2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

News from the competition

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/10, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
News from the competition

Apparently Camaro sales are better than Mustang sales. So Dodge is shooting at the Camaro on all lower levels but still has Shelby as the top target.

http://jalopnik.com/5642682/2011-dod...e-0+to+60-time

I know the numbers show more Camaro are out there but are they on the road? Did the 5.0 Production delays skew the numbers in the favor of GM?

Last edited by mweeps; 9/20/10 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Spelling in Title
Old 9/20/10, 01:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Who cares what Chevy's sales are? It's an ugly car and I wouldn't buy one. It's also the new kid on the block so it's hotter right now than the Mustang that's been out for 6 years.
This is actually a good thing for us because it will make Ford offer up more improvements for 2012.
Old 9/20/10, 01:57 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's okay that cumaro sales are a little higher, just makes the duck hunting easier...
Old 9/20/10, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
It's also the new kid on the block so it's hotter right now than the Mustang that's been out for 46 years.
Fixed it for you. Joking aside, it shows around here. I think I saw one 5.0 that wasn't mine a month ago, it was two cars behind me and turned off a minute later, looked like a Kona Blue 2010+ GT/CS, and assuming there wasn't one in 2010 it had to be a 5.0. I see a Camaro SS that isn't my mother's about once a week.

The 5.0 engine just wasn't hyped much. You'll note all the commercials from Ford go on about 305 HP and 31 MPG.

Anyway, where was I. Oh, still early really, the 5.0 might still catch on, and we're still seeing sales improvement overall for the Mustang as a result of the 2011 model.
Old 9/20/10, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

The Camaro was missing for 8 years. When it came back, it was even more of a fire-breather than before, especially now that it has returned to it's roots - the ability to handle! More sales than the Mustang is not only to be expected, but you'd have to be plain silly to think the Mustang would out sell it!

The new Mustang, even with the 5.0, isn't as big of an attention grabber as the new Camaro, whether you want to admit it or not. Don't get me wrong - I'm personally biased towards the look of the Mustang - but there is no denying the fact that the new Camaro is striking, be it in a good or bad way. People who have never wanted a Camaro, or a Mustang for that matter, I'm sure have gone out and picked up Camaro's just because it is so crazy and cartoon-ish looking.

Anyone who wanted a Mustang since 2002 has been able to go out and buy one. Camaro fan's haven't had the option. Regardless of all the sales figures and the like, this is looking to be the best Pony Car War ever.
Old 9/20/10, 03:30 PM
Cobra R Member

I think it's great that people can get the car they want. But I don't care how many Camaro's are out there- I DON'T want one. If the Mustang disappeared tomorrow I would not run out and buy a Camaro, I might buy a Challenger (but the inside really turns me off). Anyway, I'm seeing more Camaro's on the road than I did a year ago (but that's to be expected) but I rarely see another GT500. I like having an uncommon car.
Old 9/20/10, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Camaro fan's haven't had the option. Regardless of all the sales figures and the like, this is looking to be the best Pony Car War ever.
Best. War. EVER! lol
Old 9/20/10, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I actually researched over the course of half a year before I even made my pick. I had a Mustang bias going in, but I gave the competition a fair shot, and ultimately I could only sigh sadly at the 2010 Mustang's powertrain. Which got upgraded in 2011. Given that was the only deal breaker, that made my choice relatively easy once I decided to shell out the extra money instead of take the cheaper 2010.

But that's just me.
Old 9/20/10, 07:16 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I like having an uncommon car.
Y'know its funny you mention that, Camaro sales are brisk, but alot of Camaro folks can't stand the number of Mustangs on the road and like you want an uncommon car.

This always makes me ask though; "So you love the fact that Camaro is kicking Mustang's butt in the sales race right now, yet you have no desire to see yourself at every corner"?

So I guess Camaro folks like to see Mustang get beat in the sales race, but on the chance that the number of Camaros reach critical mass to the point where they are just as common, F-body fans would rather see sales plummet to protect the car's "rarity"
Old 9/20/10, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

If you want rarity a Mustang or Camaro doesn't fit the bill. Can't go more than 60 seconds around here without seeing one of the other.
Old 9/20/10, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

I've never had a GM car. I've had many mustangs. That said, i was definitely considering the camaro. And, I completely disagree that the Camaro is ugly. I think it's one very very sexy beast. That said, I'm a mustang guy, The mustang handles better, has a better interior an da sweet high reving 5.0.

Sales don't mean a lot to me. I got what I wanted, I encourage others to purchase what they can afford and will enjoy. I have no hatred of any American Muscle cars. There are some great ones out there and I salute them all.

Now let's go kill some caymen, evos, stis and m3s
Old 9/20/10, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

I think the Camaro looks kind of cool, but GM could have done so much better. The interior design is just grotesque and it's on the heavy side. A modern interior design and a curb weight around 3500lbs would do wonders for that car, IMO.

I wouldn't buy one, but if you gave me a free SS I probably wouldn't sell it, either.
Old 9/20/10, 09:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
Y'know its funny you mention that, Camaro sales are brisk, but alot of Camaro folks can't stand the number of Mustangs on the road and like you want an uncommon car.

This always makes me ask though; "So you love the fact that Camaro is kicking Mustang's butt in the sales race right now, yet you have no desire to see yourself at every corner"?

So I guess Camaro folks like to see Mustang get beat in the sales race, but on the chance that the number of Camaros reach critical mass to the point where they are just as common, F-body fans would rather see sales plummet to protect the car's "rarity"
I guess I didn't state my point very clearly.

I don't give a F**K about the Camaro!!!! I don't care if they sell a million of them, or they don't sell any, the car does nothing for me. The only thing I care about is Ford making the mustang better and better, so if Camaro sales help to push Ford to make a better mustang than that's great!
Old 9/20/10, 09:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Who cares what Chevy's sales are?
they better be **** good...considering we in u.s. and cdn own the **** company...figures the one time the government buys us all a company on the dow,and what do we get GM :-(
Old 9/20/10, 09:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
When it came back, it was even more of a fire-breather than before, especially now that it has returned to its roots - the ability to handle!

>returned to its roots - the ability to handle

>ability to handle

>handle

>weighs 4200lbs

Old 9/20/10, 10:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18

>ability to handle

>handle

>weighs 4200lbs

LOL........
Old 9/21/10, 07:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm a Mopar guy first... and while I have been 100% thrilled with my two S197 Mustang GTs, I will always wish the Challenger well.

Obviously, nobody wants their new hotrod to suddenly be the underdog...but it would be pretty awesome if it went as good as they claim.
Old 9/21/10, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18

>ability to handle

>handle

>weighs 4200lbs

Errr, curb weight for the 2010 6.2L Camaro is 3860lb, while the 2011 5.0L Mustang is 3603. Differences in fluids to make it a "wet" weight wouldn't be much a difference when the two are fully loaded.

Stop trying to down-play the Camaro! Making Ford think they've got this one in the bag won't do us any good
Old 9/21/10, 01:31 PM

Curb weight includes a full tank of gas plus all necessary fluids. Also, 250#'s difference is nothing to sneeze at. It's like driving around all the time with a buddy (a really big one) in the passenger seat, or two dead hookers in the trunk (more difficult in the Camaro).

Last edited by SolidAxle; 9/21/10 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Forgot the Camaro's trunk is like a tiny mineshaft.
Old 9/21/10, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Well the point I was getting at is the Camaro is no where near 4200 lbs, and again what I was getting at, the Camaro (in comparison to the most recent model, 2002) is worlds better in the handling department.

Quick Reply: News from the competition