Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

plastic door plug

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/21, 08:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
plastic door plug

we had really heavy rain last night and i went to start the car this morning and heard sloshing from in the door i heard about the door plugs before but being as this is the second time they have held water inside the door i was wondering if the plug actually needs to be in the door i took it out as i was looking online for a replacement but so far i haven't found any the part number is 2L14 7820338 AB it is a little plastic piece with 2 tabs that hold it into place....as this is the 2nd time i found water in the door i have resorted to leaving it off the door, i am also guessing that i should check the drain hole under the cabin filter as well but as the rain is relentless at the moment i will check it out in the morning...has anyone else had an issue with these tabs
Old 9/20/21, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
the ones in the door can be removed and thrown away, then you can also see if the drain holes are clogged, and if so -- unclog them

I don't think the drain thing under the cabin air filter would need to be changed; they just need to be kept clean and unclogged

The following users liked this post:
houtex (9/20/21)
Old 9/20/21, 09:56 AM
V6 Member

i just fear more damage inside the door if it's submerged in water not sure why the door plug holds water IN but i removed it and it did seem to drain for about 15 seconds so the plug is currently in my pocket i just need to look into the cabin filter thing but i need the rain to stop first..thanks for the information i was going to go to ford this am and ask why these hold water in instead of letting it out but if it isn't needed i am not going to buy a new one for it i thought maybe it was a flawed design as a lot of people are having issues with them... i was just more concerned with all the electronics in the door(power mirrors w puddle lamp,subwoofer,door speaker,power locks,power window motor,etc) i'll keep an eye on it and see what happens maybe i will take a trek to ford it's 3 mins away and see if there was a part that super seeded the original
Old 9/20/21, 10:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
15 seconds means there wasn't that much water in it, really. Sure, it looks like a lot, but the volume at the bottom of the door is surprisingly big. You didn't hurt anything, if it's still workin' it's still workin'.

I can't say I've heard much about the doors pluggin' up. I've hear waaaaay more about that cabin filter drain issue. 'Course, stop parkin' under trees and all that goes away. I've never had either on Awesome... yet...
Old 9/21/21, 12:42 AM
V6 Member

i don't have much choice the car is parked outside in my driveway and gets all 4 seasons thrown at it but not driven in them....like i said since June 2019 i have put approx 1600km on the car, i bought it as an investment but it was a losing investment i would have been better off in the stock market,next year it'll probably need a roof replacement as it's hitting 9 yrs old but i'll address that when i have to, just don't want to invest a lot into something i don't use, i might even look into a car cover for it.......thing is it takes 60 days to process it and another 3 weeks to get to me
Old 9/21/21, 08:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I was bein' a little facetious there, actually. I apologize. Sorta my nature, I gotta stop that... I know it's a problem for a lot of people to not park under detritus producing foliage, unfortunately. And it's a convertible? Outside? Ouchies. I didn't know that part.

Sooner you start on something the sooner it gets here/done, so order the cover I'd say. Perhaps order another right after because sun/elements will destroy it and you'll need a new one soon enough, unfortunately...
Old 9/21/21, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

most important things right now are to remove the door plugs and never put them back, and make sure the cowl drains are not clogged

and if you want to sell the car, now would be a good time to do it; I doubt you will ever get more for it, than you can right now
houtex (9/21/21)
Old 9/22/21, 11:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Mustang_Driver
i don't have much choice the car is parked outside in my driveway and gets all 4 seasons thrown at it but not driven in them....like i said since June 2019 i have put approx 1600km on the car, i bought it as an investment but it was a losing investment i would have been better off in the stock market,next year it'll probably need a roof replacement as it's hitting 9 yrs old but i'll address that when i have to, just don't want to invest a lot into something i don't use, i might even look into a car cover for it.......thing is it takes 60 days to process it and another 3 weeks to get to me
You bought a car as an investment that you intended to leave sitting out in your driveway in all conditions without even a car cover? That is crazy.
Old 9/26/21, 11:52 AM
GT Member

Buying cars for an investment is a bad idea unless:
A) You are already rich and have a fleet and a place to keep them. (Alternatively, rich enough to buy a high-price in-demand limited-edition car that you can flip in a year or two for a hefty profit, but you still need a place to store it and factor that into the total cost).
B) You are a flipper. Buy something broken, repair it, and sell for profit. The housing market is full of this. (However, they often buy houses that are alright and turn them in to lux that no one in the area can afford ... or they just slap on a coat of paint and think that earned a 100K price jump).

Last edited by VIP1; 9/26/21 at 11:58 AM.
Old 9/27/21, 07:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

and maybe one more:

C) there is a pandemic that makes used car prices go crazy . . . which just happened, so now is a good time to sell if you want to "cut your losses"
Old 9/28/21, 10:35 PM
GT Member

Right, I forgot about "C".
Bert (9/29/21)