Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Not usually one to air dirty laundry but...

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/14, 03:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why, if you bought the wheels directly from A/M, why is the shop, NTB or whoever, involved in the return/replacement at all, short of providing the invoice for the mounting showing that one wheel was bad???

That is something you should be handling directly with A/M, getting a RMA and sending the wheel back yourself.
Old 5/13/14, 03:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
You explained and solved your problem right there. Not only did you mount a tire, but you drove on it as well. That is what it comes down to...it is now a used product and can't be returned. There's no reason to even be in contact with them about it. It is on you to take the hit, because you mounted it instead of returning it right away.
No it's not, that is what A/M's warranty is for and how it works.
Old 5/13/14, 03:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
You explained and solved your problem right there. Not only did you mount a tire, but you drove on it as well. That is what it comes down to...it is now a used product and can't be returned. There's no reason to even be in contact with them about it. It is on you to take the hit, because you mounted it instead of returning it right away.
I don't think that would be the problem Sebastian. The warranty is one year structural. There is no way that AM would expect someone to buy a wheel, and not drive on it during the warranty period. If anything the OP was just trying to live with the defect, but couldn't. It should be covered.

Last edited by wanted33; 5/13/14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 5/13/14, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because AM doesn't offer all-season tires for 20 inch rims so I ordered General GMAX AS03's from NTB. That's why they put the tires on the rims
Old 5/13/14, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by punishermustang
Okay so what you're saying is that their LIFETIME STRUCTUAL WARRANTY means nill. Because had it not been caught by the person installing it and someone later balancing the tires or mounting new ones notices it's out of wake is that still not a STRUCTUAL problem?
Yes. You realize that it's only there for marketing purposes, right? Companies do it so that they can say that it has a "LIFETIME WARRANTY"...when really the warranty doesn't cover anything. But that's just the way it is, and everyone does it.

2 years later, who's to say that the "defect" wasn't caused by jumping a curb? If they actually stood by that warranty, they'd have a ton of fraudulent warranty claims.
Old 5/13/14, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

The only reason NTB was involved is the AM representative on the phone stated that they had to have shop invoice sent by NTB stating it was damaged.
Old 5/13/14, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This makes me want to just stay with the stock wheels even though i have been thinking about the charcoal AMR's.........I already had this on a prior car where I bought aftermarket wheels and took the dang thing to about 4 different places to try and get them balanced and never could....I just gave up and put the stock wheels back on....
Old 5/13/14, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Well then all they have to do is one of their associates come on here and say that we will not honor our warranty and if they do that I'll walk away... and so will a bunch of other people from their business I'm sure... so that's all I ask.

Yes. You realize that it's only there for marketing purposes, right? Companies do it so that they can say that it has a "LIFETIME WARRANTY"...when really the warranty doesn't cover anything. But that's just the way it is, and everyone does it.

2 years later, who's to say that the "defect" wasn't caused by jumping a curb? If they actually stood by that warranty, they'd have a ton of fraudulent warranty claims.
Old 5/13/14, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

The initial invoice from the shop that states the rim was bent while in the box maybe would be the one to say it wasn't a defect caused by a curb?
2 years later, who's to say that the "defect" wasn't caused by jumping a curb?
Old 5/13/14, 03:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Well then all they have to do is one of their associates come on here and say that we will not honor our warranty and if they do that I'll walk away... and so will a bunch of other people from their business I'm sure... so that's all I ask.
It's not a matter of not honoring the warranty. You voided the return policy when you mounted and drove on it. Bringing up the structural integrity is irrelevant after you have driven on it. For all they know, you damaged the rim yourself. After all, you said it was so damaged that...wait for it...It could still be balanced.

There was a simple return solution...You chose to install it anyway.
Old 5/13/14, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not going to argue you with on the matter. You may be right and I've expressed that numerous times I just want... resolve FROM THEM!!!!! Not from a Stupidgenius36 I have never once said you were wrong... you very well may be spot on... but I think as a customer I deserve to have it resolved and get a response from them telling me it is this way or it is that way.
Old 5/13/14, 05:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't get the point of a 1 year structural warranty if driving it would make it invalid....that is dumb logic. ...
Old 5/13/14, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not going to argue you with on the matter. You may be right and I've expressed that numerous times I just want... resolve FROM THEM!!!!! Not from a Stupidgenius36 I have never once said you were wrong... you very well may be spot on... but I think as a customer I deserve to have it resolved and get a response from them telling me it is this way or it is that way.
Hi punishermustang...How is the new GT500 you bought? You mentioned a while back going to do the finance. Which one did you purchase? Just remember 800 hp is a tune, tb and pulley away.
Old 5/13/14, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Ended up being offered a job in Arizona so decided to wait till settled in to buy Decided on coupe but really want it in white with blue stripes and seems to be hardest color to find should have pulled trigger on one I found last year
Old 5/13/14, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Ended up being offered a job in Arizona so decided to wait till settled in to buy Decided on coupe but really want it in white with blue stripes and seems to be hardest color to find should have pulled trigger on one I found last year

I understand. When the time is right you will have one. Good luck.
Old 5/13/14, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have the 18x9 and 18x10 charcoal amr's and when i ordered them i forgot to log into my account i have on american muscle. well the paint on mine is chipping off on all of my wheels and since i forgot to log into my account i dont have access to my order number and they basicly told me im SOL since i dont have the order number even though they have a 1 year finish warranty and ive only had them like 3 months now.
Old 5/13/14, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by southcarolina12
i have the 18x9 and 18x10 charcoal amr's and when i ordered them i forgot to log into my account i have on american muscle. well the paint on mine is chipping off on all of my wheels and since i forgot to log into my account i dont have access to my order number and they basicly told me im SOL since i dont have the order number even though they have a 1 year finish warranty and ive only had them like 3 months now.
That's...lovely.
Old 5/13/14, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
That's...lovely.
yep so im probably going to have to just sand blast them and powder coat them.
Old 5/13/14, 08:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
It's not a matter of not honoring the warranty. You voided the return policy when you mounted and drove on it. Bringing up the structural integrity is irrelevant after you have driven on it. For all they know, you damaged the rim yourself. After all, you said it was so damaged that...wait for it...It could still be balanced. There was a simple return solution...You chose to install it anyway.
How would you know the wheel had an issue unless you mounted the tire on it and attempted to balance it? Just looking at the wheel wouldn't tell you that it had an issue would it? Then say the shop doing the balancing tells you they're familiar with AM and they think they have it in spec; but if not they will help with the return process. Do you think the op should have immediately removed all four wheels and tires and returned the defective unit without their authorization? That's the problem here, they haven't responded. What was he to do; just dismount the tire and blindly return the wheel hoping for the best? And lastly how can you say "bringing up the structural integrity is irrelevant after you've driven on it"? What are you implying the warranty is for, just covering the wheel during the shipping and/or mounting process, saying that the structural integrity is guaranteed only until the car is lowered to the ground after the mounting? Maybe you're a satisfied AM customer which is fine and dandy but the OP has a right to request a response and deserves one. Until either the OP contacts me or the vendor contacts me this thread is temporarily closed.

Last edited by tom281; 5/13/14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 5/13/14, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
How would you know the wheel had an issue unless you mounted the tire on it and attempted to balance it? Just looking at the wheel wouldn't tell you that it had an issue would it? Then say the shop doing the balancing tells you they're familiar with AM and they think they have it in spec; but if not they will help with the return process. Do you think the op should have immediately removed all four wheels and tires and returned the defective unit without their authorization? That's the problem here, they haven't responded. What was he to do; just dismount the tire and blindly return the wheel hoping for the best? And lastly how can you say "bringing up the structural integrity is irrelevant after you've driven on it"? What are you implying the warranty is for, just covering the wheel during the shipping and/or mounting process, saying that the structural integrity is guaranteed only until the car is lowered to the ground after the mounting? Maybe you're a satisfied AM customer which is fine and dandy but the OP has a right to request a response and deserves one. Until either the OP contacts me or the vendor contacts me this thread is temporarily closed.
i completely agree. theres no point in a lifetime warranty if you void the warranty buy mounting the wheel.

Quick Reply: Not usually one to air dirty laundry but...