2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PS A/S 3+ vs N555 G2

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/18, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS A/S 3+ vs N555 G2

Hello, my 2014 GT/CS is ready for new tires! It's a convertible used mostly for cruising on a sunny day, never driven in snow and almost never in the rain. I'd like 275s on the rear but on the stock 8.5 inch California Special wheels it's probably a better idea to stick with the stock width: 245/45/19. However, frequently when I make a turn from a stop light it's way to easy to break the stock Pirelli tires loose and slide the rear sideways a bit so I'd like to get more grip from the new tires.

I'm chosing between the Michelin PS A/S 3+ and the Nitto N555 G2. The Michelins cost about $250 more for a set of 4. I love the look of the N555s but the PS's reputation for quality, longevity and smoother ride is leaning me to go Michelin. Any guidance you can give would be much appreciated!
Old 4/3/18, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
There are much stickier choices available. Why got for an A/S tire if you don't drive in snow and hardly ever in rain? Some Max Performance Summer tires offer better warm and wet grip without compromising.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (4/8/18)
Old 4/5/18, 11:17 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tires

I have the Nittos 305 20s. No traction when wet.
Old 4/6/18, 09:19 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I have the Nitto NT555G2, 285 front, 305 rear. For the money, great tire. Excellent traction (dry), relatively quiet ride, and quite comfortable. I previously had MPSS and they rode like rocks compared to these Nittos. It doesn't rain where I am so I can't speak to the wet grip.
Old 4/7/18, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_FlyBy
Hello, my 2014 GT/CS is ready for new tires! It's a convertible used mostly for cruising on a sunny day, never driven in snow and almost never in the rain. I'd like 275s on the rear but on the stock 8.5 inch California Special wheels it's probably a better idea to stick with the stock width: 245/45/19. However, frequently when I make a turn from a stop light it's way to easy to break the stock Pirelli tires loose and slide the rear sideways a bit so I'd like to get more grip from the new tires.

I'm chosing between the Michelin PS A/S 3+ and the Nitto N555 G2. The Michelins cost about $250 more for a set of 4. I love the look of the N555s but the PS's reputation for quality, longevity and smoother ride is leaning me to go Michelin. Any guidance you can give would be much appreciated!
You can also go to a 255/40 19, that is what comes on the Performance Package V6 with the same wheels (Different Color) or do what I did and go up to a 9 inch wheel and 275/40's all around, Although a 9.5 would be better but the Boss 302s wheels came in 9 or 10.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
I have the Nitto NT555G2, 285 front, 305 rear. For the money, great tire. Excellent traction (dry), relatively quiet ride, and quite comfortable. I previously had MPSS and they rode like rocks compared to these Nittos. It doesn't rain where I am so I can't speak to the wet grip.
I have seen rain in Vegas Pete, and it is not a pretty site
Old 4/8/18, 02:29 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
I have Nitto NT-555 G2's in 275/35/20's on 20x9.5 rims w/45mm offset on all 4 corners. I know thru personal experience their absolutely horrible in wet conditions and also have a very harsh ride quality on uneven road surfaces. Needless to say, you most definitely feel every single road imperfection to say the very least
Old 4/11/18, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I can avoid snow but not rain so I think I'm going with Continental ExtremeContact Sports, 255/40 19s. The size is almost a perfect match and I've gotten really good testimonials on them. A bit more expensive but they should last longer. Hopefelly the weather will clear up by next week and I can get the new tires then.

As an aside, dammn I love my GT/CS. It's 4 years old now and, even after sitting for 5 long months in the garage, sometimes at -35C, it started up instantly. I'm not sure if that is unusual (however, I seem to recall guys on the Corvette forum saying they'd go on vacation for two weeks and their cars were dead afterwards) but, to me, it's an amazing thing.

Last edited by GT_FlyBy; 4/11/18 at 01:09 PM.
Old 4/11/18, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I can avoid snow but not rain so I think I'm going with Continental ExtremeContact Sports, 255/40 19s. The size is almost a perfect match and I've gotten really good testimonials on them. A bit more expensive but they should last longer. Hopefelly the weather will clear up by next week and I can get the new tires then.

As an aside, dammn I love my GT/CS. It's 4 years old now and, even after sitting for 5 long months in the garage, sometimes at -35C, it started up instantly. I'm not sure if that is unusual (however, I seem to recall guys on the Corvette forum saying they'd go on vacation for two weeks and their cars were dead afterwards) but, to me, it's an amazing thing.
good choice. That’s the tire I run as my DD and it’s quite good in the dry and wet.
Old 4/13/18, 12:20 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts

The Contis as you mentioned are a bit more expensive, but when compared to Michelin PSS, the Contis are actually less and considered a bargain. At any rate, I'll be looking into Conti Extreme Contact Sport in 285/40/18 to replace Nitto G2 275/35/20's
Old 4/25/18, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
You can also go to a 255/40 19, that is what comes on the Performance Package V6 with the same wheels.

Thanks for pointing that out. I went with your 255/40 suggestion on sizing and with the Continental ExtremeContact Sports and I couldn't be happier! Wow, what an improvement. They feel like my car pivots on demand now, without any of the previous back end trembling.

And, bonus, the Sports are remarkably more comfortable than the stock Pirellis. Within minutes of leaving the installer I was once again on the same stretch of train tracks and broken road my routine takes me over every day and the difference almost made me laugh. Maybe it's the lower unsprung weight at each corner or maybe these tires are just that much more pliable. They feel like the difference between a run-flat and a non run-flat. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 4/25/18, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I was looking at the g2's for awhile. I was going to do a square 265 set up. But just recently I decided I'm going to get the 10" wide track pack wheels from AM and have them powder coated to match the oem brembo wheel color. Then do the conti EC sports in the stock 255 up front and 295 in the rear. Both are the same overall height and of course the same stock height. Won't adversely affect turning with a wider front and get more meat out back. The EC sports I've read are actually better than the pss. Equal in dry and durability and better in wet. Granted the sports are the latest conti and the pss is last gen.