2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

New Mustang not a good track toy?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/11, 09:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great discussion here, guys... awesome story, Stinger!

Ya know, even if I had the scratch to spend on an M3, I still would have bought a Mustang GT.

Being a life long fan of the Mazda Miata, I can tell you first hand that in many cases, more is less. I could have bought a BMW Z3 or Z4...a Honda S2000, etc. Each of which have more status and in some cases higher limits too but a bit of education and you realize that 95%-110% of the fun can be had with 50% of the initial investment.

Many autocross events, 13 winters and 200k miles later, my suspension modded 1997 Mazda Miata is still an absolute joy to drive.

I'm certain that I wouldn't be any faster around a track in an M3 than I would be in my Brembo package GT...and my ego isn't big enough to justify the cost of the BMW anyway.

Purely my opinion.
Old 4/6/11, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might give those used R6 a try later this year or next (hoping to get to TTB next year).
The $315+ a piece for the new ones makes my scrot tighten...
Old 4/6/11, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Great discussion here, guys... awesome story, Stinger!

Ya know, even if I had the scratch to spend on an M3, I still would have bought a Mustang GT.

Being a life long fan of the Mazda Miata, I can tell you first hand that in many cases, more is less. I could have bought a BMW Z3 or Z4...a Honda S2000, etc. Each of which have more status and in some cases higher limits too but a bit of education and you realize that 95%-110% of the fun can be had with 50% of the initial investment.

Many autocross events, 13 winters and 200k miles later, my suspension modded 1997 Mazda Miata is still an absolute joy to drive.

I'm certain that I wouldn't be any faster around a track in an M3 than I would be in my Brembo package GT...and my ego isn't big enough to justify the cost of the BMW anyway.

Purely my opinion.

So true, so true...

And I believe it's been pointed out on Top Gear, you have to be a c*** to drive a 911, and a d*** to drive an M3, correct?
Old 4/6/11, 10:19 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Most of the high line car owners always forget THE most important mod........

The driver mod
Old 4/6/11, 10:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stinger1982

The driver mod
amen
Old 4/6/11, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The driver mod

Absolutely true...but it's funny how in this context, we, the owners of "meager" $30k-$40K Mustangs can say this and chuckle...but I'm sure that the guys on the LS1 forums say the same thing about us and our fancy brand new cars.

It's all relative.
Old 4/6/11, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

The driver mod
Hehe you can see that at the ring weekend for weekend, when all that "brown-nosers" (who´re responsible for the bank desaster) from Frankfurt come over there for "posing" with their Astons, Ferraries, Porsches, etc. At the parking lot they ´re the greatest racers in their stories, they´re telling their blond, longlegged ladies.

But on the track ..... i guess you know that stories. We got some really good "hobby-racers" here, with older but well built cars like Mark II rabbits or E30 M3s (i love that car). It´s hell of fun to see them embarrassing the "big ones".

btw.. from carfriday to sunday the nordschleife is open from 08:00 a.m. to 07:00 pm for everybody (who´s got a ticket) and on monday 25th they´re open with the whole 24h track (GP+Nordschleife)

Sorry for OT .. what was the topic? ... ah yes, the 5.0 is that car to kick bmw´s **** on the track
Old 4/6/11, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The driver mod
Old 4/6/11, 11:07 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by Dennis-2011-GT
Hehe you can see that at the ring weekend for weekend, when all that "brown-nosers" (who´re responsible for the bank desaster) from Frankfurt come over there for "posing" with their Astons, Ferraries, Porsches, etc. At the parking lot they ´re the greatest racers in their stories, they´re telling their blond, longlegged ladies.

But on the track ..... i guess you know that stories. We got some really good "hobby-racers" here, with older but well built cars like Mark II rabbits or E30 M3s (i love that car). It´s hell of fun to see them embarrassing the "big ones".

btw.. from carfriday to sunday the nordschleife is open from 08:00 a.m. to 07:00 pm for everybody (who´s got a ticket) and on monday 25th they´re open with the whole 24h track (GP+Nordschleife)

Sorry for OT .. what was the topic? ... ah yes, the 5.0 is that car to kick bmw´s **** on the track

whats the mood at the ring like considering the uncertainty of its future due to those ****bags who are trying to make the next euro-disney out of it.

Open track is still on going? I thought I had read they stopped that when the investment group hit real hard times? If it is still going on that excellent news!!!
Old 4/6/11, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

whats the mood at the ring like considering the uncertainty of its future due to those ****bags who are trying to make the next euro-disney out of it.

Open track is still on going? I thought I had read they stopped that when the investment group hit real hard times? If it is still going on that excellent news!!!
After a lot of rumors about the ring´s future last summer the sun began to rise again. A Europian Commision is investigating now, ´cause of illegal buisiness processes during the construction. The old CEO and parts of his stuff had to go last year.
The new general management started working. They still follow that stupid "disney" thoughts but they also start to keep an "ear" on the hobby and professionell racers, ´cause they noticed that we spend a lot of money over there year for year. (We´re more than 1000 active hobby racers in our forum)

They started a kick-off panel discussion with parts of our internet platform "touristenfahrerforum" where they introduced theirself and told us their targets for the upcoming season. We all hope that the things will go on and find a good end.

Cheers
Old 4/6/11, 11:48 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by Dennis-2011-GT
After a lot of rumors about the ring´s future last summer the sun began to rise again. A Europian Commision is investigating now, ´cause of illegal buisiness processes during the construction. The old CEO and parts of his stuff had to go last year.
The new general management started working. They still follow that stupid "disney" thoughts but they also start to keep an "ear" on the hobby and professionell racers, ´cause they noticed that we spend a lot of money over there year for year. (We´re more than 1000 active hobby racers in our forum)

They started a kick-off panel discussion with parts of our internet platform "touristenfahrerforum" where they introduced theirself and told us their targets for the upcoming season. We all hope that the things will go on and find a good end.

Cheers

Its great to hear that you guys (the true enthusiasts) are being heard and are active in your role to preserve this wonderful place that is unlike any where else in the world. Cheers to you mate. Thanks on behalf of our foriegn friends who have not (yet) experienced it for ourselves. I am planning a trip in 2013 to the 'Ring (not with my car) and the Goodwood Festival of speed . I sent you a friend request, lets keep in touch
Old 4/6/11, 11:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope that if I DO end up owning an M car, I'm not a jack-wagon. Of course if any of you guys saw me in the pictures of the AMG event, I might fit the profile.
Old 4/6/11, 11:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I hope that if I DO end up owning an M car, I'm not a jack-wagon. Of course if any of you guys saw me in the pictures of the AMG event, I might fit the profile.
True
Old 4/6/11, 11:57 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

there is NOTHING wrong with BMW's etc, they are AMAZING cars. I would do just about anything for a new BMW 1M in orange or black. And some classic BMW's and Merc's make me very excited in my manly parts

Its just the high volume of sterotypical owners that **** me off
Old 4/6/11, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there is NOTHING wrong with BMW's etc, they are AMAZING cars. I would do just about anything for a new BMW 1M in orange or black. And some classic BMW's and Merc's make me very excited in my manly parts

Yeah, I know. That's what sucks about owning one too. Maybe I can convince my wife to take Euro delivery on a 1M Coupe. Hmmmmm.

I have to say, I haven't spent any time on a real race track unless I was on foot. The Autocross that was set up by the AMG personnel was a lot of fun and I really felt at home doing things like this. I may not be a great driver but I like to think I am ok at least and I really would love to explore my options in the future, hopefully in road course.
Old 4/6/11, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Exactly -- I'm generally more euro-focused in my tastes as well, but like the good old American muscle. Never had a Mustang til now!
Would be happy to own any one of those, but would never buy any new (they're just too proud of themselves, charge way too much) and would drive it like it's meant to be.

Bought my wife a used Audi S4 (winter/snow car for me, too), hope to get her to the track soon, as well. But paid less than half the price for it and only 4 years old! True sign they're not worth what they charge, and you're a fool to pay the full price.