4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Need your opinion on 2011 MT82 repair.

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/12, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your opinion on 2011 MT82 repair.

I have been working with my dealership for well over 6 months now and the service manager who is my Dad's cousin has been trying to get me a new transmission due to the screaming banshee whine mine makes.

Especially since Ford put new phosphate treated gears in the newer MT82's to reduce the whine I feel there is justification to get it replaced.

The service manager called me and said that Ford will not replace the transmission without them using the Cost Cap tool. So that means tearing down the transmission and determining if it is cheaper to repair or replace.

What makes me nervous is if they tear it down and just repair it I have never had luck with repaired transmissions and am afraid I will be spending the next couple months trying to get things right.

Would you stick with the whiney transmission or take the gamble and see if they will repiar it with the new gears or replace the whole thing and if they do repair hope it runs well.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 4/24/12, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use your warranty - you paid for it!
Old 4/24/12, 08:27 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Well once they go into it, they usually don't replace them. They don't make repairs and then replace the whole unit because the repair didn't resolve the problem. That's so they can hang the costs on the dealer for a comeback.
Old 4/24/12, 10:37 AM
GT Member

I don't know how bad it's whining but if you feel it's a problem, which you obviously do or you wouldn't be here. Then my vote is to bring it in to Ford and let them fix it. You paid for a warranty so put them to work until your happy. All the technicians/service advisors can do is follow Ford protocol. It sucks but that's the way it is unfortunately.

If it's a livable whine then just turn the music up or get a louder exhaust. It's what I did to drone out the whine my T-5 had in my old fox, but she also didn't have a warranty.

Goodluck!

Bill
Old 4/24/12, 12:45 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech

What makes me nervous is if they tear it down and just repair it I have never had luck with repaired transmissions and am afraid I will be spending the next couple months trying to get things right.
What's wrong with a Dealer repaired trans? Its highly unlikely there is anything wrong with the case, mainshaft, numerous other parts - esp since Ford has identified the problematic areas and I know of no reports of defective case or mainshaft, etc.

Use your warranty until it is right. And if you haven't brought Deysha in the loop yet, you're late! Dad's cousin or not - she'll get stuff copied to corporate.
Old 4/24/12, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I'd take cdynaco's advice and bring Deysha into it if you haven't already. Also, the warranty is worthless if you don't use it. I'd send it in and have them tear it down. Sure, it's possible it won't be any better, but it's also possible it will be. If it's a simple fix, I'd rather find out. Make them honor your warranty. It will put you without the Mustang for a while, but I'd think that's worth the peace of mind you might get with a (relatively) noiseless transmission.
Old 4/25/12, 11:52 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech
I have been working with my dealership for well over 6 months now and the service manager who is my Dad's cousin has been trying to get me a new transmission due to the screaming banshee whine mine makes.
Especially since Ford put new phosphate treated gears in the newer MT82's to reduce the whine I feel there is justification to get it replaced.
The service manager called me and said that Ford will not replace the transmission without them using the Cost Cap tool. So that means tearing down the transmission and determining if it is cheaper to repair or replace.
Hello Grifftech,

I'd like to escalate this to the Customer Service Manager assigned to your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Use your warranty until it is right. And if you haven't brought Deysha in the loop yet, you're late! Dad's cousin or not - she'll get stuff copied to corporate.
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I'd take cdynaco's advice and bring Deysha into it if you haven't already.
Thank you for the mention, guys!

Deysha
Old 4/25/12, 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Take it in. Ford will replace the transmission if the damage is bad enough, and the cost to repair too high. If not, you still have a transmission that does not whine. Remember the drive train is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles!

Since a relative is involved I would have a lot of faith in the repair being done right, if not you can always come back to Deysha, our angel at Ford, and have her escalate it.
Old 4/25/12, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

Dude, you paid a crap load of money for that car. If the car isn't perfect to your standards you bring it to them and make them fix it regardless how long it takes. And if you don't have another vehicle you make them give you a rental....that will speed them up a bit. And if they dont fix it right, bring it back, as many times as it takes. Get your money's worth man.
Old 4/25/12, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your guardian angel Deysha is on it now, don't worry, she will be sure it is made right!
Old 4/26/12, 02:40 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Take it in. Ford will replace the transmission if the damage is bad enough, and the cost to repair too high. If not, you still have a transmission that does not whine. Remember the drive train is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles!
Since a relative is involved I would have a lot of faith in the repair being done right, if not you can always come back to Deysha, our angel at Ford, and have her escalate it.
Originally Posted by redneb
Your guardian angel Deysha is on it now, don't worry, she will be sure it is made right!
Aweeeee! Thank you, guys!!

Deysha
Old 4/26/12, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on my whiney unit, they did the cost-cap and ended up doing a replacement from the scoring found inside.
Old 4/30/12, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I took it in today and got a Ford Fusion loaner while they work on it. Quite a difference driving that But while the car is in I am also having them look at the idle because once it warms up and I let it idle there are times it will almost die then the engine revs back up real fast then back to idle. It seems to bounce around a lot. Plus there is a crack in the leather driver's side seat that is opening up, having them look at that. And having them look into the squeaky and popping rear suspension noise. So I figure just get it looked at in one fell swoop.