it still made some noise. then I put a whooooooole looooot of grease on the bushings, then torqued it down. noise went away.

But it seems to come back primarily during cold times. once things warm up it goes away. I'm starting to think this may just be a part of having messed around with our suspensions. I hope not though, hopefully you guys find a solution.

PS. mine isn't stock, replaced the sway bars with eibach parts. Also the noise is probably a combination of the end link bushings(to frame and bar) and the bushings next to the wheels(axle)

Last edited by roadrunner; 4/16/14 at 11:26 AM.
Old 4/16/14, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner
I have the same thing. Though in my case im not sure if its the rear sway bar or the stock LCA's. or even the UCA. I do think its the rear sway bar though, because I did some testing. In my case I had wrong sized bushings.. was then sent the correct ones and it still made some noise. then I put a whooooooole looooot of grease on the bushings, then torqued it down. noise went away.

But it seems to come back primarily during cold times. once things warm up it goes away. I'm starting to think this may just be a part of having messed around with our suspensions. I hope not though, hopefully you guys find a solution.

PS. mine isn't stock, replaced the sway bars with eibach parts. Also the noise is probably a combination of the end link bushings(to frame and bar) and the bushings next to the wheels(axle)
Like you say J it may be the cold weather. Mine is stock. We had a cold snap last night, and mine started squeaking today. I think I'll wait until the next oil change, and have them checked just for general principle.
Old 4/16/14, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

according to the service manual:
Condition:
• Squeak or grunt — noise from the front or rear suspension, occurs more in cold ambient temperatures. More noticeable over rough roads or when turning

Possible sources:
• Front stabilizer bar insulators
• Rear stabilizer bar insulators

Action:
• Under these conditions, the noise is acceptable.

And when the temperature is taken out of the equation, the manual says:
Condition:
Squeak, creak or rattle noise. Occurs mostly over bumps or rough roads

Possible sources:
• Front or rear suspension components
• Loose or damaged front struts, shock
absorber(s) or shock absorber bushing(s)
• Damaged spring or spring mount(s)
• Damaged or worn control/radius arm
bushing(s)
• Worn or damaged stabilizer bar bushings or
link(s)

Action:
• INSPECT the front and rear suspension. INSTALL new components as necessary.

I have never ever had a car that made suspension noises when the temperatures were low or high. And unfortunately it seems its part of the Mustang design...
So I would say: start with lubricating the bushings... and don't over-torque the fasteners, and when you torque down the components, make sure the suspension is under normal load (car on a ramp, or axle supported by axle stands)
Old 4/16/14, 12:26 PM
I Have No Life

make sure you also lube, the BMR phb, and don't over tighten it. Especially on the passenger side.
I was just re-reading your thread from the beginning, and I noticed you torque everything down to 100ftlb. I checked in a service manual and I noticed that there is a difference. The second number behind the description is in lb-ft (don't know how to create a table in this forum): Description Nm lb-ft Brake caliper anchor plate bolts 103 76 Brake hose bracket bolt 20 — Fuel tank strap bolt 52 38 Lateral stiffener bar nut 115 85 Lateral stiffener bar-to-body bolts 62 46 Lower arm bolts 175 129 Panhard rod bolts 175 129 Parking brake cable bracket bolt 27 20 Shock absorber lower bolt 115 85 Shock absorber upper nut 40 30 Stabilizer bar bracket nuts 70 52 Stabilizer bar link bolts 115 85 Upper arm bracket forward bolt 475 350 Upper arm bracket rearward bolts 115 85 Upper arm-to-upper arm bushing nut 175 129
according to the service manual: Condition: • Squeak or grunt — noise from the front or rear suspension, occurs more in cold ambient temperatures. More noticeable over rough roads or when turning Possible sources: • Front stabilizer bar insulators • Rear stabilizer bar insulators Action: • Under these conditions, the noise is acceptable. And when the temperature is taken out of the equation, the manual says: Condition: Squeak, creak or rattle noise. Occurs mostly over bumps or rough roads Possible sources: • Front or rear suspension components • Loose or damaged front struts, shock absorber(s) or shock absorber bushing(s) • Damaged spring or spring mount(s) • Damaged or worn control/radius arm bushing(s) • Worn or damaged stabilizer bar bushings or link(s) Action: • INSPECT the front and rear suspension. INSTALL new components as necessary. I have never ever had a car that made suspension noises when the temperatures were low or high. And unfortunately it seems its part of the Mustang design... So I would say: start with lubricating the bushings... and don't over-torque the fasteners, and when you torque down the components, make sure the suspension is under normal load (car on a ramp, or axle supported by axle stands)
Yeah I took her for a drive today, and still having the squeak. In fact, happened a lot quicker this time, despite the use of silicone grease.

The way I see it, there are 2 options for me to try on that sway bar. Let me know if you and others agree:

1) reduce current torque spec on upper end link bushing bolts from 100 to 85 lbft.

I thought MORE torque is good, but I also read that sway bars/bushing are supposed to twist and thus allowed to move some. By over tightening it, I may have actually induced the squeak??? Hmmm.

Am I right in reading 85 lbft for the required torque from your pasted info above? "Stabilizer bar"?

2) apply grease to the end link bushings, but the bushings on the sway bar end, not chassis end.

I was trying to avoid this, and this would mean removing the actual sway bar to allow me to slide that end link off.

Any other thoughts as to the possible cause?????? This squeak is starting to annoy me.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/16/14 at 12:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end (possibly rear sway bar?) squeak?