View Poll Results: Which mod to get???
MGW Shifter
40.00%
GT/CS front fascia + Boss splitter
50.00%
Other??? (no tunes please)
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Please help me decide: Shifter or Fascia or... ?

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/11, 08:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Please help me decide: Shifter or Fascia or... ?

So ok, I know I don't have my 5.0 yet (December), but I am already buying up some parts/mods so I have it ready and will keep me busy installing these over the winter.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I already have GT500 mufflers sitting in my garage waiting for my car

I've narrowed it down to 2 types of mods. However, if you have other suggestions for other mods, please suggest them. Note that I would like to stay "Tune-free", so though I would like the Steeda CAI, I will pass since I don't want to void my warranty hours after picking up my new 5.0... lol.

Option 1: Performance/Feel

MGW SHIFTER
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ll-review.html

It's new... (anyone have it installed yet?). Supposed to be built like mactruck. More precise, more support, better reverse lockout, etc. Eliminates difficulty getting into reverse, 2-3, etc. This shouldn't void any warranty, correct? Plus MGW makes some GREAT stuff, from their past history and what I have read. Can anyone attest to this?

Option 2: Pure Aesthetics

GT/CS Front Fascia plus Boss Splitter
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Lower-Valance

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...treet-Splitter

My car is obviously coming with just the stock fascia. But I've seen the GT/CS + Boss combo on several cars and it looks great. Just wondering if it's worth the $$$.

By the way, both options are ~400 bucks once said and done. So toss up. So question is, WHICH would you rather have me get?

p.s. if you have any other suggestions for other mods different from these 2, please mention too.

thanks.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/5/11 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10/5/11, 08:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with looks first if you're worried about warranty. The mgw is awesome, but the stock one isn't that bad. That fascia and splitter are sweet, if I didn't have what I do then that would've been my first mod. Both are great choices, but if you're going mgw I would call now and get on the list.
Old 10/5/11, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you haven't got your car yet and your already thinking about changing the shifter? It's a great shifter and I find it's very precise and accurate....drive the car first then think about changing things if you don't like them....don't just change something because others don;t like it lol

I would start with axle backs and then suspension but after i got bored with stck first.

Last edited by LLZuB; 10/5/11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10/5/11, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every new mustang needs a new shifter...period
Old 10/5/11, 10:15 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Hytek
Go with looks first if you're worried about warranty. The mgw is awesome, but the stock one isn't that bad. That fascia and splitter are sweet, if I didn't have what I do then that would've been my first mod. Both are great choices, but if you're going mgw I would call now and get on the list.
For warranty issues, I'd just put the stock one back on if need be. And yes, I have my name on the reserved list, but can opt out of it next week if I decide not to get it. (they ship in 2 weeks)

Originally Posted by LLZuB
you haven't got your car yet and your already thinking about changing the shifter? It's a great shifter and I find it's very precise and accurate....drive the car first then think about changing things if you don't like them....don't just change something because others don;t like it lol

I would start with axle backs and then suspension but after i got bored with stck first.
Yeah driving it on the lot (a used one) it seemed fine. But it seems like all the reviews I've read about MGW in general have all been extremely positive. Sound like they know what they're doing. Also talked to the owner/designer and got the scoop on the stock vs MGW, etc. Folks that have had an MGW installed at some point have never regretted it on past mustangs.

p.s. I do have the GT500's mufflers already sitting in my garage

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Every new mustang needs a new shifter...period
Please elaborate. Is your shifter on your GT500 the same MT-82 as the 5.0's? And I take it you don't like yours? And what shifter do you have installed currently?
Old 10/5/11, 10:16 AM
I Have No Life

In addition, is paying 400 bucks for a fascia/splitter just for looks, worth it?
Old 10/5/11, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FromZto5

For warranty issues, I'd just put the stock one back on if need be. And yes, I have my name on the reserved list, but can opt out of it next week if I decide not to get it. (they ship in 2 weeks)

Yeah driving it on the lot (a used one) it seemed fine. But it seems like all the reviews I've read about MGW in general have all been extremely positive. Sound like they know what they're doing. Also talked to the owner/designer and got the scoop on the stock vs MGW, etc. Folks that have had an MGW installed at some point have never regretted it on past mustangs.

p.s. I do have the GT500's mufflers already sitting in my garage

Please elaborate. Is your shifter on your GT500 the same MT-82 as the 5.0's? And I take it you don't like yours? And what shifter do you have installed currently?
No, but it still sucked like every stock shifter that rolls off the line. An MGW replaced it and it's probably the best thing I've purchased for it.
Old 10/5/11, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
In addition, is paying 400 bucks for a fascia/splitter just for looks, worth it?
depends what you after with your car....for some it would be worth it...for others it wouldn't

that's why I suggested lowering the car....adds in the looks and performance department...2 birds, 1 stone
Old 10/5/11, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

I personally would opt the front fascia/splitter combo then add the brake cooling kit. While the stock shifter is crap compared to what's available in the aftermarket it's not completely terrible like shifters of the past generation cars. The MGW does allow for adjusting the handle, which may allow better shifts while there are beverages in the cup holders, and that to me would be a worthy upgrade.
Old 10/5/11, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93-331-29psi
I personally would opt the front fascia/splitter combo then add the brake cooling kit. While the stock shifter is crap compared to what's available in the aftermarket it's not completely terrible like shifters of the past generation cars. The MGW does allow for adjusting the handle, which may allow better shifts while there are beverages in the cup holders, and that to me would be a worthy upgrade.
Everyone keeps talking about cup holders, WTH are these cup holders, I don't have them in mine. Brake cooling kit¿, I don't think he said he was making a race car.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 10/5/11 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10/5/11, 02:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Old 10/5/11, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked other. I say get new exhaust!! I don't know anything about shifters, so can't say on them. I'm trying to sell my Flowmaster 40's. They sound sweet on my 5.0. You can buy them?

I'm good with the stock fascia, too. See ya!
Old 10/5/11, 07:27 PM
I Have No Life

No, but it still sucked like every stock shifter that rolls off the line. An MGW replaced it and it's probably the best thing I've purchased for it.
Sounds like you're really happy with it? I think I saw the GT500 shifter on MGW's website. I assume that's what you have? So please explain why you seem to love it so much? How did it improve it? And the overall quality of the piece itself... is it as good as they talk it up to be?

Originally Posted by LLZuB
depends what you after with your car....for some it would be worth it...for others it wouldn't

that's why I suggested lowering the car....adds in the looks and performance department...2 birds, 1 stone
The springs sound like the next thing for me to get too. I had an RX7 once and lowered those on Eibachs... totally changed the look and feel of the car. How much am I looking to spend for 5.0 springs (assuming Steeda springs or Eibachs or ...) and install?

Originally Posted by 93-331-29psi
No brake cooling kit for me... not needed. I don't track or race... and have no desire to. This will be used for street driving, albeit spirited at times

Surprisingly, the MGW shifter does NOT come with a different ****. It is designed to utilize the stock ****, and look like stock/OEM once installed and shift boot in place... just will FEEL so much better...
Old 10/5/11, 07:28 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
I picked other. I say get new exhaust!! I don't know anything about shifters, so can't say on them. I'm trying to sell my Flowmaster 40's. They sound sweet on my 5.0. You can buy them?

I'm good with the stock fascia, too. See ya!
Thanks man, but I already have an exhaust (GT500 mufflers) sitting in my garage I thought I mentioned that in my first post?

looks like I didnt mention it... sorry about that. I edited my 1st post.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/5/11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10/5/11, 08:04 PM
Banned

The best answer I could give you about MGW is smooth accurate shifting. The quality of MGW is second to none, ask anyone and everyone on this site, what the think of MGW shifters? I don't think you'll get one complaint about them.
Old 10/5/11, 09:11 PM
I Have No Life

The best answer I could give you about MGW is smooth accurate shifting. The quality of MGW is second to none, ask anyone and everyone on this site, what the think of MGW shifters? I don't think you'll get one complaint about them.
from what i have read so far in my research, all folks with MGWs are very happy with their shifters.
Old 10/6/11, 08:09 AM
V6 Member

Brake cooling kit¿, I don't think he said he was making a race car.
That's why I started my post with "I personally"
Old 10/6/11, 08:22 AM
GT Member

Since you already have the GT500 mufflers, you could start with a GT500 lower rear diffuser style fascia.
Old 10/7/11, 03:50 PM
I Have No Life

^ I think as far as bang for buck, not sure I need to upgrade the rear diffuser to GT500 style. That would be low priority. Upgrading the front fascia has more visual bang than the rear IMO.

Any other input from other folks?