Search this Thread

Old 10/26/10, 04:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our 5.0L in the F150

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ2Le_agkys

Thaught i'd share.

More in depth article from F-150 forums:

The 5.0-liter V8 in the 2011 F-150 offers many class bests compared with competitors’ entry-level V8s, including:
  • Best-in-class 360 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 380 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,250 rpm
  • Class-leading fuel economy
  • Best-in-class 9,800 pounds maximum trailer tow
  • New strengthened block and new cylinder head optimized for performance and enhanced cooling
  • Unique intake camshafts, combined with Ti-VCT, composite intake manifold and optimized compression ratio for improved low-speed torque and towing capability
  • Forged-steel crank and all-new oil cooler enhance durability
  • Piston-cooling jets, which squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions
  • E85 flex fuel capability
  • Built at Essex Engine Plant; Windsor, Ontario
While this 5.0-liter V8 engine is similar to the one powering the 2011 Mustang GT, it has several important differences to optimize it for the harsh duty cycle truck customers demand. First, the camshafts were tuned to improve low-speed torque, which is key to truck customers. Also, the 10.5:1 compression ratio was optimized to reduce knock tendency at lower engine speeds while towing.
The hardware added to the 5.0 specifically for F-150 includes: an additional oil cooler, which helps extend the life of the oil to 10,000-mile intervals; foam covers for the fuel injectors to reduce NVH; and cast exhaust manifolds for improved durability. The new aluminum block is 70 pounds lighter than the 5.4-liter V8, which aids fuel economy and improves handling. The engine’s forged-steel crankshaft also ensures durability.
“This engine uses proven technology to deliver a great combination of low-speed torque and fuel economy with the durability F-150 customers demand,” said Mike Harrison, V8 engine programs manager.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 10/26/10 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10/26/10, 05:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, very close to our motor. Still cool to see it there.
Old 10/26/10, 05:15 PM
GT Member

You know what continuously frustrates me? Idiots in the comment section of pretty much any article about a pickup truck *****ing that people drive them instead of a Prius. Because people that need to tow more than say, a black turtleneck, a foam latte and an overwhelming sense of self righteous, fanatical fascism couldn't possibly need anything larger than a dishwasher on wheels for basic transportation. Clearly. Hell, I read some idiot on Autoblog today suggest that unless you find yourself off-road, or need to tow anything over 3500 lbs, that the only vehicle you should be driving is a Prius.

Ford could make a truck that hauled 20,000 lbs while running on unicorn farts and the hopes and dreams of children the world over, and these eco-fascists would still ***** and moan because it's not as environmentally friendly as walking.

I know it's a generational thing, for the most part. Gotta indoctrinate them while they're young and impressionable. Joseph Goebbels would be proud.
Old 10/26/10, 05:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by i3arracuda
I know it's a generational thing, for the most part. Gotta indoctrinate them while they're young and impressionable. Joseph Goebbels would be proud.
True. But its also a city slicker/suburbia thing. They live on concrete and asphalt, are indoors most of their life, and have no clue about the conditions in the outlying areas and rural America.

Wide open spaces to them means a doorway. LOL

Nice engine!

Last edited by cdynaco; 10/26/10 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10/26/10, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Sweet, this will only strengthen the after-market for the new 5.0.
Old 10/26/10, 06:26 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FivePointO
Sweet, this will only strengthen the after-market for the new 5.0.
Good point. Tunes should be out for the F-150's 5.0 in no time.
Old 10/26/10, 06:31 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Good point. Tunes should be out for the F-150's 5.0 in no time.
Where would I find them? iTunes?
Old 10/26/10, 06:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Where would I find them? iTunes?
Gary, I'd be willing to bet you've gotten yourself into a lot of trouble with the wife with smart **** remarks like that lol

Last edited by stangfoeva; 10/26/10 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10/26/10, 06:37 PM
Post *****

I've had my *** kicked more times than a one-legged man in an *** kicking contest...
Old 10/26/10, 06:45 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I've had my *** kicked more times than a one-legged man in an *** kicking contest...
^^^hahaha

And spelling fail in my post. My apologies.

/continue thread
Old 10/26/10, 09:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, on the other hand, we can all thank the F150 that we got our motor. Had this not come along, we might not have the brute that we do right now. The volume of this motor makes the R&D costs justifiable for many.

I'd really like to see the engine bay of the truck, and if they do any badging for it.
Old 10/26/10, 09:56 PM
Post *****

Of course the old 5.0 had it embossed on teh upper intake. The 5.8 did too.

I've got a 6.2L Raptor and they are embossing the 6.2L on the plastic plenum I guess is what its called. It's the box shaped area directly above the intake. I'd bet $1 they do the same with the 5.0.
Old 10/27/10, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Well, on the other hand, we can all thank the F150 that we got our motor. Had this not come along, we might not have the brute that we do right now. The volume of this motor makes the R&D costs justifiable for many.

I'd really like to see the engine bay of the truck, and if they do any badging for it.
This is the same exact reason we are also getting a great 3.7L V6 for the entry level engine in the Mustang. Up until now, there was no RWD configuration of the 3.5/3.7L V6. The volumes of the F150 plus the Mustang is what made that powertrain possible. Otherwise we'd all still be *****ing about the 4.0L as the base engine.
Old 10/27/10, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im planning on getting a f-150 or a f-250 in a few years- if i go with a f-150 how cool it would be to have 2- 5.0 engines in the driveway.

the 2011 lineup of engines are sweeeeeeeet!!!!
Old 10/27/10, 09:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You know what [grinds my gears]? Idiots ...Hell, I read some idiot on Autoblog today suggest that unless you find yourself off-road, or need to tow anything over 3500 lbs, that the only vehicle you should be driving is a Prius.

... while running on unicorn farts and the hopes and dreams of children the world over...
This is what I tell people my Civic runs off of! No joke.

Sorry for chopping up your quote but I thought I made it even better.
Old 10/27/10, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Heh, that's right, just put all your childhood hopes and dreams into the gas tank and watch it all burn until nothing is left but a mature, responsible adult.
Old 10/27/10, 05:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
You know what continuously frustrates me........
Nominated for best post of 2010, LOL.....
Old 10/28/10, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

According to Michael Moore, rural people shouldn't need vehicles at all. We just need more bus stops out in the country.
Old 10/29/10, 04:37 AM
V6 Member

You know what continuously frustrates me? Idiots in the comment section of pretty much any article about a pickup truck *****ing that people drive them instead of a Prius. Because people that need to tow more than say, a black turtleneck, a foam latte and an overwhelming sense of self righteous, fanatical fascism couldn't possibly need anything larger than a dishwasher on wheels for basic transportation. Clearly. Hell, I read some idiot on Autoblog today suggest that unless you find yourself off-road, or need to tow anything over 3500 lbs, that the only vehicle you should be driving is a Prius.

Ford could make a truck that hauled 20,000 lbs while running on unicorn farts and the hopes and dreams of children the world over, and these eco-fascists would still ***** and moan because it's not as environmentally friendly as walking.

Hey, this suggestion that Prius owners are Latte sipping, self righteous, eco-fascists is about as true as all Pickup truck owners being country bumpkin hicks with male ego issues. True, there may be some Prius owners like that but they are in the minority.

We own a Prius, a 5.0 and an old Ford Pickup. The Prius is actually a very nice car with some great features. The only downside is that it is not made in the US.
Old 10/29/10, 06:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I

Calm down, Francis.
Life is too short to get your panties in a bunch over other the opinions of other people.

FWIW, I wear turtlenecks, sip lattes...and love muscle cars. The world is not black and white.

Last edited by MRGTX; 10/29/10 at 06:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Our 5.0L in the F150