Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ok, so I get to measure it close up, what do you want to see?

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/08, 09:58 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, so I get to measure it close up, what do you want to see?

We've been invited to a measuring session soon after the car is shown at the LA show, but well in advance of when it will be released to the public, so we should be able to get started on at least design ideas to move forward, as well as getting the proper CAD files direct from Ford to engineer some perfect-fitting parts in time for the new car's release. (Yes, can we get a WooHoo after busting butt for three years on this now the hard way!)

So...

My question is this: We know we're going to be making a bunch of products for the 2010 car, and a lot of them will be "updates" to our existing product line. But with that said, we're always looking for ideas from our customers (you guys & girls) to improve the breed. I know it's hard with the camo shots to start picking out things you want to do / change, but as they come to you either now or in the near future as more images become available, here's a perfect place to recommend them to us for production - who knows, your idea might become the next "big" thing that helps out 1000's of other Mustang owners!

Given our track record of responding to what people here have to say in the design and development of new products, I'd say this might be one of the best ways you can contribute to making the 2010 even better. Now some of the stuff is outside our "envelope" of capability, but a lot of it isn't, and we're always willing to invest in new technologies and equipment that brings more capabilities to the table to make new products we feel are viable and bring something unique to the hobby.

/discussion mode on/
Old 10/20/08, 10:56 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I still think the "hip scoops" on the '69 mustangs will look good on the 2010
Old 10/21/08, 12:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louvers that aren't taped on!!!!!!!! Like the current ones...maybe two versions for some choices!? Also, how bout some grill options. It looks like the GT grill will be something that everyone will want to do something different with...especially colorwise. And how bout something with the reflectors both front corners, back and inside the grill? Might be cool to have clear or blacked out ones..
Old 10/21/08, 12:30 AM
MOTM Committee Member

^^Ditto^^

And a kit that moves the rear view camera from the spoiler to the rear badge would be nice...
Old 10/21/08, 01:29 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

-I can imagine there will be a good market for alternative taillight configurations. Body-colored lenses for the reverse signals, perhaps, or complete reposition kits to put the back-ups somewhere other than between the brake lenses.

-A replacement lower rear valence, something that's cleaner and simpler, but retains the rear splitter (think current GT-500), would be pretty high on my list of wants.

-The lower front inlet on the Shelby looks huge and doesn't fit the car well. Something closer in dimension to the current gt-500, or one which more closely mirrors the grille above, would be a nice option especially for people putting -500 noses on their V6/GT 'Stangs.

-Weight is going to be one of our key advantages this cycle, and anything which helps that along (as in aluminum or composite replacements for factory steel) will be quite useful.

-A non-shiny gearshift for desert 'Stang owners.
Old 10/21/08, 02:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like the idea of hip scoops, like the 69 fastback, but would that require replacing the entire panel?
Old 10/21/08, 08:10 AM
GT Member

Shelby style wide tail lights. I loved these on the concept stang, and think they'd look killer on the 05-09's... but the 2010 needs them! I know the trunk cuts down between them, but I have an idea. Make "extension" panels that mount to the trunk lid. Say, a mirror of 2 of the light panels (5 total per side). They could be made using SMD LED's for a minimum relief, and then repro matching stock size tail lights using LED's with a matching relief/visible depth. I think this could easily be done well, and judging by the posts I've seen with limited searching, I think you'd make a killing too. I for one would be first in line.

Another idea would be a different automatic shifter. No one knows what it looks like yet, but the chunky 05-09 one is a deal breaker. Something leather wrapped, and ergonomic, while retaining all factory buttons would be very well recieved. Also, make it able to use a shift boot, to further clean up the look. An LED gear selector window mounted to the side of the boot would look killer as well. I believe recent Vette's had something similar to this.

Just some ideas...
Old 10/21/08, 09:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'd like a grill for the GT without the fogs so I can mount a tri bar pony offset on the drivers side.
Old 10/21/08, 09:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A black panel like your current offering,
that sits no higher than the rear badge.
Old 10/21/08, 04:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Boomer
A black panel like your current offering,
that sits no higher than the rear badge.

Boomer stole my idea! So I'll just say ditto.
Old 10/21/08, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
U]21 inch,20 inch and 19 inch stagered[/U] rims like these. Everything else that would make it look like this.
I know its not asking mutch.

[

Last edited by GrnT; 10/21/08 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10/21/08, 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

True shaker with ram air for me!
Old 10/21/08, 07:00 PM
GT Member

New headlight housings that eliminate the blinker/running lights. That looks bad IMO.
Old 10/21/08, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think rocker panels that flow better with the curves of the car and don't have that 'lip', but are more like the Foose Stallion

A redesign of the current quarter window louver to be less angular and have the same 'shark fin' shape as the 66 louvers. The current offering, while the only game in town, to me, doesn't quite match the lines of the car as they are straight angles while the louvers of the mid 66 had an ever so slight curve on the edge going up, and the line from top to bottom on each louver also had a slight curve. The S197 body style, even more so with the redesign, lends itself to a more curved louver than your current offering.

-danny

Old 10/21/08, 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Marc that's fickin sweet =Ford & all http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...36&postcount=1
Old 10/21/08, 08:43 PM
V6 Member

An alternative tail light package (without the white lenses.) Also maybe a revised version of the black panel on the rear bumper- Something more along the lines of the current Shelby GT500 valance.
Old 10/22/08, 03:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Cool . All things to consider for sure.

I'm knee-deep in preparing our car for SEMA, so I have to be brief and just respond to a couple at the moment... (I will cover more later, promise...)

Honeycomb panel - already working out how to do it, just need the CAD files for the trunk and we'll be good to go with the prototype - our current US Patent will cover the mods to make it 2010 "compliant".

Louvers - Danny, I see the arc you're speaking of, and understand the thought - unfortunately, the louvers are currently our only piece (with the possible exception of the fuel door) that will not need to be redesigned for the 2010 model to fit. Given the cost of the two tools we made to produce them, I will just be honest and say the only way we'd be making a major change to them would be if they didn't fit anymore and we were forced into a new tool. As much as that arc could've been incorporated into the current ones during the build phase, adding it now would require re-cutting the tool, which is a "dangerous" proposition once you have one (or two in this case) that work correctly - goes back to the whole "if it isn't broke" mentality....

But I will discuss that one around here - it might be an option if the tool ever needed maintenance to do it at that time.
Old 10/28/08, 03:27 AM
Bullitt Member

How about some bummer stickers that read "if you can read this sell your camaro" or "yes it has a SRA but can you still keep up?" or "I use Challengers for sunblock"
Old 10/28/08, 03:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Something I would focus on would be Functional side scoops(blended in as good as the GT-500E) Some quarter scoops that function. A rear bumper similar to production but more flush with the rest of the bumper. Just a thought.
Old 11/10/08, 11:14 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I agree on the taillights...was thinking that as soon as I saw the thread, but see two others already suggested...I'm still thinking of putting 69 backup lights on mine and going full red to get rid of the little backup light the current ones run, but think (depending on 'real' pictures) that the new backup lights dont 'look like a mustang'...never know, might look great in real life, but so far to me they look kinda foreign for some reason...

I still think some kind of heat extractors for the hood would be cool, if they could be cut in fairly easily, and include baffle/drains for everyday use...and have yet to see a truly nice fitting set of rear slats- with the way the top is straight, bottom is curved, really each slat needs its own profile, but still, think for even the price of the cheaper sets out there a better set could still be made profitably...I kinda like the ones from Roush, but I think the bottom slat still sits a bit high- just nit-pickin

better seatback release levers still need offered for the current model- hopefully ford might have already beefed them up for the 010, so we can just buy better hardware, but who knows...

I think custom wheel centers would still be cool-see if same size centers as current centercaps are carried over, offer options of maybe a dozen or so different logos, and use a macro to allow easy 'one-offs' of custom text/engraving, look at a scaled 69 gascap type of rear medallion option(if Ford would allow the 'pony'in the center...wonder if relief/concave milling the pony image would be legal as its not the same as anything Fords ever used?)

in any event, I'm sure SHR will have more cool new mustang goodies coming- keep up the good work!

Tim

Last edited by ford4v429; 11/10/08 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok, so I get to measure it close up, what do you want to see?