2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Out of winter hybernation

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/14, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both "toys" are still hibernating. Too much salt and rocks on the road. It sure is beautiful out though! Next week weatherman is talking a possibility of 7 inches of snow on Monday.

Sure hope he is wrong and all we get is rain...... Clean those roads off!!!

I could care less if I seen the sun for weeks. As long as it rains everyday, that would be fine with me.
Old 4/11/14, 07:03 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mind you I don't scoff at anyone that drives theirs during the winter.
It's your car to drive. If I can get away with not driving it, I will. But that's just me.

It's funny taking it out after the winter, it feels like a new car.
Old 4/11/14, 09:23 PM
V6 Member

Mine's been out to get my FR suspension kit put on but not much else up until now and it's raining now. The salt and cinders are off the roads (not the potholes though) and like the robins returning, I'm starting to see a lot of Mustangs on the roads so mine will probably get out this weekend for some play time.

Scott
Old 4/11/14, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my daily driver:

…because this is my summer toy:

Yeah, it makes no sense to have one muscle car preserved as a summer toy and the other as a year-round daily driver, but I tried the sensible daily driver thing and got horribly bored and figured life's too short, and I'm doing my part to preserve one, so why not have something fun for everyday?

The big difference is that the Camaro I've owned for 15 years and am keeping for life (first car), while the Mustang will be a 5 year car. The way I see it, if you are buying a new car to keep for life/very very long, then sure, store it. But if you are just going to trade it off in 3-5 years, why bother storing it?
Old 4/11/14, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Mind you I don't scoff at anyone that drives theirs during the winter.
It's your car to drive. If I can get away with not driving it, I will. But that's just me.

It's funny taking it out after the winter, it feels like a new car.
Yes! It does. It's kinda like getting a new car every spring
Old 4/12/14, 12:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby Mama
Both "toys" are still hibernating. Too much salt and rocks on the road. It sure is beautiful out though! Next week weatherman is talking a possibility of 7 inches of snow on Monday.

Sure hope he is wrong and all we get is rain...... Clean those roads off!!!

I could care less if I seen the sun for weeks. As long as it rains everyday, that would be fine with me.
It's suppose to be 70 here tomorrow.

But it did rain a couple times this year. It was terrible! My car got wet!

Old 4/12/14, 12:22 AM

If you live where they salt the road, you can get salt on your ride in July. Rain will not wash all the salt away. Do what you want, Mustangs are meant to be driven. I believe even the great Carroll Shelby once said something about that.
Old 4/12/14, 01:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by trizzot
If you live where they salt the road, you can get salt on your ride in July. Rain will not wash all the salt away. Do what you want, Mustangs are meant to be driven. I believe even the great Carroll Shelby once said something about that.
Obvious you do not live were they salt the roads in the winter. It's called "dilution is the solution to pollution." I never find any salt on my summer vehicles. Try driving a car that has summer compound slicks in a foot of snow.......Bright idea.......

I bet the great Carroll Shelby would agree with me on this one.

Here is a simple chemistry lesson for you.

Calcium chloride
Formula: CaCl2
Molar mass: 110.98 g/mol
Melting point: 1,422°F (772°C)
Density: 2.15 g/cm³
Soluble in: Water (Hello!), Acetic acid, Acetone
Drug classes: Calcium, Phosphate binder
Other drugs in same class: Calcium, Calcium carbonate.
Calcium Chloride Chemical Profile, The Innovation Group, www.the-innovation-group.com, printed 9 September 2005.

Simple chemistry is on my side here buddy.

And if you still do not understand, here is a nice blog on the effects that calcium chloride on car sheet metal that breaks it down for the intellectually deficient psyche. http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-cars-to-rust/

Do a little research before you open your mouth troller. Come talk to me when you have more than 4 posts........Go find something else better to do.
Old 4/12/14, 02:54 AM

Wow, with the exception of my military service, I am born and raised in North East Ohio. Thanks for calling me a troller, that's a first! I have seen lots of snow. I have also had cars I only drove in the summer and still got rust. I never mentioned anything about about summer tires for that fact. I' sorry you do not agree, I didn't mean to offend you. And for my number of posts, I' a troll because I read more than I post? I'm ok with that. You can dilute the salt all you want, but its still going to be there. Thanks for your reply, I'm always in the need of a good laugh.
Old 4/12/14, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, with the exception of my military service, I am born and raised in North East Ohio. Thanks for calling me a troller, that's a first! I have seen lots of snow. I have also had cars I only drove in the summer and still got rust. I never mentioned anything about about summer tires for that fact. I' sorry you do not agree, I didn't mean to offend you. And for my number of posts, I' a troll because I read more than I post? I'm ok with that. You can dilute the salt all you want, but its still going to be there. Thanks for your reply, I'm always in the need of a good laugh.
Well come on. Think before you post. I'm glad I could amuse you with simple scientific facts. And yes, oxidation can still occur and cause rust. It all depends on conditions in which the vehicle is stored also. There are many factors which can cause rust. I choose to not drive my car in the winter for many good reasons besides this topic. So next time you have a negative comment to say, maybe keep it to yourself. Good day and thank you for your service.
Old 4/12/14, 07:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
With consideration to weather and personal preferences, I still say drive your car as much as you can!

Otherwise you'll be dead one day and some other **** will be driving it.

Time waits for no man. (Or woman)

Last edited by Boomer; 4/13/14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 4/12/14, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

My Stang will be a summer DD. My current year rounder is a Subaru Legacy SpecB... Turbo, 6-speed, bilsteins, exhaust and tune... But its made for Canadian winters. Probably too nice for winter beater duty, but with my Mustang on the way... I will likely sell the Legacy at some point for a more practical car like a Forester or something (I've been a Subaru guy forever and shocked every one of my friends when I ordered the Mustang) but I still love it too much. Thinking that will change with a V8 under foot.
Old 4/12/14, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Everyone has their own outlook, and I can respect that. I've seen what 9 Michigan winters did to my other car (aka my "winter" car) and I'm going to do everything I can to prevent that from happening to the Mustang. Plus one of the jobs of the Mustang is track duty, so rust is certainly not my friend. I understand it's not good to let the car sit for a long time, but I'll take sitting in a garage, dry and out of the elements, over the alternative any year. But I'm planning on holding on to my car though. If you're planning on keeping the Mustang for only a few years, I totally see the flip side of the coin too.
Old 4/12/14, 10:27 PM

Ive been lots of places and seen lots of things. Lots I wished I had never seen. I wasnt trying to be negative or insult anyone. Not to tell stories, but Thanks to uncle sam I have learned life is to short to not drive my car. Im going to enjoy it.
I served proudly so people like Shelby Mama can be free have her opinions. I have no problem being labeled from someone who has never walked a day in my shoes.
I'm going to drive my car. I hope you all enjoy yours too.
Old 4/13/14, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

It's funny how everyone only focuses on the salt, especially the ones that have never dealt with a true winter (Minnesota). To me, it's the huge amounts of gravel they dump all over the roads. If you are driving anywhere near another car yours just gets literally sand blasted, rock chips galore. My winter car (jeep) the front is horribly pitted up after just 2 winters. And I'm one of those that always stays WAY behind the car in front of me. There is just no way to avoid it.

THAT is what I refuse to let happen to my car.

Last edited by Tron84; 4/13/14 at 07:59 AM.
Old 4/13/14, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tron84
It's funny how everyone only focuses on the salt, especially the ones that have never dealt with a true winter (Minnesota). To me, it's the huge amounts of gravel they dump all over the roads. If you are driving anywhere near another car yours just gets literally sand blasted, rock chips galore. My winter car (jeep) the front is horribly pitted up after just 2 winters. And I'm one of those that always stays WAY behind the car in front of me. There is just no way to avoid it.

THAT is what I refuse to let happen to my car.
I'm north of you, and I agree. They also don't see the toll that a deep cold start takes, particularly when you fire it up and drive away with a car that well below 0F, which we had often this winter. That's why up here we have winter beaters if we own a nice performance car.
Old 4/13/14, 10:10 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Tron84
It's funny how everyone only focuses on the salt, especially the ones that have never dealt with a true winter (Minnesota). To me, it's the huge amounts of gravel they dump all over the roads. If you are driving anywhere near another car yours just gets literally sand blasted, rock chips galore. My winter car (jeep) the front is horribly pitted up after just 2 winters. And I'm one of those that always stays WAY behind the car in front of me. There is just no way to avoid it. THAT is what I refuse to let happen to my car.
This is reason number 10 or so for me. But yes people who claim to want to or have to, drive their mustangs "because it's meant to be driven... Yadayadayada".... Ok, go ahead... Your car, do it. Meant to be driven and looks like crap due to rock chips sand chips, their choice. Couple to that, a 400+hp car rwd on snow, plus risk other dumb drivers running into you, plus the detriments of what salt and sand do to your car (I know because I detail professionally...and winter cars get beat to death)... Some folks just don't understand... But that's ok, they can drive their lambos on snow roads for all I care. Mine will continue to get driven on only "God's perfect days". Amen to that.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/13/14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 4/13/14, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
This is becoming as tired a topic as when to change the oil and what exhaust is the best. If I could afford a 3rd car, I'd park the Mustang all winter. But I can't, so the Mustang is the DD and I bolt the Blizzaks on every winter and enjoy it as much as possible through the cold months. I'm guessing a lot of the daily driver people are in that same boat.
Old 4/13/14, 11:10 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ive been lots of places and seen lots of things. Lots I wished I had never seen. I wasnt trying to be negative or insult anyone. Not to tell stories, but Thanks to uncle sam I have learned life is to short to not drive my car. Im going to enjoy it.
I served proudly so people like Shelby Mama can be free have her opinions. I have no problem being labeled from someone who has never walked a day in my shoes.
I'm going to drive my car. I hope you all enjoy yours too.

This is getting a little heavy a discussion for 'should I drive my car in the winter or not'.

Lets get back on topic, not judge people based on any life's choices they may make. This goes for all parties.
Old 4/13/14, 11:14 AM
V6 Member

There was a time I could only afford a daily driver and I drove my mustangs in the Winter. In storms it was a nerve racking experience even with snow tires. Fortuently , that isn't the case anymore and i have a Ecoboost F150 for winter and rainy days. Even in PA, the crap they put on the roads in the winter eats away at the paint. I've had to repaint the tube steep mounts twice in 3 years because they were completely sand blasted to the metal and the last time I painted it with polyurethane bed liner and they were still stripped. For some our Mustangs are just cars and that's fine but if you can keep something like new for a longer time, why not.

Scott

Quick Reply: Out of winter hybernation