Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

porter cable?

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/15, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
porter cable?

What's a good orbital buffer to have? I have always wanted to get one but am scared to use it. Is it easy and safe to use one?
Old 5/16/15, 11:21 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by dohc97
What's a good orbital buffer to have? I have always wanted to get one but am scared to use it. Is it easy and safe to use one?
I've been scared sh*tless to use a buffer too. But I bit the buillet and got a Porter Cable Dual Action 7424XP.

Get a DA, not an orbital. A DA has a clutch mechanism that will disengage if you put too much pressure on the machine. It's idiot proof....you can't burn your paint. I've used mine 3X now, and I love it. So simple an idiot can use it....and I'm an idiot. And the results reach the level of HOLY EFFIN CRAP!!!

AutoGeek has several bundles....I got this one:

http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable...value-kit.html

My bundle came with an invaluable video. They changed it to a book, but the website has several videos amd there's a bunch of stuff on YouTube.
Old 5/16/15, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I will second the Porter Cable mentioned above.
Old 5/16/15, 12:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porter cable here also. There is nothing to be afraid of using a machine on your paint. If your a newbie just watch some youtube vids before giving it a go.
Old 5/16/15, 01:58 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
haha, just in case it isn't clear...get a porter cable DA. And don't be afriad. Invest in good pads and maintain them well. don't let them get gunged caked up with old polish and wax. I have about a dozen pads, each for different applications.
Old 5/16/15, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dohc97
http://www.cyclotoolmakers.com/polishers.php

Used this on my black 5.0 when I first got it. Came out insane without 1 single swirl. I used to detail cars and used a lot of polishers from the old Milwaukee rotary to the orbitals, etc... This cyclo polisher is hands down the best one I have used. Of course thats personal opinion. Check out some videos on YouTube. Little more money than others but worth every penny. A beginner could use this thing without problems.
Old 5/16/15, 02:59 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
haha, just in case it isn't clear...get a porter cable DA. And don't be afriad. Invest in good pads and maintain them well. don't let them get gunged caked up with old polish and wax. I have about a dozen pads, each for different applications.
Agree wholeheartedly with our Canadian brother.

Get a bundle that has a 5.5" velcro disc and polish/wax pads. The machine comes with a 6" diameter, thick foam pad. Use this one as a cushion for buffing with micro fiber bonnets...and pick up a few packs of 6" bonnets...I got several 2 packs @ Advanced Auto for about $7 each pack. You'll need a few....they'll get a little caked with polish and wax residue so just swap 'em out. They're washable too.

Even though my '14 is just a year old, I was really discouraged with all the swirls, scratches, and holograms that stuck out like a sore thumb in direct overhead sunlight. I did a correction with the buffer and the results blew me away....the very first time I used it. Today it got it's third wax for a show tomorrow. This photo is untouched other than being compressed for upload.
Attached Thumbnails porter cable?-c006.jpg  
Old 5/16/15, 03:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been using mine for over a decade and it's still kicking. Pads and products are the key. Watch a ton of YouTube videos and all the stuff on Autogeek.net. There's a ton of useful infomation on there. I use Lake Country pads and Meg's products. I have some other stuff I've tried out but I keep sticking to Meg's stuff. Some of the stuff from Dodo is good and Chemical Guys as well.
Old 5/16/15, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely get a DA polisher, the Porter Cable is a good one and probably the cheapest good one you can get. The biggest lesson I learned was that doing it yourself is very easy but time consuming. A one step polish and sealer will take all day, a two step like I did was a two day project. Allow for the time when you do it and don't rush. Also do some research on the products available. I chose Chemical Guys and they are easy to use and great quality. Good luck on your project!
Old 5/18/15, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
As others have said, the Porter-Cable DA is great. Surprised FromZto5 hasn't weighed in here yet!
Old 5/18/15, 10:42 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Been looking to buy a buffer. Ordered!

Last edited by VidPro; 5/18/15 at 05:03 PM.
Old 5/18/15, 01:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
As others have said, the Porter-Cable DA is great. Surprised FromZto5 hasn't weighed in here yet!
LOL... sorry I missed this thread.

PC (Porter Cable) is good for newbies and beginners. Once you get the hang of it and realize how literally easy it is to do (it really is guys...), you will spring for something stronger, faster, and easier to use.

PC is good for starters, but has too much vibration (wears on your forearms, can cause tendonitis) and not enough "oomph"/power and area of rotation. So you will have to go over the area more times/longer to get the same correction as stronger/better units like: Flex, Torq, Rupes, etc... (feel free to google all those brands I mentioned).

Summary: for a first time detailer, go with PC, but know that you will want to upgrade after 1 season of use. (I only use my PC now for Sealant applications...)

p.s. I didn't save my video, but I posted one on IG...just search for my username (same) and you'll see a vid I posted of me using my Flex.

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/18/15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 5/18/15, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
LOL... sorry I missed this thread.

PC (Porter Cable) is good for newbies and beginners. Once you get the hang of it and realize how literally easy it is to do (it really is guys...), you will spring for something stronger, faster, and easier to use.

PC is good for starters, but has too much vibration (wears on your forearms, can cause tendonitis) and not enough "oomph"/power and area of rotation. So you will have to go over the area more times/longer to get the same correction as stronger/better units like: Flex, Torq, Rupes, etc... (feel free to google all those brands I mentioned).

Summary: for a first time detailer, go with PC, but know that you will want to upgrade after 1 season of use. (I only use my PC now for Sealant applications...)

p.s. I didn't save my video, but I posted one on IG...just search for my username (same) and you'll see a vid I posted of me using my Flex.
Ever use the cyclo polisher? Phenomenal machine. Practically zero vibration. Used it with some Adams products + collenite wax and my black looked wet when I was done. Not one swirl. Hands down the best polisher I have ever used. Expensive but worth every penny.
Old 5/18/15, 02:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by imeyers302
Ever use the cyclo polisher? Phenomenal machine. Practically zero vibration. Used it with some Adams products + collenite wax and my black looked wet when I was done. Not one swirl. Hands down the best polisher I have ever used. Expensive but worth every penny.
I heard about those too! Good things. Right now I already have 3 buffers lol. My favorite right now is my small 3" one to get around tight areas.
Old 5/19/15, 07:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the FLEX and been using it for the last few years. Works great and I've never harmed the paint.
Old 5/19/15, 08:13 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I have a Groit's Garage DA. Only used it once so far but I liked it.