Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

rear end noise after spring install , boom tube exhaust interior screetch noise!

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/10, 08:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end noise after spring install , boom tube exhaust interior screetch noise!

1) Two of my mods are causing me problems. A while back i added an Eibach sport-line sway-bar and spring kit. since the day i drove it home i noticed rear end noise that sounded like a loose shock clacking. I looked under the car couldn't find anything loose. I decided to deal with it for the time being because the car handled great around corners. After a while i got tired of the harsh ride the sport-lines , so i decided to switch them out for the softer Eibach pro kit, hoping that the noise i was hearing would disappear. I Picked the car up after the install and sure enough the noise was still present... I decided to take a look at the steeda adjustable pan-hard bar thinking it may be loose and i found that my installer never centered the rear end. So i centered it and locked it down and some of the noise was no longer there but a majority of it was still there. I decided to see if i could hear the noise while the car was moving with the door open and i couldn't hear the sound outside the car at all. I decided that the noise was reverberating to the inside of the car cabin. The location sounds like its coming from the top of the spring isolators.. Its mostly present at low speeds over small bumps. Does any one know what this could be? could it be the higher spring rate pressure has destroyed my rubber isolators? should i replace them? I was thinking about getting duplicate isolators made of urethane material... They would have to be fabricated since no one makes them for the 2010 gt.

sounds like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYc9owpBIY

Second issue totally separate from the 1st issue.

2) Now that I've added boom tube axelbacks, (love the sound), but the rear panels seem to be rattling under the deep sound pressure and i have i new screech sound that fades in and out. It only sounds off when the car is warm and moving, usually after 20 minutes of driving.. its not present when the car is cold.

so

So in closing the rear end of my car sounds like a change box, the front end is perfect, i would appreciate any insight on how i can solve this problem...

Last edited by kona stang10; 1/12/10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 1/12/10, 09:39 PM
GT Member

I had a similar issue when I installed my boomtubes and it turned out that the hangers were making contact with the exhaust clamp on the driver side. Just need to tweak the hanger thing that is welded to the exhaust to give it some more clearance (it might appear to have a little clearance when cold, but moved a bit when warm).

Last edited by Novelty goat; 1/12/10 at 09:43 PM.
Old 1/12/10, 09:55 PM
GT Member

Update: I decided to look at my Eibach sportline springs which i still have in the box. I noticed the very top of the spring second rung down on the under side of the spring, there is evidence of compression contact with the next rung down... no where else on the spring does it show any evidence of contact with other rungs.. and in that area there was no insolation wrapped around that point of contact. This tells me that upon compression of the spring that rung is making contact with the lower rung thus making noise. At higher speeds when the spring remains leveler and contact is less likely, the sound is non existent. The stock spring rungs are to far apart from each other to ever make contact thus they never make the sound.. If i can find an nice urethane or rubber isolator that wraps around that spring at that contact point i can eliminate that noise....I will call Eibach tomorrow to see if they make such an item...

Last edited by kona stang10; 1/12/10 at 11:41 PM.
Old 1/12/10, 10:11 PM
GT Member

here is what i found:

http://www.phase2motortrend.com/esspnore.html
Old 1/13/10, 09:45 AM
GT Member

Update: I have a set of "QA1" 12 way adjustable shocks on the rear, and they were set on the softest setting, meaning the least amount of dampening. Today i adjusted them to a 4 setting to increase the dampening so it would help the upper spring rung resist hitting the 1 below it and now the noise is down to a minimum. I mean i barely hear it now. I figure when i get those noise dampeners to wrap around the contact points it will be gone...... problem solved....

Novelty Goat you were correct about that hanger, but i was unable to adjust it far enough away so it wouldn't make the noise. I went out and bought some high heat rubber hose and wrapped the hanger were it was hitting the mount. I secured it with a hose clamp and now no more noise from that hanger.. thanks for the tip.
Old 1/13/10, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Nice trouble shooting. Hopefully these fixes stick. I know how great it feels to be able to enjoy those boomtubes now that they only making the right sounds.