Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

[Question]Warranty on Engine Replaced Under Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/17, 07:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Question]Warranty on Engine Replaced Under Warranty

Looking to buy a used 2013 GT. The vehicle was purchased a Certified Pre-owned and has ESP (valid till September 2018).

2 months back at around 63,xxx miles the engine was replaced under warranty, for a blown head gasket. Ford's explanation is water got into the Engine from the cold air intake (a Ford installed K&N air intake).

Question

What is the warranty on the new Engine? Does it have a 3year unlimited miles warranty or not? I ask because I was told that the 3 year unlimited miles warranty is only valid for a customer paid engine replacement, in this case it was done under warranty hence the Engine will not get that warranty.
Old 9/6/17, 11:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
That's a good question munchy, but I have no idea. I suggest you talk with the GM at the selling dealer to get the correct answer.

I know that Ford dealers warranty their mechanical work. But, I couldn't say if a complete engine is part of that. It should be, but.......
Old 9/12/17, 04:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What I have seen historically, is if the consumer buys the product, they get the full warranty offered. If it's a warranty replacement, you get the remainder of the existing warranty.

Where I have seen this is in batteries. If you buy a 3 year battery, you get the full 3 year warranty. If the dealer replaced the factory 3 year battery at 2.5 years, you'll only get the remaining .5 year on the replacement.
Old 9/12/17, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by munchy_cool
Looking to buy a used 2013 GT. The vehicle was purchased a Certified Pre-owned and has ESP (valid till September 2018).

2 months back at around 63,xxx miles the engine was replaced under warranty, for a blown head gasket. Ford's explanation is water got into the Engine from the cold air intake (a Ford installed K&N air intake).

Question

What is the warranty on the new Engine? Does it have a 3year unlimited miles warranty or not? I ask because I was told that the 3 year unlimited miles warranty is only valid for a customer paid engine replacement, in this case it was done under warranty hence the Engine will not get that warranty.
A Ford dealer doesn't usually install a K&N intake, since that would be an aftermarket part and that would be modifying the vehicle.
That modified vehicle would then no longer have warranty coverage on certain components, one of which would be the aftermarket-intake-equipped engine.

Additionally, if the engine took on water through that aftermarket intake, that's not a warranty claim anyway, that would be an insurance claim.

Also, the powertrain warranty on a '13 Mustang would've been 5 years or 60k miles, whichever comes first.

So at 63k miles, with an aftermarket intake on it, and after having ingested water, that's 3 reasons to believe that that engine replacement wasn't warranty.

And if it was an insurance job, there's always the chance that the car got a used engine installed, since insurance companies like to save money like that, and it's not their car that's getting fixed, so they don't care.

It sounds to me (a former Ford Service Advisor) that there's a lot of questions about just how that engine replacement went along.

I'd stay away from that car, unless you can get some serious new info that actually proves the car got a new/reman Ford engine, with a warranty.

If the dealer replaced the engine under the Ford ESP warranty, chances are that they didn't tell Ford about the water-ingestion or the K&N intake, since those 2 items would make the repair not covered.
And if it was replaced under that ESP, the engine would be covered until the end of the ESP.
No, it doesn't get the customer-pay 3yr/unlimited-mileage warranty.
Old 9/12/17, 07:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
You didn't receive any paper work when the work was done?