Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear end mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/08, 12:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear end mod?

I guess this is pretty obvious but I'll ask anyway...

What with all the bad cess on the "diaper" rear end, what would happen if we just climbed under there with the trusty screw driver and pliers and removed the hokey rear plastic?
Old 12/17/08, 04:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would get a big gap in the rear bumper. The exhaust would look really dumb with nothing covering it.
Old 12/17/08, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

My question is...

Is the black plastic an add on (screwed or clipped on) or is it just an unpainted part of the molded bumper?

Those who have seen it up close...comments?
Old 12/17/08, 09:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I do believe that the black lower section of both the front and rear bumpers are separate pieces since we have seen the GT-500 Style with the Finned Diffuser on the Grabber Blue GT, and that was the only section that was different. After closely examining Hi Rez Pic's there appears to be a separation line between the painted and un-painted sections, and I believe it could be removed.

But, this what you would see, if you removed the black lower section of the rear bumper, Everything the "Diaper" is Full Of....and we all know what Diapers are full of when they're Full. The Entire Mufflers would be exposed including their brackets, as well as the Black Electronics Module (I'm not sure what that really is?) that is bolted to the bottom of the Spare Tire Well, along with the bottom of the Spare Tire Well.

As for the front bumper, the lower lip that is painted is actually part of the bumper, and the "Mutton Chops" are part of the Lower Grill Assembly. So by removing the Lower Grill Assembly you could remove the "Mutton Chops" as well. What it looks like behind there is anyone's guess, at this point though, as the lower lip is a couple of inches lower and further forward than the outside corners of the bumper.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/17/08 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12/17/08, 01:03 PM
V6 Member

Uhm-m, it looks like painting may be the only option...if that plastic is paintable.
Old 12/17/08, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I saw someone attempt to paint the black diffuser on a California special one time. It came out looking abysmal.
Old 12/17/08, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the rear is removable then there is a high probablility that the aftermarket will develop a better version. That will be awesome as the total appearance of the rear bumper could be changed without having to remove it!
Old 12/17/08, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

If the section replacing the cladding was flush or recessed it would look better.
Old 12/17/08, 06:04 PM
Closet American

Best advice: leave it alone and learn to live with it.
Old 12/17/08, 06:12 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Best advice: leave it alone and learn to live with it.
I agree

Seriously, you don't even notice it when you see the car in real life or you see it moving. It's only when you look at stills under a magnifying glass that you see it.
Old 12/17/08, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think people are making way too big of a deal about the unpainted part of the rear. I think it looks fine. It adds contrast and visually shrinks the mass of the bumper. The blacked out grill pillars also look great.

It seems to me that a blacked out hood is fine, a blacked out spoiler is fine, a blacked out rear panel between the tail lights is fine, even a blacked out hood scoop is fine, but as soon as Ford puts some black somewhere where it has never been before people start losing their minds. I don't get it!

If you want a car that never deviates from what has traditionally been done, just buy a vintage Mustang and stop whining.
Old 12/17/08, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

With comments like those I am surprised that the mustang is still one of the most modded vehicles. Imagine if shelby or roush followed your advice. My take is that the color is fine, but the design is horrible. As far as noticing it, one of the things I love to do is look at my stangs, wash and clean them, and admire MY car. So, I would see it every time I look at MY car, so it would be very noticable. But then again I ha e never been an accept what they give you, just drink the koolaid and don't ask any questions kind of a guy. I get something, especially when that something is 30 grand, the way I want it.
Old 12/17/08, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jarradasay
With comments like those I am surprised that the mustang is still one of the most modded vehicles. Imagine if shelby or roush followed your advice. My take is that the color is fine, but the design is horrible. As far as noticing it, one of the things I love to do is look at my stangs, wash and clean them, and admire MY car. So, I would see it every time I look at MY car, so it would be very noticable. But then again I ha e never been an accept what they give you, just drink the koolaid and don't ask any questions kind of a guy. I get something, especially when that something is 30 grand, the way I want it.
Well put. I am sure the aftermarket will soon have many offerings to bolt on and replace the stock diaper. Ford will most likely tweak the design in a couple of years to keep it fresh and in response to all the complaints.
Old 12/17/08, 11:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

If that black piece were gone would the remaining part of the bumper look worse than the 05-09 V-6 rear bumper? Those don't look all that bad, especially with dual exhausts.
Old 12/18/08, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AGBULLIT
If the section replacing the cladding was flush or recessed it would look better.
...just look a NEICO's drawings here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...=474823&page=7

Exactly! Here are my thoughts:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jager; 12/18/08 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12/18/08, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Jager well documented. I don't think the problem is the black. the problem is the bulkiness of the black. If it were flush it would look much better/cleaner. The reason I think it sticks out so bad is the fact that it literally sticks out from the bumper. that chop is awesome.

Last edited by jarradasay; 12/18/08 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 12/18/08, 03:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jager
...just look a NEICO's drawings here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...=474823&page=7

Exactly! Here are my thoughts:

Another thing that bothers me is the dropped angle of the bottom of the taillamp. More than anything it give the illusion that the taillamp juts rearward to a point or peak when in fact the inner vertical taillamp segment is in an even plane with the center of the decklid.

Attached Images  
Old 12/18/08, 03:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Jager well documented. I don't think the problem is the black. the problem is the bulkiness of the black. If it were flush it would look much better/cleaner. The reason I think it sticks out so bad is the fact that it literally sticks out from the bumper. that chop is awesome.

That is pretty close to perfect. Smoked red lenses and backup lamps do wonders for unifying the recessed decklid shape with the outline shape of the taillamps. Smoked backup-lamps keep from drawing attention to itself and help them seem more integrated. Getting rid of the model car kit look taillamps will do wonders.

Fixing that awkward angle in the bottom of the taillamp does wonders...

Attached Thumbnails Rear end mod?-rightbutt.jpg  

Last edited by watchdevil; 12/18/08 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12/18/08, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

OMG if that was it, I would be in love and wouldn't even think to complain about the mutton chops!

FORD.... HIRE THESE PEOPLE!

Old 12/18/08, 04:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by steve-o

OMG if that was it, I would be in love and wouldn't even think to complain about the mutton chops!

FORD.... HIRE THESE PEOPLE!
Fix the butt that good and I could forgive the mutton chops too... It's amazing how the most minute overdone details can ruin a good design.

Quick Reply: Rear end mod?