2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Order Brembo Package or No?

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/11, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good choice! Hope u enjoy them.

I had brembo brakes on a cobalt SS I had before I ordered my 2012. Will never again (if I can help it) get a car without brembo brakes or some sort of upgraded brakes. I don't know how the roads are around all of u, but I am convinced that the brembo brakes on my cobalt saved me from at least one accident with a dear and may have saved a kids life who decided to ride their bike across the road as I was driving by. Even if u stop 10 feet less when slamming on ur brakes going 60, sometimes that 10 ft could be the difference between having a perfect car or a new dear head to add to the wall.

Track or no track, you can't predict when you'll need to mash the brake pedal.

And yes, if I could order it from the factory, I would get a parachute on the back......hey, u never know.
Old 3/9/11, 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Again, the myth about those parts being different is just that. A myth.
Why does the Ford dealer show different replacement part numbers?

Originally Posted by Ford Parts
GT coupe front is strut BR3Z-18124-B. (V6 with performance pack Job 2 uses the same strut). GT coupe front "with performance brakes" is strut BR3Z-18124.

Spings are different with the brake kit. There are also seven types of rear springs and six types of rear shocks.

There are only three different front sway bars and they all use the same lower control arms/bushings and sway bar end links/bushings.

There are three rear sway bars, each with it's own matching end links and bushings.
Why would Automobile magazine state this?
Originally Posted by Automobile magazine
"Ford uses five different steering calibrations for the Mustang, depending on whether the car is a coupe or a convertible, V-6 or V8, or a GT with the Brembo brake package."
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
It's not just the $1700 upfront cost that you should consider, it's the costs going forward. Tires, pads, snow tire packages, etc. All of which are dramatically pricier with the BP cars.
A V-8 car is going to be more costly than a V-6 car. Why not just get the V-6 and save more money?

Last edited by 95cobraR; 3/9/11 at 08:43 AM.
Old 3/9/11, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Related question. I have a 2010 GT and found a guy who has a super snake and is selling his take off parts, long story short I can get all 4 brakes for 1000 bucks. 100 miles on the car when they were taken off. Comments? Thanks.
Old 3/10/11, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
All the hype over the lack of spare is easily fixed. The rear caliper is same size as any other Mustang; put a normal spare in the trunk; if a front tire blows out then yeah, you'll have to take a rear tire off, put the spare on the rear, and put the normal rim on the front. You don't even need a fancy rim to fit over the Brembo caliper, as long as it clears the rear caliper and its O/S diameter is the same.

I was waiting for someone to say this. This is the most logical solution to the no spare tire issue. Sure you can buy a bigger oem rim but that can get pricey. Either way though, you will still need to get a jack to haul around in the trunk also. I would be willing to bet that you could find a factory jack on ebay or craiglist to make this a total factory look.

Of course you could always go the route of a Z06 and put a small air compressor in the back and some high grade stop leak in the trunk for a "quick fix." That's what they come with from the factory.
Old 3/10/11, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Of course you could always go the route of a Z06 and put a small air compressor in the back and some high grade stop leak in the trunk for a "quick fix." That's what they come with from the factory.

Don't the Brembo cars already have that ?

Last edited by TheReaper; 3/10/11 at 08:47 PM.
Old 3/10/11, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheReaper

Don't the Brembo cars already have that ?

I dont know if they do. I haven't seen anyone say otherwise, although I haven't researched it much.
Old 3/10/11, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

yup went and looked at mine and it has the lil comp and can of slime to fix a flat.. or as they like to say "tire mobility kit"
Old 3/11/11, 09:44 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't understand all of the disdain of the no-spare. I've been driving since 1978 and not since 1983 have I been stuck on the side of the road changing a tire that suddenly failed. Due to a child-visitation issue, I was driving for 44,000 to 50,000 miles per year for about an 8-year-stretch, so I know all about rackin' up the highway miles. Most tire repairs I've been able to effect from my own driveway.

- First, watch where you are going (easier said than done, I know). Road hazards are usually what destroys tires instantly.
- Second, tires today are much better constructed than in the olden days of early-'80's and prior.
- Third, be aware of changing handling characteristics so that you'll know if you have a leaker. Wait a minute - I forgot - we have the TPMS! If you get a warning, start making your way off the highway to a service area, then use the "mobility kit" to fix things until you can get a real repair/replacement later.

I know there are many scenarios where you could be stranded in a bad place, but in my opinion an honest probabilistic risk assessment would show it to be a very rare case, especially with a "mobility kit" to slow down or repair air leakage.

The lack of or presence of a spare wouldn't factor into my decision whatsoever (note however that I ended up with a car - the 2011 GT vert w/optional 19's - that indeed has a spare, on a MADE IN CHINA 18" rim).
Old 3/12/11, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by c0achmke
Related question. I have a 2010 GT and found a guy who has a super snake and is selling his take off parts, long story short I can get all 4 brakes for 1000 bucks. 100 miles on the car when they were taken off. Comments? Thanks.
I'd buy them in a heartbeat for $1000.

Originally Posted by jason07
This is the most logical solution to the no spare tire issue.
I kept the factory "slimmy" stuff. I also bought a S197 spare with jack and lug wrench from a junkyard for $50.

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I know there are many scenarios where you could be stranded in a bad place, but in my opinion an honest probabilistic risk assessment would show it to be a very rare case, especially with a "mobility kit" to slow down or repair air leakage.
Your "risk assessment" is of little help if you are stuck on the side of the road with a cut in the tire at midnight and 100 miles from home.

I just feel better knowing I have a spare if I need it.
Old 3/12/11, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Main reason that decided against the brembos, not going to get a second set of rims and tires for only two months on the year. Also, there is little differance in the rotor diameter.