2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil Cap Breather vs Separator

Old 2/8/17, 10:33 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
...Call me dense but I still don’t see the need in an non-supercharged application…unless you have really bad rings!

John

FYI My car is a NA car, no supercharger. I have less than 14k miles on my car. Since new it has had only full synthetic oil, and it is changed every 6 months, or about every 2000 miles. I have no ring or compression issues.

With my Ford Racing Track Key Tune, Ford Highly Recommended an oil separator to keep the octane levels consistent. It requires 91 Octane fuel.

Like I mentioned in my first post in this tread I catch about 1 to 2 ounces of oil for every 1000 miles. I really do not want that forced down my intake...

But hey, it is your car and if you want to push that through your intake it is your choice. I would rather not have that gunk build up in mine.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 2/8/17 at 10:36 PM.
Old 2/8/17, 10:47 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Shane ! That's not what John was trying to say at all.. He was referring to oil cap breathers that include one way check valves, not oil separators..

-Rocky
Old 2/9/17, 07:15 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Shane ! That's not what John was trying to say at all.. He was referring to oil cap breathers that include one way check valves, not oil separators..

-Rocky
Ok, I realise that, but took it as not needing anything unless you had engine issues... If that is not the message, sorry my bad.
Old 2/9/17, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hmmm…I’m not sure how the conversation got twisted around to speaking about catch cans and that I don’t understand their function. It’s indicative of why I don’t post much here anymore. I’ve not even mentioned them so I’m not sure how it was concluded I said they had no merit. The conversation, at least my part of it, has been centered on the merits of the pop-off breather on a normally aspirated engine and the desirability of an active PCV system verses a passive breather. Because the facts have pretty much been discovered and there is essentially nothing left to discuss on the topic, I now choose to leave the conversation.

John
Old 2/9/17, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
Hmmm…I’m not sure how the conversation got twisted around to speaking about catch cans and that I don’t understand their function. It’s indicative of why I don’t post much here anymore. I’ve not even mentioned them so I’m not sure how it was concluded I said they had no merit. The conversation, at least my part of it, has been centered on the merits of the pop-off breather on a normally aspirated engine and the desirability of an active PCV system verses a passive breather. Because the facts have pretty much been discovered and there is essentially nothing left to discuss on the topic, I now choose to leave the conversation.

John
Glad we could all help!
Old 2/9/17, 10:28 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,583 Posts
I sure hope we did anyhow..
Old 2/10/17, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
You did, I think I got the information I was looking for in this thread. Thanks guys!

Search this Thread