2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Really loosing faith now :fuss:

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/12, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really loosing faith now :fuss:

I am not too happy with my car right now. Going in for the 5th time for same problem - fuel guage goes to zero and warnings of no fuel when tank gets around 1/2 - 1/4.

So far 1 new cluster, and numerous new level sensors, fuel pump, rebuild of fuel assembly. The dealer has been great about it (very sympathetic and helpful), but this is only about 100 miles since last attempt of repair. It's no fun when you can only drive about 150 miles before having to stop for gas as told although I know there is fuel not to chance it as may not get fuel from the tank!!

Anyone else had or having this problem??
Old 2/17/12, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
are they giving you a free loaner car every time you drop your car off for service? What is the lemon law like in Canada?
Old 2/17/12, 03:52 PM

Omg, I had to sign up for an account just to say Thank God someone is having this problem too. I had it with my '06 GT for about 3 years. Was in the shop for most of that time too...The dealership claimed they could never duplicate it. I had to get Ford involved. Our Dealership is horrid. They finally did a replacement of the fuel pumps, tank, and gauges before it was mostly fixed. It does it about once a year now... if I park it on a hill and turn right leaving out of the driveway... go fig...

I'd ask them to check the pumps on the fuel tank. I don't know if they changed the design since '06, but every time I cut a turn apparently the fuel pump couldn't handle the gas sloshing around.... I've had new gauges, two new tanks, two new pumps, a gas cap... new computer... I could list it all... It ended up getting shipped out of town for like 3 months...

Last edited by SolRyan; 2/17/12 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2/17/12, 03:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just curious, but what does the digital read out, in the cluster tell you for "miles to empty". Is it in sync with the fuel gauge and telling you to refuel?
Old 2/18/12, 02:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Just curious, but what does the digital read out, in the cluster tell you for "miles to empty". Is it in sync with the fuel gauge and telling you to refuel?
Oh it all matches, the guage goes to under empty and the read out says anywhere from 0 to 5 KMS to empty, the warning chime goes and the yellow gas guage on the center lights up.

I am not sure what there is left to replace.
Old 2/18/12, 02:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
are they giving you a free loaner car every time you drop your car off for service? What is the lemon law like in Canada?
Yes I get a loaner car when it goes in. I have mentioned to the dealer I am not impressed and said "why don't you buy it back and I'll get a 2013!!" their reply, "If that's what it comes too we'll see". I have a great relationship with them, bought many cars and trucks from them and all get serviced there.
Old 2/18/12, 04:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot

Yes I get a loaner car when it goes in. I have mentioned to the dealer I am not impressed and said "why don't you buy it back and I'll get a 2013!!" their reply, "If that's what it comes too we'll see". I have a great relationship with them, bought many cars and trucks from them and all get serviced there.
How many kms? Just get a newer model which dealership in ON? I have a friend there with a 06 black gt maybe he can give his opinion and suggest a shop to fix it
Old 2/18/12, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It would be kind of a drag to dump that car on someone else with the problems your having. If you can get it lemoned out I would say do that.
Old 2/18/12, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd tell the dealer they need to get the regional service rep involved. I would also call ford Canada customer service and bark at them as well. In the states you would already be qualified for a repurchase. I can speak from experience that ford will go above and beyond to please their customers (I'm involved in a repurchase as I speak) but you need to ask for help above what the dealer is able to offer. Good luck
Old 2/18/12, 08:22 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds liek the old fuel sending unit problem.
Old 2/18/12, 11:35 AM

If you drive for another 10 or so miles does the gas gauge start to go back up? Also, this is one I discovered.. If you have the headlights on does the fuel one turn red? (on mine, it was the way to tell if you were actually out of gas, you'd flip the headlights on and if the gauge wasn't red, you were safe to keep going, I know it sounds weird, something about it was a momentary error)... I'd hoped they fixed this... I want a 2013 and now I'm scared....

Last edited by SolRyan; 2/18/12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 2/18/12, 12:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
It's no fun when you can only drive about 150 miles before having to stop for gas as told although I know there is fuel not to chance it as may not get fuel from the tank!!
I know I get over 300 miles per full tank with my normal driving. If it were me, I'd note the odometer and drive about 275 regardless of what the gauge & warning says. Then, if it does die at 150 or so, use your roadside assistance and have it towed to the Dealer.
I know that would be a pain but if in fact the fuel system stops at 150 it might help the Dealer figure it out. Maybe it would throw a code.

Although I would bet you'll get the 300 miles since it sure seems sensor or computer related.
Just a thought.
Old 2/18/12, 03:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SolRyan
If you drive for another 10 or so miles does the gas gauge start to go back up? Also, this is one I discovered.. If you have the headlights on does the fuel one turn red? (on mine, it was the way to tell if you were actually out of gas, you'd flip the headlights on and if the gauge wasn't red, you were safe to keep going, I know it sounds weird, something about it was a momentary error)... I'd hoped they fixed this... I want a 2013 and now I'm scared....
Then you should be afraid to buy any car. There is no model in the world that has never had an occasional car that had a problem. Thanks to the Internet, two people report the same problem and people want to assume it's pandemic.
Old 2/18/12, 03:58 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by RandyW
Thanks to the Internet, two people report the same problem and people want to assume it's pandemic.
Exactly. I spend way too much time on forums and these are the only two I've ever read about with this issue.
Old 2/18/12, 05:57 PM

I don't assume its a pandemic... I dont want to hijack the OPs thread, I'm just worried of going through another two and a half years of driving a '05 Ford Taurus off and on while paying the insurance and car payment on a GT Mustang while mine is sitting in the shop, and before you call BS, I bought it used, the Lemon Law doesn't apply... Now that it's fixed, I just want a fresh start... OP I hope they get it straightened out and you don't have the problems I did...

Last edited by SolRyan; 2/18/12 at 06:04 PM.
Old 2/18/12, 08:26 PM

my 06 does this. but it's only when i first start the car and i take a very quick turn. I don't think you should lemon the car out. Just a pay attention to your gas gauge. This is a problem in my dad's expedition, and my grandpas taurus. The gauge ends up slowly moving back up to where it's supposed to be. Really, I understand you bought a new car and want everything perfect, but just accept it as a flaw. It's really not that big of a deal. if you get another one, it might have the same problem too. but hey if you can get the 2013 go for it. but i don't think it's the gauge. I think it's how the sensor in the tank reads the level of gas.
Old 2/19/12, 04:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyW
Then you should be afraid to buy any car. There is no model in the world that has never had an occasional car that had a problem. Thanks to the Internet, two people report the same problem and people want to assume it's pandemic.
The problem is the smaller issue. The big deal is that Ford can't seem to FIX it. I've been through this with my Taurus (many known issues with the '10 models), and it bothers me enough that this long-time Ford guy may change teams next time around.
Old 2/19/12, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Aamador521
my 06 does this. but it's only when i first start the car and i take a very quick turn. I don't think you should lemon the car out. Just a pay attention to your gas gauge. This is a problem in my dad's expedition, and my grandpas taurus. The gauge ends up slowly moving back up to where it's supposed to be. Really, I understand you bought a new car and want everything perfect, but just accept it as a flaw. It's really not that big of a deal. if you get another one, it might have the same problem too. but hey if you can get the 2013 go for it. but i don't think it's the gauge. I think it's how the sensor in the tank reads the level of gas.
UNLIKE!! deal with something that clearly is not right? NO WAY! Would you keep a gutar that the strings kept falling off? NO WAY! The next time I buy a new car yep for sure I will want everything to operate correctly. Your post =
Old 2/19/12, 09:58 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the mobil 1 fuel system cleaner helps with this problem.
Old 2/19/12, 11:07 AM
Post *****

Is there a venting issue with the saddle tanks? Fuel not flowing freely from left to right?

Quick Reply: Really loosing faith now :fuss: