2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is this normal?

Old 2/7/17, 11:33 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this normal?

Couple friends of my friend wanted to hear my roush exhaust, so i did some acceleration in front of their car. After showing off they told me they smelled gas while i was accelerating, I dont smell any gas inside or outside when i pulled over or when driving. Is this normal?

Last edited by Winkawak; 2/7/17 at 11:36 PM.
Old 2/8/17, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Was your engine cold? I often smell gas when I've just started mine on a cold day, but it goes away after it warms up a little.
Old 2/8/17, 07:27 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge
Was your engine cold? I often smell gas when I've just started mine on a cold day, but it goes away after it warms up a little.
it was at operating temperature, i mean if there was a leak somewhere i would of smelled it.
Old 2/8/17, 10:31 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Are you still running cats or an off-road pipe ? If it's an off-road pipe, you're exhaust gases are going to have a much stronger smell to them..

Also if you didn't notice the gas odors until after installing the Roush AB's, you either have an exhaust leak between the AB and over the axle pipes or the AB's themselves are defective.. So I'd check both just to be on the safe side
Old 2/9/17, 04:26 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I was stopped at a red light once and was smelling gas . I was freaking out for a little while until I saw an old car to the left and a little ahead of me. It was leaking gas .
Old 2/9/17, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I usually smell gas when the engine is cold.
Old 2/9/17, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Had similar experience with my Borla ATAK Axlebacks a few months back when I was doing some canyon driving.

On the wide open straight road down-shifted, I gave a good amount of gas testing out my newly installed instrument. It absolutely screamed roar fulfilling much needed thirst, I was happy to receive fair applause from fellow enthusiasts at the scene.

The gentleman who was driving a nice M3 right behind me commented however, that he smelled(!) a quite bit of gas. But...I couldn't tell from inside the cabin.

I have been wondering it myself since then if the odor is normal. Could it be 'more flow' that's been added to the equation?? or a faulty installation job from the shop? or perhaps the NEW equipment needs burn-in?!

FYI, my setup is Boss302 Side Exhaust + Resonator delete + Borla ATAK. I had GT500 Axlebacks prior to Borla.

Search this Thread