Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Park interlock Failure? 2013 V6 Auto CRASH!

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/14, 07:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Park interlock Failure? 2013 V6 Auto CRASH!

Hi all,
Anyone else ever have the 2013 V6 Auto appear to pop out of PARK?

I had a terrible incciedent the other day, the Mustang is trashed. I parked on a hill at a friends house, got out of the car(left the keys in it), walked up 3 steps, turned around and walked back down, stopped to pet the dogs, then walked to gate to enter back yard. As I turned to latch the gate I saw the Mustang was rolling backwards down the hill. (A full 30-60 seconds after exiting it).

I sprinted after it, yanked the door open, dove in and hammered the gearshift forward to make sure it was in park. The car continued to roll and impacted a steel building, wrecking the rear bumper and passenger rear quarter and the building. The transmission never locked and the tires never skidded or locked before the impact.

EDIT

I went back to my friends house and parked in exactly the same spot, same angle, same drive to the house. With testing, I can now say 100%-this car has a problem. When turned off in any gear, and brake pedal released, the car rolled IMMEDIATELY. So when I was out of the car for 60 seconds before it moves pretty much proves there is a problem. when shut off in Park, it stayed put (this time). I will contact FORD and let them know there is a problem.

I suppose it could of been operator error, but I have been driving 35+ years and shutting down a car is automatic-like walking...I am 99% sure it was in Park when I exited. It's going to the dealer for a full investigation and repairs...

Last edited by RIBS; 6/5/14 at 04:10 PM.
Old 6/4/14, 07:55 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
No offense. Sounds like it wasn't in park.

One time, My sister got out of her driveway and started talking to the neighbor. Meanwhile her Highlander, rolled down the driveway into the street.

She only noticed because her kids in it were waving and saying "bye-bye" as it rolled away.
Old 6/4/14, 08:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking lock pins break. Sounds like the parking lock pin broke/sheared. Esp if you forced it into place after it was moving it sheared for sure.

Anytime I'm on a hill of any substance I set the parking brake. And if that doesn't work I'll turn the wheel creating a condition that might not be so bad.

One of the guys when I was in tech school had his car take off out of the hilly parking lot. It crossed 5 lanes of road thru the middle of major intersection. It was about 1/4 mile away from where he left it. It stopped on a grassy embankment on the far side of the intersection lol. He drove it away.

Last edited by RacerX27; 6/4/14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 6/4/14, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why would you park on a hill without using the parking brake??? Sorry to hear about your car, but honestly you're lucky it stopped at the building without hurting anyone.
Old 6/4/14, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
based on your parking conditions, it doesn't sound like you forgot to put it in park.

I AM SURE that if you did missed somehow, you would see that car rolling as soon as you removed your foot from the brake, even before you would open the door and get out of the car.

hopefully they find what had happened and where the car failed.
Old 6/4/14, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I always use my parking brake on anything but a level surface. I do not trust the "Park" setting of the transmission.
Old 6/4/14, 11:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
the wheels were not turned toward the curb either. Hope it gets all figured out.
Old 6/4/14, 12:06 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenn
the wheels were not turned toward the curb either. Hope it gets all figured out.

LOL, this is South Carolina! I was on a multi acre wooded lot with a gravel driveway and concrete pad outside the gargage...in a circular drive on a hill. Wheels were turned in direction required to navigate the circle....The yard was full of Boats, Trucks outbuildings and trees. I wish I had hit a tree dead on, that would probably of only taken out bumper cover, not the side of the car! No curbs within MILES!
Old 6/4/14, 12:07 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm assuming you took the keys out of the ignition when you got out?

Did you have the parking brake set at all?

Given that you were able to catch the car and get in, I'm guessing the hill wasn't steep at all?

Did you feel the car "set" against the transmission before you got out?
Old 6/4/14, 12:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
If you got into the vehicle to get it into park while it was rolling....why not just use the brakes and stop it...?
Old 6/4/14, 12:17 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RIBS
Wheels were turned in direction required to navigate the circle...I wish I had hit a tree dead on.
This whole thread sounds off...The car should've done a 180. And I certainly wouldn't *ever* wish to hit a tree...
Old 6/4/14, 12:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If only there was some kind of brake specifically made for parking.
Old 6/4/14, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
If only there was some kind of brake specifically made for parking.

Be nice lol. This made me LOL out loud out loud.

If in an auto and you pull the shifter out of park, and it CLUNKS, you should have set the parking break. That clunking over time will cause the parking cog to shear from repeated stress.
Old 6/4/14, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll admit, I've never in my life used the parking brake in an auto car, unless on a very, very steep hill.
Old 6/4/14, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OP, I feel your pain. Hopefully this gets squared away and you're back in the 'Stang in no time!

Originally Posted by puma1552
I'll admit, I've never in my life used the parking brake in an auto car, unless on a very, very steep hill.
I use it every time I park, even on flat land. My friends ask me why I do it, I tell them it's a "Parking brake" lol.

Most of my friends have beat up trucks, so apparently they don't care if they roll backwards downhill I guess hahaha.

Last edited by KushBandit; 6/4/14 at 01:45 PM.
Old 6/4/14, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I always put my car in neutral then apply the parking brake, then take my foot off the brake to let the car's weight rest on the back brakes, then put the car in park, on every hill. Something my father showed me as it leaves the weight of the car on the brakes instead of the transmission and you don't get the difficult to move shifter and the loud clunk when you put it in gear to leave. Feels, to me at least, that i'm saving some wear on the AT that way

OP, I know hindsight is 20/20 but man wish you would of thought to pull up on the emergency brake instead of the shifter... Better make sure the transmisison gets checked out with th ebody repairs.....GOOD LUCK
Old 6/5/14, 01:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
I use it every time I park, even on flat land. My friends ask me why I do it, I tell them it's a "Parking brake" lol.
That's a parking brake? I thought it was a drift lever!

Well, that explains a lot!
Old 6/5/14, 04:52 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The OP should have removed his 'keys'. Then he would have known if he was is 'park' or not. Can't remove keys unless transmission is in 'park'. Just saying..............

Last edited by David Young; 6/5/14 at 04:54 AM.
Old 6/5/14, 06:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RIBS
I sprinted after it, yanked the door open, dove in and hammered the gearshift forward to make sure it was in park.

Well the OP did a lot before the car actually started rolling backwards so that says the car must have been in Park I would think. If not then the car should have been rolling backward as soon as the OP tried to get out of the car. I wouldn't have slammed the car's transmission into Park though and the lever can't move without hitting the brakes right? If my car was rolling, I would always pull the parking brake. I am interested to see how this turns out
Old 6/5/14, 06:35 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Unfortunate, but a good reminder on how to park on a hill and use your parking brake.
Drivers Ed. 101
Attached Images  

Last edited by Boomer; 6/5/14 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Park interlock Failure? 2013 V6 Auto CRASH!