2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Order Brembo Package or No?

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/11, 06:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The line about "never seeing the benefits of the bigger brakes unless you track the car" really makes me laugh though. So us idiots who bought 5.0s over the V6 models are fools for paying more unless you're going to the drag strip all the time, right?

We pay a lot of money for "potential." Most of us will never be able to run a 12.7 1/4 mile but knowing the car can do it makes us feel warm and fuzzy. Knowing that my brakes are closer to being up to the job of road course duty makes me feel pretty good too.

Regardless, I drove the cars back to back. I loved the regular package, broke out into a sweat over the Brembo package car. Maybe 90% of the difference is related to the tires but they felt quite different.

This is a classic case of people defending their own decisions and fighting for the club they joined.

This always happens in internet forums and I'm no exception!
Old 3/8/11, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even with any arguing, I'm still on the fence about it and would like to make my final decision today. I ordered on Saturday, but I'd like to give any changes ASAP. I ordered w/o the Brembo basically because it will be a daily driver and I am nervous about no spare.
Old 3/8/11, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wonger
Even with any arguing, I'm still on the fence about it and would like to make my final decision today. I ordered on Saturday, but I'd like to give any changes ASAP. I ordered w/o the Brembo basically because it will be a daily driver and I am nervous about no spare.
Well, you can't go wrong either way. It's a good value by my estimation and it adds something special to the car but it's still a hell of a nice machine even with zero extra cost options.

If you're financing for 5 years, figure that the package will cost you about $30/month give or take depending on your interest rate.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!
Old 3/8/11, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I ordered w/o the Brembo basically because it will be a daily driver and I am nervous about no spare.
I was nervous about this too. I bought a used 07-09 18" GT500 wheel off ebay and a used 255/45/18 tire from http://www.bestusedtires.com/. Then I bought a jack and lug wrench off Amazon. I believe I spent under $200 for everything, and now have piece of mind. Oh, and it fits into the spare tire well, just sticks up about 2". Once you lay your trunk mat over it, you'll barely notice.
Old 3/8/11, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by monkeystash
I was nervous about this too. I bought a used 07-09 18" GT500 wheel off ebay and a used 255/45/18 tire from http://www.bestusedtires.com/. Then I bought a jack and lug wrench off Amazon. I believe I spent under $200 for everything, and now have piece of mind. Oh, and it fits into the spare tire well, just sticks up about 2". Once you lay your trunk mat over it, you'll barely notice.

Great. So in order to squeeze the MAX performance out of your car, you added 100lbs or so of weight to the trunk to make it live-able. Just seems silly.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 3/8/11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 3/8/11, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SVTJayC

Great. So in order to squeeze the MAX performance out of your car, you added 100lbs or so of weight to the trunk to make it live-able. Just seems silly.
In your opinion it does. WE GET IT Jay. You don't like the Brembo package. No need to shoot everyone down that decided they wanted it.

To the OP: I ordered it. I may track the car a few times a year, but mainly, I liked the wheels and tires, and IMO better brakes can never be a bad thing.

Yeah the STOCK Brembo tire may be $400 a piece, but there are plenty of cheaper tires that fit the Brembo wheels with the same performance as the stock pirellis. You don't always have to replace them with the OE tire.

Last edited by LEwis26; 3/8/11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 3/8/11, 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Did Brembo wrong you in some way? The guy said in a post earlier he liked the rims, tires, and having better breaks is always good. Never said he was trying to squeeze the best performance out of the car. As for never seeing break fade unless on the track, I'm guessing you've never done much mountain driving. Break fade is a ***** on some of the steep grades you can run into.
Old 3/8/11, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

The Brembo package was a primary concern for me when making my purchase - no Brembo, no Mustang.
Old 3/8/11, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe so, but I smile every time I see or drive my car, and have the piece of mind of a spare. Obviously my tastes and priorities aren't yours...and I'm cool with that.
Old 3/8/11, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks everybody for the help. I think if I add a spare like monkey did, that'll give me that piece of mind I was worried about. Would you mind sending me a pic sometime or posting one of the spare? I've still got to be able to get my golf clubs in there. They are pretty much in the car for 6 months straight, so I'm not really worried about the extra 25 lbs over the other spare.
Old 3/8/11, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe so, but I smile every time I see or drive my car, and have the piece of mind of a spare. Obviously my tastes and priorities aren't yours...and I'm cool with that.
I drive through the loneliest sections of the country sometimes, and would never be without a spare. I will not want to wait for a towtruck 200 miles from nowhere, unless I just literally did not have any choice. Patch kits do not work on a lot of tire issues, and anyone who has had to wait by the side of the road in 115 degree heat will liekly also not want to be without a spare. If I would have wanted the Brembos, there is no way that I would ever drive it even 2 feet out of town without a spare.

I personally did not go with the brembos though. It raises tire prices and can limit the types of rim and tire combos that are. available for your car. Standard brakes are fine right now for me.
Old 3/8/11, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

The Brembo package is an awesome value but, like you, I do not feel comfortable without a spare. The tire inflation kit will not fix a blowout. That is why I still have stock size brakes on mine. I have been considering the spare tire option like Monkey mentioned and may do it someday.

Bottom line is you will be paying for this car for a long time and there are options out there for a spare. If you think for even a minute you will regret not getting the Brembo package then get it. It would cost you much more to add this later.
Old 3/8/11, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks everybody for the help. I think if I add a spare like monkey did, that'll give me that piece of mind I was worried about. Would you mind sending me a pic sometime or posting one of the spare? I've still got to be able to get my golf clubs in there. They are pretty much in the car for 6 months straight, so I'm not really worried about the extra 25 lbs over the other spare.
No problem, here you go. It raises the center of the trunk about 2 inches, barely noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails Order Brembo Package or No?-img_6130.jpg   Order Brembo Package or No?-img_6133.jpg  
Old 3/8/11, 05:59 PM
V6 Member

I have had my 5.0 since last June and have not experienced any real instance where i went "man i wish i had bigger brakes."
The rims are pretty sweet though.
Old 3/8/11, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

No problem, here you go. It raises the center of the trunk about 2 inches, barely noticeable.
I've seen pictures of a GT500 spare used before but it involved cutting the carpet/fiberboard around the spare. Those pictures made it look like it stuck up a lot higher. Did you have to modify anything else to make the tire fit? Is it at full PSI?

This appears to be an even more viable option now!
Old 3/8/11, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ksguy73
I've seen pictures of a GT500 spare used before but it involved cutting the carpet/fiberboard around the spare. Those pictures made it look like it stuck up a lot higher. Did you have to modify anything else to make the tire fit? Is it at full PSI?

This appears to be an even more viable option now!
I didn't cut anything, just plopped it in. The jack and lug wrench are wrapped in a towel beneath it. It's a tight fit, and it's full of air, 32psi worth. If I deflated the tire, I might be able to push it down another inch.
Old 3/8/11, 06:07 PM
Banned

All the hype over the lack of spare is easily fixed. The rear caliper is same size as any other Mustang; put a normal spare in the trunk; if a front tire blows out then yeah, you'll have to take a rear tire off, put the spare on the rear, and put the normal rim on the front. You don't even need a fancy rim to fit over the Brembo caliper, as long as it clears the rear caliper and its O/S diameter is the same.
Old 3/8/11, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't cut anything, just plopped it in. The jack and lug wrench are wrapped in a towel beneath it. It's a tight fit, and it's full of air, 32psi worth. If I deflated the tire, I might be able to push it down another inch.
Awesome, thanks!

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
All the hype over the lack of spare is easily fixed. The rear caliper is same size as any other Mustang; put a normal spare in the trunk; if a front tire blows out then yeah, you'll have to take a rear tire off, put the spare on the rear, and put the normal rim on the front. You don't even need a fancy rim to fit over the Brembo caliper, as long as it clears the rear caliper and its O/S diameter is the same.
Except for those of us with staggered 10" on the back. Love the look but it definitely limits you in some ways.
Old 3/8/11, 06:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I LOVE the rims w/Brembo package...It's only about $600 more then getting the 19's upgrade so it was a no brainer for me!
Old 3/8/11, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Using the regular spare tire and jack& wrench off the std. GT is a great idea, and I literally was just logging back on to see if they were the same and if it would fit. That's it. Done deal. I'm adding them on. Now to start saving for wheels and tires for winter...

Quick Reply: Order Brembo Package or No?