Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

new mustang advice, quieting 600-700rwhp possible?

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/23, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new mustang advice, quieting 600-700rwhp possible?

Recently bought a 2012 the owner went all the way with... rousch supercharger 74mm pulley, 2017 long block, tuned, bbk long tubes, 2.75" all the way from headers to MBRP installer series catback, tuned by Levin motorsports 600+rwhp on 93 over 700 on e85. no cats of course.

Is there any quieting it down? It sounds downright nasty I'd think it was straight piped if I didn't know better. Ive heard some straight piped coyotes that sounded like *** but honesty this setup doesn't have that too loud sound too it... its just excessively loud for street use. Sounds ****ing amazing when you step on it though and drone is almost non existent at highway speeds.

What would be the best way to quiet it down a bit without losing the amazing tone it has? Basically anytime i get on it i have to gtfo out of the area bc it can easily be heard for a mile and the thing is a cop magnet. That and i live on a backroad and itd be nice to avoid drawing attention when im near home. On boosted applications are there any downsides to a restrictive exhaust other than power loss? I.e. excessive heat or the like. It has a gt500 radiator and air to water intercooler on the blower. Pretty much always sits at 188 F on coolant temp just wasn't sure if it can cause high head/exhaust valve temps.

Was thinking about just adding high flow cats. Not sure how it was setup prior but isnt passing IM readiness on o2 sensor and heater. Not throwing a p0420 despite rear o2 sensor voltage mimicking the upstream in fluctuation. Just a p2237 which comes and goes which I believe is likely an upstream sensor that didnt like e85? Any suggestions on an e85 friendly upstream sensor?

Oh yeah and could use some tire advice as well. I know have cake and eat it... but is there anything close to the traction of 305/30r20 nt05s that will last longer hook when cold ( ie. Without a burnout), not kill me if i get stuck in the rain, and last atleast 5k miles street use? Id actually prefer something in 17" due to cost.its for a 50% of the time daily driver. As is cant even roll into full throttle in 2nd with 331 rear without about losing it. NLays rubber down through 3rd and (4th too I suspect... either that or the fairly new long block (500mi unknown how many 1/4 passes) is burning oil but I doubt it) TC and advancetrac are permanently disabled through the tune. Looking to get them re-enabled.

Last edited by boosted12coyote; 8/13/23 at 12:30 AM.
Old 8/13/23, 08:54 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
I imagine a quality muffler or speed shop could assist you best.
Hellcat owners have a wonderful exhaust note and they are not too loud from the factory at 700+ HP.
Even our stock GT exhaust was ultra quiet. My 420 HP '14 model. was so quiet I ended up getting the GT500 axle backs. So many choices out there and a matter ultra subjective. Your ideal exhaust note might be my worst nightmare, and vice versa.
YouTube has endless videos too and those you can actually hear for yourself.

Last edited by NC14GT; 8/13/23 at 08:56 AM.
Old 8/13/23, 02:17 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by boosted12coyote
Recently bought a 2012 the owner went all the way with... rousch supercharger 74mm pulley, 2017 long block, tuned, bbk long tubes, 2.75" all the way from headers to MBRP installer series catback, tuned by Levin motorsports 600+rwhp on 93 over 700 on e85. no cats of course.

Is there any quieting it down? It sounds downright nasty I'd think it was straight piped if I didn't know better. Ive heard some straight piped coyotes that sounded like *** but honesty this setup doesn't have that too loud sound too it... its just excessively loud for street use. Sounds ****ing amazing when you step on it though and drone is almost non existent at highway speeds.

What would be the best way to quiet it down a bit without losing the amazing tone it has? Basically anytime i get on it i have to gtfo out of the area bc it can easily be heard for a mile and the thing is a cop magnet. That and i live on a backroad and itd be nice to avoid drawing attention when im near home. On boosted applications are there any downsides to a restrictive exhaust other than power loss? I.e. excessive heat or the like. It has a gt500 radiator and air to water intercooler on the blower. Pretty much always sits at 188 F on coolant temp just wasn't sure if it can cause high head/exhaust valve temps.

Was thinking about just adding high flow cats. Not sure how it was setup prior but isnt passing IM readiness on o2 sensor and heater. Not throwing a p0420 despite rear o2 sensor voltage mimicking the upstream in fluctuation. Just a p2237 which comes and goes which I believe is likely an upstream sensor that didnt like e85? Any suggestions on an e85 friendly upstream sensor?

Oh yeah and could use some tire advice as well. I know have cake and eat it... but is there anything close to the traction of 305/30r20 nt05s that will last longer hook when cold ( ie. Without a burnout), not kill me if i get stuck in the rain, and last atleast 5k miles street use? Id actually prefer something in 17" due to cost.its for a 50% of the time daily driver. As is cant even roll into full throttle in 2nd with 331 rear without about losing it. NLays rubber down through 3rd and (4th too I suspect... either that or the fairly new long block (500mi unknown how many 1/4 passes) is burning oil but I doubt it) TC and advancetrac are permanently disabled through the tune. Looking to get them re-enabled.
In my opinion, I wouldn't consider high-flow cats if your concerned with passing IM readiness? if you're not concerned with passing emissions, then I would start out with high flow cats... Otherwise, I would recommend adding resonators if the stock resonators have previously been removed... For your particular long tube setup, I would highly recommend upgrading from your current MBRP exhaust setup to Borla Touring catback exhaust... The Borla Touring mufflers are closest to the stock mufflers, but provide a deeper/throatier tone when compared to stock and are highly recommended for long tube header applications and also for straight-pipe applications as well... Meanwhile, hope you find the info provided as useful...

Old 8/13/23, 10:03 PM

Any input on tires lol?

Im in NC so i get to fail one IM readiness monitor but cannot have any codes that throw the CEL. No tailpipe sniffer or anything just have to trick the computer. Just curious why even bother with high flow cats if you dgaf about emissions? I mean i dont care but ive had enough bs passing inspection with 20% tint. I was just thinking the cat route since is avoid potential bs and quiet it down.

Is fords TC decent or is it like some cars where it just bogs and cuts power? Also thoughts on p305/30r20 pilot Supersports or sport 4s's. Can have a set of the former with an even 7/32 tread shipped to me for under 500 vs 1100 new. Much of an improvement over nt05s especially when a but worn?

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
In my opinion, I wouldn't consider high-flow cats if your concerned with passing IM readiness? if you're not concerned with passing emissions, then I would start out with high flow cats... Otherwise, I would recommend adding resonators if the stock resonators have previously been removed... For your particular long tube setup, I would highly recommend upgrading from your current MBRP exhaust setup to Borla Touring catback exhaust... The Borla Touring mufflers are closest to the stock mufflers, but provide a deeper/throatier tone when compared to stock and are highly recommended for long tube header applications and also for straight-pipe applications as well... Meanwhile, hope you find the info provided as useful...
Old 8/14/23, 03:12 PM

Any input on tires lol?

Im in NC so i get to fail one IM readiness monitor but cannot have any codes that throw the CEL. No tailpipe sniffer or anything just have to trick the computer. Just curious why even bother with high flow cats if you dgaf about emissions? I mean i dont care but ive had enough bs passing inspection with 20% tint. I was just thinking the cat route since is avoid potential bs and quiet it down.

Is fords TC decent or is it like some cars where it just bogs and cuts power? Also thoughts on p305/30r20 pilot Supersports or sport 4s's. Can have a set of the former with an even 7/32 tread shipped to me for under 500 vs 1100 new. Much of an improvement over nt05s especially when a but worn?
Just an FYI: There is only one method that I'm aware of that may prevent throwing the CEL when running cat deletes... But keep this in mind, it is NOT a guarantee... Therefore, using this product is at your own risk... Product link and images for mini-cat 02 simulators is attached below, if interested? Also, on a side note, knowing that your running long tube headers, your options are restricted to either running straight-pipe/cat deletes or high-flow cats anyhow!

http://bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

Images Of Mini-Cat 02 Simulators

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/14/23 at 03:21 PM.
Old 8/15/23, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Its all about the mufflers IMO. Check in with your local midas muffler shop. I would be they have something nice and quiet
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (8/15/23)
Old 8/15/23, 07:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
yeah quieter mufflers is the obvious solution for the loudness issue ... Magnaflow makes some nice rectangular mufflers that are not chambered (no drone) and give a nice smooth tone, just barely louder than stock, might be a good choice for your setup

regarding the tires -- make sure you put them on the widest wheels that will fit, pretty sure that is 11" for your car .... and the Michelin 4S is probably one of the best, though nothing short of a drag radial will likely "hook" when cold, or hot either (even drag radial might not)
NC14GT (8/15/23)
Old 8/15/23, 02:22 PM

I also mentioned mufflers in the previous post response... Borla Touring mufflers, to be exact!
Bert (8/15/23)
Old 8/15/23, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

... Borla Touring mufflers, to be exact!
I think those are very similar to the Magnaflows that I am thinking of ... they look like a chambered muffler, but they are not; they are a "straight through" muffler but the perforated tube inside takes a small jog as it comes in one corner and out the other, and I think that is what contributes to the "smoothness" of the tone it produces ... they were a little too quiet for my otherwise-stock setup, but I think they might be "just right" on a louder set-up like the OP's
m05fastbackGT (8/15/23)
Old 8/15/23, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
I think those are very similar to the Magnaflows that I am thinking of ... they look like a chambered muffler, but they are not; they are a "straight through" muffler but the perforated tube inside takes a small jog as it comes in one corner and out the other, and I think that is what contributes to the "smoothness" of the tone it produces ... they were a little too quiet for my otherwise-stock setup, but I think they might be "just right" on a louder set-up like the OP's
Totally agree, John! Prior to upgrading to my current Borla ATAK mufflers, I ran Borla "S" Type (Stingers) and Magnaflow Street mufflers before that which I still have stored covered up down in my basement.... Needless to say, you're exactly 100% spot on regarding the design of the Magnaflow Street mufflers, as they do indeed feature a straight through designed perforated tube core which does in fact take a small jog as it comes out in one corner and out the other... Despite the fact about the Magnaflow streets producing nearly zero % interior resonance drone, I also found them a bit too quiet for both my stock setup and catted X setups... I also liked the overall tone of my previous Borla "S"type (Stingers) but I could not deal with the amount of drone they produced, so I ended up selling them to one of the forum members here on TMS...

That being said, I also agree that both the Magnaflow Street mufflers and Borla Touring mufflers would make excellent choice options for the OP's louder exhaust setup.

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/15/23 at 06:54 PM.
Bert (8/16/23)
Old 8/23/23, 05:00 AM

What about welding a second pair of 12" passthrough mufflers in front of the axle where a pair of resonators would usually go? I'd basically double up on the current mufflers (13" passthrough) without andding any major restrictions. Unfortunately I can't accomodate anything larger than 12-13" in place of the mufflers (or anywhere else) on this catback and short of the mbrp street series at ~$600 I'm not really wanting to drop the coin on a new catback.

Would a fairly basic exhaust mod like this require a returne (running 13lbs of boost)? I figure the pcm could compensate it but don't really know. Also does anyone know what % ethanol variance the pcm can compensate for with an e85 tune? Just flex fuel at around 70% around here but have been told pump e85 and flex are the same thing basically.

It's really annoying not being able to step on it without turning the head of any cop within several blocks.

Last edited by boosted12coyote; 8/23/23 at 05:01 AM.
Old 8/23/23, 06:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Exhaust changes like adding a muffler are so small that no tune change should be needed ... any difference in performance should be negligible. There are no sensor changes involved.

I don't understand the issue with adding normal mufflers, these exhaust systems were designed to make muffler swaps easy ... but I guess it is because of the modifications that you have already done, which I don't quite follow. I'd probably look into splicing back in the normal over-axle pipe so you can put mufflers in the normal location (behind the axle) using the standard hangers that should already be there.
Old 8/23/23, 06:25 AM

I mean if I have to I will but as far as normal mufflers go theyd have to be rather small. All the name brand quiet mufflers are pretty big. But even if they werent they'd be restrictive given the size. Take magnaflows 28" street muffler, chop it to 13", and then add chambers until it's as quiet as the 28" one... see what I'm saying. I like the idea of the 3" header to tip exhaust the car has with zero areas smaller than 3" diameter or baffles/major restrictions on a boosted engine just looking at it from an elementary physics standpoint. And the more I drive this car the less it scares the ever loving **** out of me, so on the "I care about power" standpoint I've gone from a 1 to maybe a 5 or 6. So lets just say I double up on the flow through mufflers that came with my mbrp race exhaust. Two in series that have zero chambers/baffles. Would that tone it down a lot or is there a reason theres not more info on the forums about this other than people know what they want , loud or quiet. before buying their exhaust? Because if effective at reducing noise, and my assumption that doubling up on passthroughs would be a lot less restrictive than a chambered muffler thats the size of one of those is correct, this is the cheapest route with the least downsides. $100-$200 for a pair of pass-through/glasspacks vs a small chambered mufflers (idk on stock size but I have trouble finding any mufflers this small even glasspacks) vs 1k+ on a catback.

Plenty of threads about removing resonators, none about replacing them with mufflers.

QUOTE=Bert;7077997]Exhaust changes like adding a muffler are so small that no tune change should be needed ... any difference in performance should be negligible. There are no sensor changes involved.

I don't understand the issue with adding normal mufflers, these exhaust systems were designed to make muffler swaps easy ... but I guess it is because of the modifications that you have already done, which I don't quite follow. I'd probably look into splicing back in the normal over-axle pipe so you can put mufflers in the normal location (behind the axle) using the standard hangers that should already be there.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by boosted12coyote; 8/23/23 at 06:30 AM.
Old 8/23/23, 08:59 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Has Anybody Suggested Trying the OEM Mufflers on the Car! Without Cats They Would Still Be Pretty Rowdy. Usually Find Those on the Cheap! Maybe Original Owner Still Has??? If Not Go To Next car Show & Chat up 2011-2014 Coyote Owners and See If They Have Originals They Would Part With! Just a Thought!

Mgb,

KC
m05fastbackGT (8/23/23)
Old 8/23/23, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Has Anybody Suggested Trying the OEM Mufflers on the Car! ...
yeah we have made similar suggestions, but apparently that is too easy
Old 8/23/23, 09:10 AM

Well Perhaps This Underside Shot of a Boss 302 Will Help in the Planning! Also 2012 Ford Exhaust Pdf.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2012ExhaustPdf.pdf (1.94 MB, 23 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/23/23 at 09:23 AM.
m05fastbackGT (8/23/23)
Old 8/23/23, 01:11 PM

What about welding a second pair of 12" passthrough mufflers in front of the axle where a pair of resonators would usually go? I'd basically double up on the current mufflers (13" passthrough) without andding any major restrictions. Unfortunately I can't accomodate anything larger than 12-13" in place of the mufflers (or anywhere else) on this catback and short of the mbrp street series at ~$600 I'm not really wanting to drop the coin on a new catback.

Would a fairly basic exhaust mod like this require a returne (running 13lbs of boost)? I figure the pcm could compensate it but don't really know. Also does anyone know what % ethanol variance the pcm can compensate for with an e85 tune? Just flex fuel at around 70% around here but have been told pump e85 and flex are the same thing basically.

It's really annoying not being able to step on it without turning the head of any cop within several blocks.
Then your only other options are either glass packs, resonators or universal mufflers... If interested, links have been provided below from Vibrant Performance, Borla Exhaust, Thrush Exhaust, Magnaflow Exhaust and DynoMax Performance Exhaust....

https://vibrantperformance.com/bottl...onators-v1250/
https://www.borla.com/products/universal-mufflers/proxs
https://www.borla.com/products/unive...lers/specialty
https://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffle...spack-muffler/
https://www.magnaflow.com/collection...rmance-muffler
https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ult...round-mufflers

Old 8/23/23, 01:27 PM

Good Ole Rocky!

Exhaustive Research!

Mgb,

KC
m05fastbackGT (8/23/23)
Old 8/23/23, 02:33 PM

I mean if I have to I will but as far as normal mufflers go theyd have to be rather small. All the name brand quiet mufflers are pretty big. But even if they werent they'd be restrictive given the size. Take magnaflows 28" street muffler, chop it to 13", and then add chambers until it's as quiet as the 28" one... see what I'm saying. I like the idea of the 3" header to tip exhaust the car has with zero areas smaller than 3" diameter or baffles/major restrictions on a boosted engine just looking at it from an elementary physics standpoint. And the more I drive this car the less it scares the ever loving **** out of me, so on the "I care about power" standpoint I've gone from a 1 to maybe a 5 or 6. So lets just say I double up on the flow through mufflers that came with my mbrp race exhaust. Two in series that have zero chambers/baffles. Would that tone it down a lot or is there a reason theres not more info on the forums about this other than people know what they want , loud or quiet. before buying their exhaust? Because if effective at reducing noise, and my assumption that doubling up on passthroughs would be a lot less restrictive than a chambered muffler thats the size of one of those is correct, this is the cheapest route with the least downsides. $100-$200 for a pair of pass-through/glasspacks vs a small chambered mufflers (idk on stock size but I have trouble finding any mufflers this small even glasspacks) vs 1k+ on a catback.

Plenty of threads about removing resonators, none about replacing them with mufflers.

QUOTE=Bert;7077997]Exhaust changes like adding a muffler are so small that no tune change should be needed ... any difference in performance should be negligible. There are no sensor changes involved.

I don't understand the issue with adding normal mufflers, these exhaust systems were designed to make muffler swaps easy ... but I guess it is because of the modifications that you have already done, which I don't quite follow. I'd probably look into splicing back in the normal over-axle pipe so you can put mufflers in the normal location (behind the axle) using the standard hangers that should already be there.
Also, just an FYI: Only when adding long tube headers requires an ECM retune.... When removing the catalytic converters, the rear 02 sensors require disabling in order to prevent the CEL, but does not affect the operation of the vehicle in a negative manner and therefore does not require a retune for functionality purposes... In other words, OP, when upgrading from the stock mufflers to aftermarket performance mufflers, they do not require a retune because the amount of airflow travels outward in only one direction after the front and rear 02 sensors... However, when changing the amount of airflow in front of the 02 sensors, such as upgrading to long tube headers, this will unfortunately require a retune of the ECM due to changing/increasing both the distance and amount of airflow in front of the 02 sensors which are then able to measure/meter the amount of airflow that is being sent to the ECM...

In the meantime, hope the info provided is both useful and clarifies any potential misinterpretations...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/23/23 at 03:53 PM.
Old 8/23/23, 05:08 PM

Also, just an FYI: Only when adding long tube headers requires an ECM retune.... When removing the catalytic converters, the rear 02 sensors require disabling in order to prevent the CEL, but does not affect the operation of the vehicle in a negative manner and therefore does not require a retune for functionality purposes... In other words, OP, when upgrading from the stock mufflers to aftermarket performance mufflers, they do not require a retune because the amount of airflow travels outward in only one direction after the front and rear 02 sensors... However, when changing the amount of airflow in front of the 02 sensors, such as upgrading to long tube headers, this will unfortunately require a retune of the ECM due to changing/increasing both the distance and amount of airflow in front of the 02 sensors which are then able to measure/meter the amount of airflow that is being sent to the ECM...

In the meantime, hope the info provided is both useful and clarifies any potential misinterpretations...
Never thought about it pre vs post upstream sensor but it makes sense. Funny thing about the downstreams is they are hooked up and outputting an oscillating voltage akin to upstream sensors as they would if you had bad/no cats and didn't mess with them. Not throwing a code or behaving in a manner akin to downstreams with functional cats. They basically mimicking the upstream looking almost like a sine wave if you watch the voltage on a live data graph. I'd imagine dummy sensors would atleast act like a sensor that's downstream of dome functional cats.

Then your only other options are either glass packs, resonators or universal mufflers... If interested, links have been provided below from Vibrant Performance, Borla Exhaust, Thrush Exhaust, Magnaflow Exhaust and DynoMax Performance Exhaust....

https://vibrantperformance.com/bottl...onators-v1250/
https://www.borla.com/products/universal-mufflers/proxs
https://www.borla.com/products/unive...lers/specialty
https://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffle...spack-muffler/
https://www.magnaflow.com/collection...rmance-muffler
https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ult...round-mufflers
Yeah universal is what I was thinking. Been eyeing these which seem to be a similar design and size ro the MBRP race mufflers on the car. Was thinking about just adding these in front of the axle and behind the X pipe and leaving the MBRP's in the back. Edit: appears the flowfx are basically hollow glasspacks, so maybe something more akin to the magnaflow with steel wool packing or the pro series that's a straight through baffled design ( like these the best)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-13012100

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14159

Https://www.americanmuscle.com/flowmaster-mustang-flowfx-centercenter-muffler-3-inch-71419.html

Last edited by boosted12coyote; 8/23/23 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: new mustang advice, quieting 600-700rwhp possible?