Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Possible Boss M-plate spotted

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/10, 07:29 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
My Focus ST has SVT wheels, painted calipers, and a soup can exhaust. (For sake of argument.)

Does that make it Ford's next Focus RS?

I don't think there's enough data to conclude anything here other than it's a Mustang with some modifications.
There is:
The manufacturer's plate indicating this is a test vehicle. Why would Ford waste their resources tarting up a V6 with otherwise useless (for a V6) bits?
The BIG RED kill switch button on the dash. These are used when prototype systems are tested in order to protect the car from fire or other damage if something breaks.

So in all likelihood what we have is a car (which could have rolled off the line as a V6) with a prototype powertrain and with most if not all the styling and functional bits attributed to the BOSS 302R.

If it walks like a duck...
Old 5/12/10, 07:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dragstart
Well, whoever lives in that little crackerbox can't be too high up in the food chain. Prolly some drone that stole a blemmed splitter and stuck it on his 2010 v-6.
wow we have a balla on our hands....nice comment by the way on the "crackerbox".....
Old 5/12/10, 07:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
There is:
The manufacturer's plate indicating this is a test vehicle. Why would Ford waste their resources tarting up a V6 with otherwise useless (for a V6) bits?
The BIG RED kill switch button on the dash. These are used when prototype systems are tested in order to protect the car from fire or other damage if something breaks.

So in all likelihood what we have is a car (which could have rolled off the line as a V6) with a prototype powertrain and with most if not all the styling and functional bits attributed to the BOSS 302R.

If it walks like a duck...
It could be a goose. . .

Good points. But seeing a manufacturers plate in the Detroit area is kind of like seeing a personalized plate in VA. Not overwhelming evidence. The kill switch is a little compelling. Maybe it's a NOS switch.

And who said Ford "tarted up" this car?

I could go either way on it. My point is that we still don't have enough information.
Old 5/12/10, 07:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wannabe
So (again), why the Pony faux gas cap?
Go look at the pics of the Boss 302R. They're not showing it as a touted up GT.

The M-plate sparked interest, and the consistencies between the car I spotted and the 302R make it a good fit for a Boss mule. The only other real question is what was under the hood.

Also, the car was a manual. I forgot to mention that last night.
Old 5/12/10, 07:52 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Go look at the pics of the Boss 302R. They're not showing it as a touted up GT.

The M-plate sparked interest, and the consistencies between the car I spotted and the 302R make it a good fit for a Boss mule. The only other real question is what was under the hood.

Also, the car was a manual. I forgot to mention that last night.
What I like is -> prototype powertrain /= 412hp.
Old 5/12/10, 07:57 AM
GTR Member

M-plates and slightly different than the normal features we see on a car are enough to spark my interest. The people I know in the auto industry usually verify things once I spot them. I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm waiting on a reply from a local source to see if they know anything about this particular car.

At first glance, I thought it was just a GT500 with a stripe delete. After closer inspection, it has a mix of GT and GT500 parts, as well as some other things we've not seen on a production car yet.

When the 302R was shown, we all dissected it and found that it was a lot of Ford parts bin type stuff. I would suspect that the 2012 Boss, given what I've seen will have:

-GT500 with the SVTPP upgraded suspension
-SVTPP wheels (possibly in a different finish)
-CS front diffuser without fogs, possibly with the secondary splitter
-Unique interior, possibly Recaro seats
-4" exhaust

So, after the pics and the analysis, you're basically taking a GT motor, dropping a few parts on that, then using a GT500 suspension, add a couple of off the shelf body parts, and you're set. Seems like a cost-effective way of doing a more limited production car.
Old 5/12/10, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for posting these pics.

Well, whoever lives in that little crackerbox can't be too high up in the food chain. Prolly some drone that stole a blemmed splitter and stuck it on his 2010 v-6.
Pics of your mansion?

one thing I miss about living in Michigan is seeing these cars on the road before they were put into production. Even after the Camaro had been on sale, I couldn't find a single one on the road in Northern Virginia. Talking to friends/family back in Detroit they told me they were all over the road.

Then again, people of NoVA are stuck on foreign cars like pigs on sh*t. They are still stuck in the early 90s.
Old 5/12/10, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
wow we have a balla on our hands....nice comment by the way on the "crackerbox".....
Just having a little fun

But.....if I pay $600,000 for a house, it better have some palm trees in the yard and the smell of saltwater in the air.............back to the serious stuff.
Old 5/12/10, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedWings
Thanks for posting these pics.

Pics of your mansion?

one thing I miss about living in Michigan is seeing these cars on the road before they were put into production. Even after the Camaro had been on sale, I couldn't find a single one on the road in Northern Virginia. Talking to friends/family back in Detroit they told me they were all over the road.

Then again, people of NoVA are stuck on foreign cars like pigs on sh*t. They are still stuck in the early 90s.
My 'crackerbox' looks just about like that one, but it's in Ill-noise, so it's a little cheaper.
Old 5/12/10, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

My 'crackerbox' looks just about like that one, but it's in Ill-noise, so it's a little cheaper.
I doubt that house he posted is $600k....that was the NoVA guy making that comment.

The house posted is probably in line, if not cheaper, than yours in Ill. Michigan economy took a nasty hit and so did their home prices. Big time buyers market there.
Old 5/12/10, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Just having a little fun

But.....if I pay $600,000 for a house, it better have some palm trees in the yard and the smell of saltwater in the air.............back to the serious stuff.
Its all good...just busting ya chops. It is the internet after all
Old 5/12/10, 08:37 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm telllin' Pete!
Old 5/12/10, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Just having a little fun

off topic...

the reason northern VA, MD, DC triangle is that expensive is because of the one thing lacking today in the USA...JOBS
palm trees and saltwater only jobs are waiters, bartenders and landscapers...all to take care of the guy who can buy the 600k house like that one
Old 5/12/10, 09:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
off topic...

the reason northern VA, MD, DC triangle is that expensive is because of the one thing lacking today in the USA...JOBS
palm trees and saltwater only jobs are waiters, bartenders and landscapers...all to take care of the guy who can buy the 600k house like that one
Amen!

Just noticed your location. LMFAO... Been there, know that!
Old 5/12/10, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
off topic...

I don't want a job.....I'm talking about my retirement home. With palm trees in the yard and the smell of saltwater in the air.

Back to topic.
Old 5/12/10, 10:53 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For now appearance is minor (that's easily changed)
the stuff underneath is what they would be testing, with the setup.

Pop the hood
Old 5/12/10, 10:56 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
For now appearance is minor (that's easily changed)
the stuff underneath is what they would be testing, with the setup.

Pop the hood
I wanted to so bad, but it wasn't my car. We'll see if I see it again soon. I might ante up and knock on the door and see if he'll come out and chat about it.
Old 5/12/10, 11:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I wanted to so bad, but it wasn't my car. We'll see if I see it again soon. I might ante up and knock on the door and see if he'll come out and chat about it.
Tell him you're with Autoblog or InsideLine. That should help.
Old 5/12/10, 11:16 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Tell him you're with Autoblog or InsideLine. That should help.
I've talked to him before, one night he had a KR in the driveway and I was walking with the girlfriend and mentioned that he had a "nice car". He seemed pretty laid back at the time.
Old 5/12/10, 12:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I'm with you, Overboost. Everything points to what we expect the Boss to looks like, externally at least (minus the Boss graphics which I suspect will be an option).

The only downside, if you can call it that, is that it'll be relatively easy to turn a GT into a Boss tribute, with off the shelf parts.

Can't wait to know what BHP the final car will run

Quick Reply: Possible Boss M-plate spotted