Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New to Muscle Cars - First Modification Questions

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/14, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Muscle Cars - First Modification Questions

Hi Folks,
I've seen quite a few threads about modifications, but I'm new to muscle cars and really don't know where to start. I have a base v6 auto mustang and really don't want to break the bank. I was thinking about a performance tune, but don't want to void warranties or anything like that. While I know that each has their own opinion as to what are the "best mods" for them, I should tell you that my Mustang is an around-town driver, as my wife has a Civic Hybrid for road trips. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
-Adam

Last edited by Virginia_Mustang; 1/26/14 at 09:45 AM.
Old 1/26/14, 09:57 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First questions are, what are you wanting from the car? What do you want from the mods?
Old 1/26/14, 09:58 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car. This question has been asked numerous times, and by performing a simple search with terms like "first modifications", etc you will undoubtedly find many answers.

It's all personal preference... But for me a simple exhaust is always good.
Old 1/26/14, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
First questions are, what are you wanting from the car? What do you want from the mods?
I would say that I want to car to be quick on the 0 - 60 times. I really don't care about high speeds, as I won't be doing any racing. I just like the "launch" feel when I hit the gas.
Old 1/26/14, 11:52 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Virginia_Mustang
I would say that I want to car to be quick on the 0 - 60 times. I really don't care about high speeds, as I won't be doing any racing. I just like the "launch" feel when I hit the gas.
Best mod for a stronger launch on an automatic Mustang is a high stall converter, it's pretty pricey though. Probably looking at $1500 or more installed. And you would need a new aftermarket tuner and tune to adjust the pcm to it.

Next down would be a lower ratio rear gear, should be able to get that done for $500-$750 but it would also require the tuner and tune so that the transmission will work correctly with the new ratio.

Tuner and tune runs from $380 and up.
Old 1/26/14, 12:18 PM
Banned

please don't do exhaust on a v6. they sound horribly farty.
Old 1/26/14, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Respectfully, I have to completely disagree with this. The right aftermarket exhaust can and does sound amazing on the 3.7's with a nice rumble and aggressive tone.
Old 1/26/14, 01:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Virginia_Mustang
Hi Folks,
I've seen quite a few threads about modifications, but I'm new to muscle cars and really don't know where to start. I have a base v6 auto mustang and really don't want to break the bank. I was thinking about a performance tune, but don't want to void warranties or anything like that. While I know that each has their own opinion as to what are the "best mods" for them, I should tell you that my Mustang is an around-town driver, as my wife has a Civic Hybrid for road trips. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
-Adam
Congrats bro on the your new mustang and welcome. You had mentioned in this post you were thinking about a tune but you don't want to void warranties or anything like that. Based upon that key statement " Don't want to void warranties or anything". Get performance tuner out of your head and forget about it. In fact you really need too forget any performance modifications for now because you will run the risk of loosing warranties.

Based upon your WARRANTY wants, keep with appearance mods only that way your warranties will keep in tact. The only performance mod I would say is safe for your warranty would be an aftermarket exhaust and that's really for sound and not performance.

Anything from gears, tuners, CAI, headers, throttle bodies, etc, can cause your warranty to be voided by the dealership should there be an issue. You could have a Ford dealership install 3:31 gears for around 1,000 dollars and that should keep all warranties good. But remember , Ford will only install 3:31 gears and not 3:55 and up. If you get 3:55 or up in gears your back to needing a performance tuner and you know how that story ends. Lol..

Keep with just appearance mods for now until your no longer worried about warranty issues. Hope this helps..

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/26/14 at 01:35 PM.
Old 1/26/14, 01:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I think the GT500s on the V6 sound good. Other than that, I don't really like any of the current offerings. Surprisingly, the Flowmasters sound pretty good too, but similar to the GT500s, so I'd just go that route.
Old 1/26/14, 01:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

I think the GT500s on the V6 sound good. Other than that, I don't really like any of the current offerings. Surprisingly, the Flowmasters sound pretty good too, but similar to the GT500s, so I'd just go that route.
I have Flowmaster Force II's and love my exhaust tone. No fart can there. Not even close!
Old 1/26/14, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ford Racing Mufflers sound real good on the V6...a little pricey but to me they sounded the best of all the offerings for the V6....
Old 1/26/14, 01:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I have to agree.
Old 1/26/14, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

It will never sound like a V8 but here is a clip of the type I put on:

Old 1/26/14, 03:56 PM
GTR Member

How did this discussion degrade to a debate over exhaust sound?

That has NOTHING to do with the OP's question since the exhaust sound won't make the car accelerate any faster.
Old 1/26/14, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, but it will sound faster!!!!
Old 1/26/14, 04:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
How did this discussion degrade to a debate over exhaust sound?

That has NOTHING to do with the OP's question since the exhaust sound won't make the car accelerate any faster.
Absolutely nothing other than Diva stated not to get an aftermarket exhaust because they sound like a fart can. Lol. The original question really has limited answers because the OP wants to keep the warranty in tact. Performance mods go against that very concept. If you want your car to go faster either buy a 5.0 or potentially say goodbye too the warranty too mod a 3.7. You got to pay too play.
A 3:31 gear install by a Ford dealership would be the OP's best option in order too keep his factory warranty with no worries and still give more acceleration off the line.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/26/14 at 04:21 PM.
Old 1/26/14, 07:21 PM
Cobra Member

OP, find out what your dealer is comfortable with as far as performance mods go and you'll be fine warranty wise. Having them install 3.31 gears is a waste (cost vs gain). Also search is your friend and there is countless info across many forums covering the same subject. Lastly my Mag streets have a deep rumble slightly louder than GT500. Also I think most would agree that Borla axle-backs sound awesome on the 6. the5 a member on here has a sixxer that sounds pretty good (Borla Atak axle back & shorty headers) it's all about the setup you choose but there are plenty of good setups.
Old 1/26/14, 08:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
OP, find out what your dealer is comfortable with as far as performance mods go and you'll be fine warranty wise. Having them install 3.31 gears is a waste (cost vs gain). Also search is your friend and there is countless info across many forums covering the same subject. Lastly my Mag streets have a deep rumble slightly louder than GT500. Also I think most would agree that Borla axle-backs sound awesome on the 6. the5 a member on here has a sixxer that sounds pretty good (Borla Atak axle back & shorty headers) it's all about the setup you choose but there are plenty of good setups.
I totally agree that spending 1,000 dollars for 3:31 gear install is a waste but based upon the OP not wanting to mess with the warranty and wanted faster 0-60 mph, that is their best opinion. Unless the OP gets the dealership to put in writing , ( good luck with that) performance mods strongly may void a portion of the warranty. That's the price of doing business. I tuned my car after 5,000 miles and clearly if the transmission blew up I assumed the risk of possibly loosing my warranty to have it fixed or replaced.

Now with that said I was confident AM/Bama would of stepped up and not left me hanging if their tune caused the part to fail. Granted, people will say that's debatable but none the less I believed AM would of done the right thing and still believe that.

I think the reality for the OP he will find is if you want a guarantee for the warranty there just aren't performance options out there. One will have to wait to mod until the warranty period is over. Good luck with that. Modding is a freaking drug. Its like crack. Lol. I started out with Flowmaster axle backs and that's all she wrote for me. I was hooked. I shorty followed up with a performance tune and then CAI. Shortly after that 3:73 gears, one piece aluminum driveshaft, long tube headers, off road x pipe and Boss strut tower brace. Its like crack I tell ya. Lol. My wife wants to kill me (lmao).

I have been running performance tunes for over 30,000 miles and not a single issue. Let's not forget I had my windows tinted, purchased Ford racing calipers, painted the calipers, plasti dip spoiler, plasti dip deck lid magnetic panel, plasti dip front pony, installed Boss stripping on sides and hood. Its freaking crack OP once you start modding. Lmao.
Old 1/26/14, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most people are familiar with "pay-to-play". And while that is true, that coupled with the "fear-of-voiding-warranty" shouldn't scare you away from simple bolt on modifications.

While the 4:10 gears would give you a substantial increase in acceleration, they do result in ****ty gas mileage, cost-prohibitive to install, and could possibly void your warranty should something arise.

But I see no harm in going to your local dealer to ask them about their stance on simple bolt-ons.
The right tire set-up, with a CAI, throttle body spacer and axle back exhaust should keep you happy for now.
And if you happen to have a huge mechanical failure, Ford has to PROVE that your mod caused the failure. If you install a Cold Air Intake and suddenly your rear axle snaps from you digging in at a stop light, I don't think they can void your warranty based on that alone.

Like other suggested, search is your friend. Take advice with a grain of salt. Take your time. And just enjoy your beautiful new Stang!

Welcome to the forums!
Regards, Joey .K
Old 1/26/14, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I totally agree that spending 1,000 dollars for 3:31 gear install is a waste but based upon the OP not wanting to mess with the warranty and wanted faster 0-60 mph, that is their best opinion. Unless the OP gets the dealership to put in writing , ( good luck with that) performance mods strongly may void a portion of the warranty. That's the price of doing business. I tuned my car after 5,000 miles and clearly if the transmission blew up I assumed the risk of possibly loosing my warranty to have it fixed or replaced. Now with that said I was confident AM/Bama would of stepped up and not left me hanging if their tune caused the part to fail. Granted, people will say that's debatable but none the less I believed AM would of done the right thing and still believe that. I think the reality for the OP he will find is if you want a guarantee for the warranty there just aren't performance options out there. One will have to wait to mod until the warranty period is over. Good luck with that. Modding is a freaking drug. Its like crack. Lol. I started out with Flowmaster axle backs and that's all she wrote for me. I was hooked. I shorty followed up with a performance tune and then CAI. Shortly after that 3:73 gears, one piece aluminum driveshaft, long tube headers, off road x pipe and Boss strut tower brace. Its like crack I tell ya. Lol. My wife wants to kill me (lmao). I have been running performance tunes for over 30,000 miles and not a single issue. Let's not forget I had my windows tinted, purchased Ford racing calipers, painted the calipers, plasti dip spoiler, plasti dip deck lid magnetic panel, plasti dip front pony, installed Boss stripping on sides and hood. Its freaking crack OP once you start modding. Lmao.

Crack indeed! I've plastidipped my spoiler, all my emblems, all my side markers, hood vents, front pony, interior speaker grills. Added a cold air intake, vinyled my interior, new stereo installed, hopefully new axle back exhaust or exhaust cutouts. I can't help it!

Quick Reply: New to Muscle Cars - First Modification Questions