2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Over 1,000 miles on the 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/10, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Genot
If you're old enough to remember the tootsie roll pop commercials with the owl... how many licks does it take to get to the center?.
Oh come on I am only 20, although after my car accident I've feeling like one. Used to handle 5-8 battery installations one after another but now it's one and my back is aching.
Old 5/31/10, 07:59 PM

WOW! Didn't know they ran those commercials so long! My appologies!
Old 5/31/10, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PodLite
I'm not sure if many of you guys care much about this, but Genot, does fuel economy increase as the car gets more miles on it? This is my first new car, and so far my highway mpg's have been less than the city mpg rating. Just wondering if the numbers actually increase once the car is broken-in.
Definitely. I don't know whether it takes 5, 10, or 15 thousand miles before you will be able to achieve maximum fuel economy, but it will get better when the engine is well past what is considered the normal break-in period.
Old 6/1/10, 07:38 AM
V6 Member

Thanks Genot and Randy. I may be a minority on this forum, but fuel economy was one of the reasons that the 2011 Mustang appealed to me.
Old 6/1/10, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PodLite
Thanks Genot and Randy. I may be a minority on this forum, but fuel economy was one of the reasons that the 2011 Mustang appealed to me.
I'm with you. I want a fast, fun to drive car, but I don't want a gas guzzler. If the global economy picks up steam we could see $4/gallon gas again. Then throw in some anti-global warming energy taxes, and it's possible we could see $5/gallon in a few years. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying it's a possibility. And for me, my Mustang will not just be a weekend toy. It will be my daily driver except in winter, so fuel economy is a factor.
Old 6/1/10, 10:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
I'm with you. I want a fast, fun to drive car, but I don't want a gas guzzler. If the global economy picks up steam we could see $4/gallon gas again. Then throw in some anti-global warming energy taxes, and it's possible we could see $5/gallon in a few years. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying it's a possibility. And for me, my Mustang will not just be a weekend toy. It will be my daily driver except in winter, so fuel economy is a factor.
+1.
Old 6/1/10, 11:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
+1.
I agree with you guys, I was blown away that a 400 Hp car was able to achieve 26 Mpg possibly more. After driving the 2011 with 3.31's, it is certainly the car to get if you want fuel economy on the highway. The RPM's are very low and it just cruises. Sorry if I didn't put 1000 miles on the car to attest to impervious mileage testing but it wasn't too hard to figure out. The car felt fun enough, through 5th so I was pretty impressed. I'd be happy with any gear. I think the 3.73's would be good for passing in 6th with no downshift.

This said from my "Test Drive" take it how you want.
Old 6/1/10, 11:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fuel economy has to improve I would think. I can get 26.5 MPG extended on flat highway at 65 MPH in my car (5 speed with 4:10's). I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic but still typically average 21 MPG + on a tank of fuel. It's pretty rare that I drop the hammer on this car, so maybe the adaptive computer has compensated over time?
Old 6/1/10, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Gas is "projected" to be in the $7 range in five years. I forgot the source, but just mentioning it.
Old 6/1/10, 12:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ireallycare
Gas is "projected" to be in the $7 range in five years. I forgot the source, but just mentioning it.
Can you imagine what that would do to RV and camper sales? I bet numerous campgrounds would close down. And if gasoline costs that much you can bet jet fuel would also go way up. Hard times for many industries, if that prediction comes true.