2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Odered car delivered: 22 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/10, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ordered car delivered: 22 miles?

My dad ordered a new Sterling 5.0 with Brembos, glass roof, saddle leather seats, etc. The dealer said it's the first 5.0 they've gotten at that dealership. It arrived at the dealer on Saturday when he was out of town and he scheduled to pick it up today. But yesterday he descided to stop by to look the car over. When sitting in it he noticed it had 22 miles on it. Is that normal? All new vehicles I've ever bought had something like 3 miles on it. There was no paperwork indicating Ford did extra testing either. Thoughts?

My take: eh.. maybe the salesman/mechanics did some test drives up and down the street but they likely didn't do any harm.. no worse than anyone else, including my Dad, would do. He looked the car over and didn't see any damage anywhere. But I just wanted your take also.

Last edited by spike; 6/22/10 at 07:39 AM. Reason: cna't sepll
Old 6/22/10, 06:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would think the shipping company would do odometer checks on the cars they haul. maybe check with them to see how many miles were on it when they picked it up..

-congrats on the car!
Old 6/22/10, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

7 (+or-) on mine
Old 6/22/10, 06:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Supposedly the 2011's are going through extra testing by Ford before being delivered to the dealer ... maybe that explains it.
Old 6/22/10, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Sterling/Saddle/Glass Roof/Brembo Pkg? ....
Old 6/22/10, 06:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

keep in mind alot of these cars have been moved offsite and back a couple of times at the factory as well. Most of mine have had in the 10-20 mile range so far.
Old 6/22/10, 06:35 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I didn't check, how many miles my V-6 had when it first came in. I know my dealer didn't drive it anywhere because i got there while they were taking the plastic off the seats and getting it ready to wash. According to my Title it had 13 miles on it.
Old 6/22/10, 06:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
~30 miles is not abnormal for most new cars. I wouldn't sweat it... even if they beat the snot out of it for 22 miles it would make essentially no difference in the life of the car.

I can understand the question but wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it.
Old 6/22/10, 07:17 AM

I have to add.......Feel the rear tires for the little rubber nubby things on the tread. If any 'burn-outs' were done, they will be gone. My tires had them so i know nothing bad was done to my Mustang before i picked it up.
Old 6/22/10, 07:21 AM

My Cobra had 173 miles on it when I picked it up a week after it arrived. I only drove it twice before official delivery and that was around the block, maybe twenty miles round trip total. I was pissed. But it really doesn't matter. I put more miles on it anyway. It was just a big deal at the time since it was my first Mustang and a dream car at that. What-ev. When it came off the truck it had 82 miles on it already and that was fresh off the truck. So I don't know. Can't do anything about it anyway. It's not like I'm going to tell them to take it back because there are miles on it that I didn't put on it myself. I mean, I have my mom and best friend taking care of her now that I'm over here and that's going to be for a year. So I can't get mad at them for driving it and putting miles on it, might as well get over the dealership/factory putting miles on it.
Old 6/22/10, 07:25 AM
GT Member

Forgetaboutit
Old 6/22/10, 07:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
My Cobra had 173 miles on it when I picked it up a week after it arrived. I only drove it twice before official delivery and that was around the block, maybe twenty miles round trip total. I was pissed. But it really doesn't matter. I put more miles on it anyway. It was just a big deal at the time since it was my first Mustang and a dream car at that. What-ev. When it came off the truck it had 82 miles on it already and that was fresh off the truck. So I don't know. Can't do anything about it anyway. It's not like I'm going to tell them to take it back because there are miles on it that I didn't put on it myself. I mean, I have my mom and best friend taking care of her now that I'm over here and that's going to be for a year. So I can't get mad at them for driving it and putting miles on it, might as well get over the dealership/factory putting miles on it.
The problem is where your imagination takes over and you suspect the worst. The truth is that the guys at the factory and most dealer lots see these cars all day long. Unless you happened to get the lot-jockey who just started on his first day, odds are they have the "whooping on cars" thing out of their system and they just want to get the job done and go home...but yeah, 173 miles is more than usual and it would irritate me too...but in the end, there's pretty much no way that they hurt the car.

It's gonna feel so good to get home and get behind the wheel of your hotrod again, Ice Hawk! I hope you don't have to wait too long... FWIW, it's probably better for the car if they do take it around town once in a while and keep the fluids circulating.
Old 6/22/10, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
~30 miles is not abnormal for most new cars. I wouldn't sweat it... even if they beat the snot out of it for 22 miles it would make essentially no difference in the life of the car. I can understand the question but wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it.
That's what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by laserred38
Sterling/Saddle/Glass Roof/Brembo Pkg? ....
I don't get it. So you do or don't approve?

Originally Posted by Karpro
keep in mind alot of these cars have been moved offsite and back a couple of times at the factory as well. Most of mine have had in the 10-20 mile range so far.
Good to know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by David Young
I have to add.......Feel the rear tires for the little rubber nubby things on the tread. If any 'burn-outs' were done, they will be gone. My tires had them so i know nothing bad was done to my Mustang before i picked it up.
Good advice. I'll tell him to check that out.

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
...Can't do anything about it anyway. It's not like I'm going to tell them to take it back because there are miles on it that I didn't put on it myself...
Yep.. I certainly don't think he's gonna make them take it back and wait 3 months for another one.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll pass it along. He knows I'm on the forums so I thought I'd get everyone's thoughts and pass it along to him before he picks it up later today. Sounds like everyone is on the same page. Maybe I'll post pics if he sends me some tonight. My only problem is that he said he'd let me take it for a non-restricted spin when he comes down next to visit and I'm not sure how my '06 is gonna feel about that.

Last edited by spike; 6/22/10 at 07:41 AM. Reason: It's hard to reply to mutiple posts and get it right :)
Old 6/22/10, 07:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That's what I was going to order when I was shopping 10/11 GTs, so it makes me sad. But still makes me drool. So yes, I wholeheartedly approve haha
Old 6/22/10, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine had 26 miles on it when it was delivered. I think Ford is doing testing on some of the cars.
Old 6/22/10, 09:31 AM

Maybe they let some car magazines use them for their testing.
Old 6/22/10, 10:24 AM
GT Member

Had 10 on mine when I got it Monday.
Old 6/22/10, 10:31 AM
V6 Member

mine had 14 on it new if i remember right so i wouldn't be upset with 22, however i did get a upset a week later when i took the car in to get its windows tinted and it had 38 miles put on it while it was supposed to be having its windows tinted!!!
Old 6/22/10, 10:45 AM
GT Member

Mine had 43 miles on it. But I had waited 3 months, and it had sat in various lots for 2 months after being produced, so I just checked it out thoroughly before accepting it, and gave no further thought to it. I know the miles weren't put on at the dealership. Life's too short, and the car is too fun !
Old 6/22/10, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess everything checked out since I just found this pic in my e-mail. Go Pops!
Attached Thumbnails Odered car delivered: 22 miles?-img_6267b.jpg  

Quick Reply: Odered car delivered: 22 miles?