2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

No brotherly love

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/16, 04:49 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorV6
The hate is real for V6 Mustangs. Usually it's members of the car community who aren't particularly big fans of Mustangs to begin with, but a lot of the time it's GT owners as well.

I haven't seen that too much at the shows and cruises I attend. Nothing wrong with a Mustang 6 banger. There are lots of reasons why someone would buy a 6...financial/family are probably primary, but many of the folks I know have long commutes to work and want something cool to drive without having to invest in a gas station. Lets face it, a GT is not the most practical car for everyday long drives. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that.

I considered a V6 'vert at one time. But I figured at my age it might be my last opportunity to go as ***** out as my wallet would allow.

I might bash other cars in jest (well, maybe not a Prius...I'm serious when I dump on them), but the reality is that it's all good. And all Mustangs get a wave from me.
Old 3/4/16, 06:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Going from a 11 V6 (2 years) to a 12 GTCS, (2+years) I can say without a doubt that more hate comes from v6 owners than vice versa. I have often wondered if it is because my car does not have the 5.0 badges on the fenders. In addition, no "GT" on the deck lid or grille fog lights. I wonder if they see the running horse and assume my car is like the MCA edition? Therefore, an even match or they think I'm a poser.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 3/4/16 at 06:49 AM.
Old 3/4/16, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would have loved a GT if funds had allowed but Student loans and trying to buy a house kept me at a v6. I would trade in my car but I owe a lot more than what they are willing to give me for my car. I love my v6 and the money I saved went into some mods here and there. Gas mileage is no better than a GT at 18-19mpg. Some GTs get worse I know but some get better.

I think it comes down to a back and forth with the mustang community on the six vs 8 debate. You have a younger crowd only able to afford the v6 and thus act immature enough to **** off some of the v8 crowd. You also have the immature v8 owners who think they can never lose a race. It just ruins it for the rest of the community in my opinion.
Old 3/4/16, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by killaz05
I would have loved a GT if funds had allowed but Student loans and trying to buy a house kept me at a v6. I would trade in my car but I owe a lot more than what they are willing to give me for my car. I love my v6 and the money I saved went into some mods here and there. Gas mileage is no better than a GT at 18-19mpg. Some GTs get worse I know but some get better. I think it comes down to a back and forth with the mustang community on the six vs 8 debate. You have a younger crowd only able to afford the v6 and thus act immature enough to **** off some of the v8 crowd. You also have the immature v8 owners who think they can never lose a race. It just ruins it for the rest of the community in my opinion.
Same boat as you due to my funds at the time. I bought my v6 new and later my GT used with very very low miles. In fact, I did its first break in oil change. I got a great deal on my trade in and the payments stayed the same!

Yes, I started the term of the loan over but I don't regret it. I loved my v6 but always deep down wanted the GT. Living in both worlds, I know that both cars have their perks.

One a side note: My advice is to get a gently used GT if you're in the market. Let someone else take the hit.
Old 3/4/16, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
When I ordered my car, a V6 would've made so much more sense for me. Actually, at the time, a Focus ST or even Fusion would've made more sense than anything. Yet, when buying a car like this, since when did it make sense at all? Hence, Glass Roof Premium GT, loaded, and modded lol

Anthony, you actually drive/track your car, so you get more respect from me than I deserve from you. I would've been plenty happy with the power from the current V6, but I needed that V8 noise.
Old 3/4/16, 02:46 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
My wife isn't helping me out any. When she is at work or at the beauty shop and they start talking about cars. She has been telling people, my husband has long tube mufflers (for long tube headers) and a CNN air filter (for C&L c.a.i.) on his Mustang.
HA HAAAAAAAAAAA

I needed this laugh after a long day at work. Good day at work, but it was long. The first half went by fast, the second half,.......not too much. lol
Old 3/4/16, 09:06 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Going from a 11 V6 (2 years) to a 12 GTCS, (2+years) I can say without a doubt that more hate comes from v6 owners than vice versa. I have often wondered if it is because my car does not have the 5.0 badges on the fenders. In addition, no "GT" on the deck lid or grille fog lights. I wonder if they see the running horse and assume my car is like the MCA edition? Therefore, an even match or they think I'm a poser.
I don't know about that, I guess it just depends on the community. Obviously, I don't get any hate from V6 owners given that my car is a V6. But I've gotten hate from GT owners on several occasions, though it's seldom in person. I've had 5.0 owners tell me point blank (before it was boosted) "there's no way you're beating a V8 in that thing" (which still wasn't true obviously). If you even mention V6 on the S197 facebook page there will be immediate backlash. Somebody posted a very clean boosted 4.0 and even it got several disparaging comments. I get hate from car people who aren't into Mustangs more often than I can count though, and they can never leave alone the fact that there are only 6 holes under my hood.
Old 3/7/16, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Anthony, you actually drive/track your car, so you get more respect from me than I deserve from you. I would've been plenty happy with the power from the current V6, but I needed that V8 noise.
Why thank you but I too want the v8 noise. The extra power would be welcome as well. One day I might get a GT but I need to focus on getting a used truck as a second vehicle first!

One person mentioned not getting hated on by v6 mustangs cause his was a v6. I get hated on by fellow v6 owners because I don't street race them. They try calling me out etc. I just roll my eyes.
Old 3/7/16, 09:46 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
If you want to get close to the V-8 noise, the GT500 quad tips sound really good on the V-6 cars.
Old 3/7/16, 06:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
GT500 drivers are A holes, not going to even acknowledge someone in a lowly GT. They think their poo doesn't stink.
You traitorous bastige!
Old 3/7/16, 06:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
GF and I were at a small show last summer, my Whippled GT parked next to her GT500 as always.
We're both at our cars, wiping them down, whatever.
Old couple pulls in in a dark red '13-'14 GT500, front license plate mounted in front of the heat exchanger opening.
He gets out, puts the hood up, wonders about a bit.
He makes his way to us, looks under my GF's hood, sees the "lowly" 5.4 and asks something about it, my GF says the mods and that she was at about 550-560 rwhp at the time, before the TVS was installed.
He turns and points to his car and just says "Six sixty-two"
Like, really dude?
Everybody can read a magazine ... and if you really knew your car you'd probably know that they're under-rated and you wouldn't walk around looking like a pompous as* spouting off advertised HP numbers.
Anyway, they stayed another 10-15 minutes and it probably got to be nappy time so they left.
Felt sorry for the car, but I'm sure he'll soon trade it in for a Corvette anyway, he was definitely in the typical Corvette-owner age range ...
I know mine was underrated, dyno'd at 671 on its first run.

I had a guy drive up in a ZL1 next to me, asked me, "You think your *SHELBY* (said sarcastically) can actually outrun me?" I told him, "Congrats on your fat bank account. And yes, it will run circles around your stock chebby. It sits well over 100 HP above stock, it has a racing suspension and R-compound tires on the front and rear, not to mention half a dozen other improvements made to it since I bought it. Your stock chebby will look about as silly as you do staring at me. By the way, the girl in your passenger seat is laughing at you."

People get high on their new cars, on HP, on arrogance, pretty much on anything they think is top-o-the-world. There's always someone with more HP, with a better paint job, with more _______. I just enjoy the sound of my exhaust and don't give others a second thought.
Old 3/7/16, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've seen and driven a 6-banger S197. It was called a Terlingua. Those things are absolutely no joke.
Old 3/10/16, 02:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I know plenty of GT and GT500 drivers that are not jerks. I've owned a GT myself and opted for the six this time simply because it's a daily driver to and from work. If I was buying a Mustang for a weekend car it would be V8 powered. A guy that goes to the same gym I do drives a Boss 302 and he made it a point to come up and compliment my six banger. The red with the black wheels appearance package gets a lot of compliments. There's always going to be those exceptions to the rule that end up creating a stereotype for this group or that. A Mustang forum that I used to post on had a guy that was a GT 500 owner who would make it a point to post insults in the V6 section just to be an *** to the V6 owners and brag about how much better his GT 500 was. Finally one of the moderators who was also a GT 500 owner called him out for being a douche and banned him. To the OP I sincerely wouldn't be surprised if the guy just didn't hear you. Or heck maybe he was a douche, who knows. As one poster on here pointed out, there's car guys and then there's guys that just buy cars. A true car guy generally won't feel the need to insult you for driving a six banger. I just look at it like this. If you think your GT 500 makes you better than a guy that drives a six than go look for a late model Corvette and find out how short in the pants you are. lol I wouldn't let it bother you. Yes there are plenty of a-holes in the world but there are also plenty of good guys out there too.
Old 3/10/16, 08:56 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
A Mustang forum that I used to post on had a guy that was a GT 500 owner who would make it a point to post insults in the V6 section just to be an *** to the V6 owners and brag about how much better his GT 500 was. Finally one of the moderators who was also a GT 500 owner called him out for being a douche and banned him.
Perhaps JOE?!?
Old 3/10/16, 09:53 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
"Say it isn't so Joe"
Old 3/11/16, 01:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Perhaps JOE?!?
It wasn't this forum and if Joe was in the screen name it definitely wasn't him. His screen name didn't have any formal name in it. That doesn't rule out the possibility that he came to this forum after being banned on the other forum but that forum was specific to the S197 car.
Old 3/11/16, 04:33 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Joe was a 12 year old, home schooled, special needs child, that would sneak downstairs and get on his mothers computer from time to time
Old 3/11/16, 05:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
It wasn't this forum and if Joe was in the screen name it definitely wasn't him. His screen name didn't have any formal name in it. That doesn't rule out the possibility that he came to this forum after being banned on the other forum but that forum was specific to the S197 car.
Joe's screen name here was something like 2011SHELBYGT500

Edit: It was 11SHELBYGT500 and yes he got himself perma-banned on here a couple years ago ...

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ygt500-113843/

Last edited by Gabe; 3/11/16 at 05:19 AM.
Old 3/11/16, 09:10 AM

I remember he made a thread about a "scratched key fob." I think they call it trolling or griefer?

He also helped me solidify my floundering my opinion of UPS. Lol