Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Palmer Motorsports Road course video - brand new track

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/15, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Palmer Motorsports Road course video - brand new track

Spent a day at the brand spankin new Palmer Motorsports Park today - personally, I loved the track. Limited runout, but excellent flow and a real driver's course. I ran my "new" conti scrubs for the 2 afternoon sessions and had a blast. My phone acted up most of the day, so the only clean laps I captured data/video on were 1.59 (shameless youtube link below ) and I'm highly confident I got quicker by the end of the day as the track layout worked it's way into muscle memory. I'll go back - hopefully they get the dirt washed off the track and plant some grass so we don't have constant dirt blowing back on.

Good day - and excellent driving to the other guys who were out there.

Only difference in my car from my signature is I ran Raybestos ST47 front pads and Conti slicks 275/35/18 square setup today.

And I posted this in "Motorsports" section too, but figured many don't make it over there.

Palmer Motorsports Park - 2014 Mustang GT laps with Northeast Track Days May 8, 2015 - YouTube
"> Palmer Motorsports Park - 2014 Mustang GT laps with Northeast Track Days May 8, 2015 - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="384">
Old 5/10/15, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oh and the commentary was from a friend from work - it was his first time ever at a track and he was clearly enjoying himself
Old 5/10/15, 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent!!!! Looks like fun!!😃
Old 5/10/15, 02:52 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Nice . You can tell by the video, this is a hard track to run on.
Old 5/10/15, 02:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a great track. It's always so fun IMO hunting Miata's on technical tracks.
Old 5/10/15, 03:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
Nice . You can tell by the video, this is a hard track to run on.
It's a very "technical" track, or as a couple guys were saying "a drivers track" Never a moment to breath like most others. Very engaging, very fun. I look forward to my next outing there!!

Friday was the first event at the track, as it's brand new, and I instructed for 4 guys through the day, plus ran my own sessions so I got seat time for about 120 laps. Needed every one of them to figure out a line that works through the 15 turns

Anyways, tons of fun as most track days are!
Old 5/11/15, 05:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
We need some more tracks out here. We've got some in Texas, and supposedly one is being built around Hearne/BCS, but it would be nice if someone would take advantage of the sheer volume of unused space in central and West Texas to put down a good track or three.

Edit: Looks like a lot of fun, dmichaels!
Old 5/12/15, 01:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Wow. Technical track indeed but the complete lack of runoff areas almost everywhere would give me pause before going wheel-to-wheel ever there. For a track day like you did, it's alright but wow, barriers look like they're 10-15' from the edge of the track all the way around.

Great to see new tracks being built somewhere in this country, with the news this week that Miller Motorsports Park in Utah is shutting down after <10 years in operation and (closer to home) the news that Heartland Park Topeka is done for too. HPT has been around for decades and has a road course, drag strip, dirt track and a huge autocross area - huge bummer for those of us in this area.
Old 5/12/15, 07:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Wow. Technical track indeed but the complete lack of runoff areas almost everywhere would give me pause before going wheel-to-wheel ever there. For a track day like you did, it's alright but wow, barriers look like they're 10-15' from the edge of the track all the way around.

Great to see new tracks being built somewhere in this country, with the news this week that Miller Motorsports Park in Utah is shutting down after <10 years in operation and (closer to home) the news that Heartland Park Topeka is done for too. HPT has been around for decades and has a road course, drag strip, dirt track and a huge autocross area - huge bummer for those of us in this area.
Yes, very little runout... and the huge dropoffs were a bit intimidating. But very very fun!

We're luck here in the northeast - Thompson opened last year, Palmer just opened last week, and Club Motorsports in Tamworth, NH is scheduled to open by next year! Now if only Monticello would run a couple events....
Old 5/12/15, 10:46 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Great job, love the video, cool track. Keep up the good work! Glad the brake set-up worked well for you. I have my next track day this Sunday, I have a new rear brake set-up, and I will report afterwards.
Old 5/13/15, 06:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Great job, love the video, cool track. Keep up the good work! Glad the brake set-up worked well for you. I have my next track day this Sunday, I have a new rear brake set-up, and I will report afterwards.
What's the new setup? I'm changing a few things as well... 13.8" rear rotors arrive later today and I have the relocation brackets as well.

The new pads I'm running feel awesome on the street as well, as I took the car to work today

Hope your event goes well!!
Old 5/13/15, 06:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
this is f**king awesome man!! I love these videos. Btw, how does Larry's LapTimer know what gear you are in and RPM?
Old 5/13/15, 06:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
oh, I looked it up. It has OBDII integration. What phone do you use for this btw?
Old 5/13/15, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
That was my thought too. You have just enough room to pull over, but not to exit the track at an angle. I would certainly be backing off to 85% in my car. Now if this was a training event and they provided cars... different story. I did the Acura high performance driving school at Mid-Ohio, and I never once worried about the car. Pedal to the floor
Old 5/13/15, 11:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
oh, I looked it up. It has OBDII integration. What phone do you use for this btw?
Yup OBDII integration. Very cool

Phone is just my iPhone 4S. Expect to get a iPhone 6 this weekend though! Hopefully Harry's multicam works well next time out
Old 5/13/15, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
That was my thought too. You have just enough room to pull over, but not to exit the track at an angle. I would certainly be backing off to 85% in my car. Now if this was a training event and they provided cars... different story. I did the Acura high performance driving school at Mid-Ohio, and I never once worried about the car. Pedal to the floor
Nice in regards to the Acura school - no concern if it's covered by insurance!

The track looks more scary in video than in person. I wouldn't race there but I'll push the car hard. Most of the turns are relatively low speed. The esses at Watkins or the downhill at limerock are worse in my opinion
Old 5/13/15, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the videos man! I will PM you for some advice if you dont mind. I am starting with the AZ solo ( autocross ) and go from there. I would love to do the track days!
Old 5/13/15, 02:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GBStang13
Love the videos man! I will PM you for some advice if you dont mind. I am starting with the AZ solo ( autocross ) and go from there. I would love to do the track days!
I don't mind at all! Ask away. I've got a little experience tracking the mustang.

Auto-x is fun - if you like it , you will love going to a road course. It's more expensive and taxing on the car but it's worth it!!!