Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pay for Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/14, 03:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pay for Oil Change

Hate to make a complaint thread, but took the GT to get the first oil change at 4500. Surprise surprise, ended up paying for it. My last 2 cars were new, as is my wife's 2013 Beetle and we never had to pay for an oil change while under warranty. I think that free oil changes should come with the purchase of a 40k car. I know many people change their own oil, but because of where I live I am unable to do this. Love my car and this is just a minor irritation.
Old 2/14/14, 04:36 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I got 1 free oil change on my v6. You should check the oil level to make sure they put 8 quarts in your GT.
Old 2/14/14, 04:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I know it's not free, but I buy Mobil 1 synthetic oil and an oil filter and bring it to my dealership (WALMART sells the oil and filter for a little more than 1/2 of what the dealership would charge). They use my oil and filter and charge me $15 for the oil change. I used to always change my own, but to me the $15 extra is worth the hassle of not having to transport and dispose of the old oil at a local auto parts store, or clean up an occasional driveway/garage spill. Plus I trust the dealership more than any other oil change place.
Old 2/14/14, 06:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I prefer it this way. I'd rather get a slightly better deal on the car and do my own oil changes. I don't trust the service techs to do a proper oil change...especially when it's likely some new guy that barely knows anything (and is getting paid the least...) doing it.

I'll change my own oil.
Old 2/14/14, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I prefer it this way. I'd rather get a slightly better deal on the car and do my own oil changes. I don't trust the service techs to do a proper oil change...especially when it's likely some new guy that barely knows anything (and is getting paid the least...) doing it.

I'll change my own oil.
Amen to that. Worked at the dealership for almost a year. They just hired whoever off the street whether they knew how to even change oil or not and paid them the least. The guys I worked around forgot to rotate/tighten the tires up after. Once started a truck before they put oil in it. Usually put wrong amount of oil in it and the list goes on and on. It was frightening I will never let anyone else touch my car but I also work at a shop and have access to a lift at work. Unfortunately not everyone had that kind of access and you just have to find a good tech you can trust.

Last edited by LivinTheStangLife; 2/14/14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 2/14/14, 08:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
Amen to that. Worked at the dealership for almost a year. They just hired whoever off the street whether they knew how to even change oil or not and paid them the least. The guys I worked around forgot to rotate/tighten the tires up after. Once started a truck before they put oil in it. Usually put wrong account of oil in it and the list goes on and on. It was frightening I will never let anyone else touch my car but I also work at a shop and have access to a lift at work. Unfortunately not everyone had that kind of access and you just have to find a good tech you can trust.
Not to mention almost every time I've ever touched a car that a shop worked on, the oil drain plug was torqued down using the same specs as the wheels they'd just finished, making it almost impossible to get loosened with an open-ended wrench and completely disregarding that the recommended torque for our cars' drain plugs is 19 lb/ft only.
Old 2/14/14, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde

Not to mention almost every time I've ever touched a car that a shop worked on, the oil drain plug was torqued down using the same specs as the wheels they'd just finished, making it almost impossible to get loosened with an open-ended wrench and completely disregarding that the recommended torque for our cars' drain plugs is 19 lb/ft only.
Or they just forget to tighten. Had one come in after just being at the dealer bc they recommended 50 things he didn't need and they had changed his oil. Oil was dripping pretty good out of the plug when I put it up, it wasn't even finger tight. Pathetic! They also would occasionally just run lug nuts on with impact as tight as they could get them. Stressed me out just watching them with at all and the service manager didn't give 2 *****.
Old 2/14/14, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't get the complaint...you mean all bolt's/nuts are NOT supposed to tightened until you feel your sternum start to separate? Now you tell me~

John
Old 2/14/14, 11:17 AM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
Hate to make a complaint thread, but took the GT to get the first oil change at 4500. Surprise surprise, ended up paying for it. My last 2 cars were new, as is my wife's 2013 Beetle and we never had to pay for an oil change while under warranty. I think that free oil changes should come with the purchase of a 40k car. I know many people change their own oil, but because of where I live I am unable to do this. Love my car and this is just a minor irritation.
Lifetime oil changes for me, you have to add the service to your purchase.
Old 2/14/14, 01:40 PM

For all you guys who pay for oil changes, how do the lifts treat the sideskirts of the car??? I have a 2013. The only lifting points are the bottom of the side skirts, unless you use a jack insert. Does it mar or scrape them up? Can the plastic withstand the weight? I know some lifts have rubber pads, but they are grungy
Old 2/14/14, 01:49 PM
GT Member

I take my stang to the dealer for oil changes. Too lazy to do it myself anymore and while I trust the Jiffy Lube guys to do it right (they're actually pretty good), I figure the Ford mechanic may see something off since that's all he works on.
Old 2/14/14, 01:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by exchallenger
I take my stang to the dealer for oil changes. Too lazy to do it myself anymore and while I trust the Jiffy Lube guys to do it right (they're actually pretty good), I figure the Ford mechanic may see something off since that's all he works on.

Same here brother.

Last1, I would have a talk with your sales person. Maybe they can help you on the next one. I've always got the first change free.

Last edited by wanted33; 2/14/14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 2/14/14, 03:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty sure the first change should be free and also a $10 credit towards any other ford service or parts. I think its under our Owner Advantage Rewards.
Old 2/14/14, 04:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently decided too just do my own oil changes and tire rotations. I'm tired of waiting 2 plus hours for this too be done at a business. If you factor in my drive time there and back plus my wait time, it takes me over three hours for an oil change and tire rotation. On top of that its like 45 dollars for both things and that's using their regular oil. If I want a synthetic oil its around 60 dollars.

Strictly speaking from a time factor I can change the oil and filter and rotate all four tires in less than 3 hours. I can buy my synthetic oil and Napa gold filter for under $ 40. I save 20 dollars , save time and get the enjoyment of working on my stang. Self accomplishment so too speak.
I can also bring it in too a shop, supply my own oil and filter and they charge 15 dollars for the oil change. So between the 15 dollars and 10 dollars for tire rotation its 25.00 dollars extra. I just don't want to waste 3 hours for the oil change and enjoy working on my car.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/14/14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 2/14/14, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Price tag for oil change, tire rotation at All American Ford in Old Bridge NJ was just shy of $80. I was like what the...?? This is where I bought the vehicle. I won't be going there again as I was clearly ripped off. Nice customer service and great way to show that you value your customers.
Old 2/14/14, 09:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Price tag for oil change, tire rotation at All American Ford in Old Bridge NJ was just shy of $80. I was like what the...?? This is where I bought the vehicle. I won't be going there again as I was clearly ripped off. Nice customer service and great way to show that you value your customers.
I hope they gave you a reach around for that 80 dollars. Holy sheeeeet. Lol. I wouldnt be back their either.
Old 2/14/14, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I hope they gave you a reach around for that 80 dollars. Holy sheeeeet. Lol. I wouldnt be back their either.
It baffles me how Ford doesn't step in to do something about these sh***y dealers representing their brand. This is everywhere. It took me 3 dealers to actually order this vehicle and even after the order it was a pain in the you know what through the entire process.

Last edited by Last1; 2/14/14 at 09:53 PM.
Old 2/14/14, 10:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Clevor
For all you guys who pay for oil changes, how do the lifts treat the sideskirts of the car??? I have a 2013. The only lifting points are the bottom of the side skirts, unless you use a jack insert. Does it mar or scrape them up? Can the plastic withstand the weight? I know some lifts have rubber pads, but they are grungy
It doesn't hurt them at all. Ford isn't so dumb as to build a car that can't be serviced at its own dealers without damaging them,
Old 2/14/14, 10:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It baffles me how Ford doesn't step in to do something about these sh***y dealers representing their brand. This is everywhere. It took me 3 dealers to actually order this vehicle and even after the order it was a pain in the you know what through the entire process.
Totally agree. You think Ford would step in and tell these dealerships if they want to sell Fords then there gonna conduct business a certain way.
Old 2/14/14, 10:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've never paid for one on this car (DIY) but when you consider 8 quarts of oil @ $4-5 each, there's $40. A decent filter is $8-10 so there's 50. And 15 minutes of a mechanic who gets billed at $100/hour like most shops is $25, so that's $75. Doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, considering I generally pay $65 for Castrol full synthetic oil and a K&N oil filter to do it myself.

Quick Reply: Pay for Oil Change