Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Need you guys to help me make a decision.

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/13, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need you guys to help me make a decision.

Ok, I am going insane. The closer I get to the reality of owning one of these cars the more my budget shrinks.

Back story:

I owned a beautiful 2010 F-150 which I loved, but money was getting tight and I needed more utility so it had to go. I now have an '03 GMC 2500hd 8.1l with a plow that is in really great shape, I get more comments about it than I used to about my f150. So there is a recent example of having something expensive and new, loving it, but being 90% as happy and way better off financially with the gently used.

So things have kind of 180'd for me financially and I'd like to get myself a spring -> fall DD. I made so many grand proclamations about how I'll "never do that again" with buying brand new and throwing $10g out the window, but the problem is... I can afford it.

The cars in question:

Ordering a 2014, SGM, GT prem, track pack, Recaro, car. Perfect, I LOVE the 2013 taillights and the more enthusiast oriented option packaging. It is "the" car.

~or~

http://www.usedcarswestbrook.com/por...173776-135058a

Haven't been to see it yet, dealership said the carfax showed a minor rear end accident. Which, if truly minor and well repaired, is only more bargaining position for me. For the sake of this thread lets assume that is the case.

The more I look at it, the more I see this as the more sensible option. I will very rarely, if ever, get to track the car and it is being bought to be a grand tourer. LOVE the glass roof, as will the wife.

If I can be 90% as happy with this car much like I am with the GMC, then I really think I'll be in a better place. However, $28k is still a lot of scratch for something that may not be exactly what I wanted. I want to be happy enough to keep this car for a good long while.

Also, I can have that one now...

halp
Old 1/5/13, 02:37 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
If you really prefer the 13, I would hold out a little longer and find a used 13. Doesn't take long to start finding slightly used ones or at least demo units. I agree that I wouldn't buy one brand new. Let someone else take the $$ hit. The 11 is a really clean looking ride but its not exactly what you're looking for and you will regret not going for the one you want.

Second idea. Buy the 11 for a good price with intentions of upgrading to the 13 in a year or two. Shouldn't be upside down if you buy it right.
Old 1/5/13, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

While you might be saving a few bucks with the used car, which is great looking, it is not what you said you wanted.
Secondly, I am always a little leary of used cars, especially sports cars since they will or have been abused at some point in thier life.
Third, if you plan on keeping the new car for any length of time, the warranty and peace of mind knowing that you are the only one who has abused this car is great. I tend to keep my cars for at least a decade so buying new is always my preference.
I vote buy new and get exactly what you want.
Old 1/5/13, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Second idea. Buy the 11 for a good price with intentions of upgrading to the 13 in a year or two. Shouldn't be upside down if you buy it right.
I had that thought as well. Totally take somebody's Boss off their hands in a yer or two...

Couple more details. I live in Maine, the muscle car driving season is somewhat shorter than other parts of the country (depending on your priorities I suppose) so this car may see at most 10k a year. I'm averaging 7k right now (I fly to work 3 weeks on 3 weeks off in case you were wondering). The '14 is going to be nearly $40k one way or another, and Maine is a b!tch about excise tax, big savings going to the '11

I'd really like to hear from someone whose spent time with a normal car vs a track pack car, it's pretty tough to do better than factory $$ wise for those mods.
Old 1/5/13, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Sidebar; does the '11 have LED's in the tails?
Old 1/5/13, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fullahead

I had that thought as well. Totally take somebody's Boss off their hands in a yer or two...

Couple more details. I live in Maine, the muscle car driving season is somewhat shorter than other parts of the country (depending on your priorities I suppose) so this car may see at most 10k a year. I'm averaging 7k right now (I fly to work 3 weeks on 3 weeks off in case you were wondering). The '14 is going to be nearly $40k one way or another, and Maine is a b!tch about excise tax, big savings going to the '11

I'd really like to hear from someone whose spent time with a normal car vs a track pack car, it's pretty tough to do better than factory $$ wise for those mods.
It's a mustang. Not a Lincoln. The newer body is a very comfortable car though. You won't feel any negative effects from a track pack or even a Boss suspension. It won't beat you up either way. Best advise is go test drive one. You will either like it or not. Simple enough.
Old 1/5/13, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
It's a mustang. Not a Lincoln. The newer body is a very comfortable car though. You won't feel any negative effects from a track pack or even a Boss suspension. It won't beat you up either way. Best advise is go test drive one. You will either like it or not. Simple enough.
Oh no I get that, I'm not worried about ride quality (my current DD is a 3/4ton with the torsion bars cranked, I know about rough rides) I was speaking from a driving enjoyment/performance perspective. If its not "wow this is '13 track pack is a total animal compared to my old '11" type of thing then I may just go after this car.

I don't really have any opportunities to test drive different cars, there's about 5 new ones in the whole state, none are track pack or even brembo afaik. I've driven a '13 GT/CS and enjoyed it, I'd have to drive 4hrs to nh/mass to find anything significantly different.

That's why I'm looking for insight here.
Old 1/5/13, 03:30 PM

Power won't be much different. Handling a little better with the options but I don't believe you will be blown away by the comparison. The cars really didn't change except for slight styling cues. And remember that the aftermarket world is huge for mustangs so the sky is the limit if you want to personalize or upgrade anything.
Old 1/5/13, 08:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope. Only 13 has LED
Old 1/5/13, 09:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tail Lights have been LED since 2010 ... they were restyled for 2013.

That 2011 is incredibly overpriced. Get a late build 2012 if you want to go with the previous generation 5.0 - 2011 and early 2012 still had some issues from the factory.
Old 1/5/13, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmhines

That 2011 is incredibly overpriced. Get a late build 2012 if you want to go with the previous generation 5.0 - 2011 and early 2012 still had some issues from the factory.
What is considered a late build?
Old 1/5/13, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

LED's have been in the tail lights since 2010.
Old 1/6/13, 01:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fake
LED's have been in the tail lights since 2010.
Ok, that's what I thought.
Old 1/6/13, 01:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dmhines

Overpriced yes, but not incredibly so. When you look at the other cars in my reigon in the sub $30k range that one lines up pretty well. Also the edmunds value is in line with it. I could be happy with $26.5 out the door on that car.

Can you speak more specifically about these issues? I remember reading early on that some 5.0s had ticking noise issues from the VVT but that's about all I remember. Also, when in 2012 were the engines revised? I was under the impression that there was no significant change until the horsepower bump for 2013, even that just being programming.
Old 1/6/13, 02:04 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sales have been slower than a stock camaro as of late for ford on the mustang as there have been a lot of hold outs anticipating the 2015 model.. There should be "some wiggle room" on price there. Pros vs cons:
Pros to 2013: brand new! New warranty. Not a scratch on it, perfect for show car quality and upgrading.. You get the tail lights you like. depending on the pckg, might be some Interior accent/tech upgrades over the 2011. Cons: more $ up front + faster depreciation, if its a DD, it's gonna get dirty/used anyway, so don't get too attached to the new car smell.
In regards to the 2011, pros: less $$, pre-owned warranties can be better than new warranty. Cons: if it was in an accident you wont get a CPO warranty, it doesn't have the tail lights you want, And the big con for me.. "Light rear end damage" that's like dating a girl with herpes.. But she takes her medication for it! You really wanna get involved with that? B/c even tho you didn't wreck it, that won't matter if you turn around to sell/trade in a few yrs. It'll still show it had an accident and now 2+ owners = faster depreciation. Just some insight for you..
I can tell you, I was on a budget when I bought my '05 in '09 as a "toy" just a few mods I told my wife.. 4 yrs later and another 20k + invested, I'd say I've become a bit obsessed.
Buy with your heart, but negotiate with your head.
Old 1/6/13, 09:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can afford it you should get exactly the car you want. No regrets that way. Life is too short.
Old 1/6/13, 12:01 PM
V6 Member

Like you, I was looking at new vs used a cpl years ago. Due to finances I chose a super clean used 07 over a 2011 5.0. Car had clean carfax and was well cared for. I love it, but its not exactly what I wanted. I now find myself ready to trade it in for a 2014 and get everything just how I want it. I say buy the new one and not have any regrets or "wish it had" items.
Old 1/6/13, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unless I knew who owned it and that it was well maintained and not beat to hell, I would never buy a used sports car....
Old 1/6/13, 01:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
When you go to sell the car & carfax shows it was in an accident, you will lose the same bargaining power you gained when you bought it. Others may be more picky than you and nit even consider buying it because it has been in an accident.

Dealers are LIARS & will tell you ANY lie to sell you the car. A dealer's idea of a minor accident & your idea are most likely very different.
Old 1/6/13, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

The dealer will tell you black is white and up is down to make a sale. They will always prey on your passion for a vehicle they have on their lot. Some are better than others at prying money out of your wallet.

The link you posted doesn't seem like a good deal at all. Offer them 4k under the current proposed price and be ready to walk away if they don't budge.

If you really love the new '13 LED tails, then be patient and you can get what you want in the spring. There's always a new deal coming down the pike.

It's so so so hard to be patient, and wait for the best deal. So think with your head and not your heart and you will be better off.

I drove bleep-boxes for 20 years so my wife could have a brand new car/minivan to be our reliable family hauler. Finally after paying my dues all those years, I got to order a Boss 302. Everyone's situation is different, but you really have to try and remove emotion out of the decision if in a year or 2 your finances could change for the worse.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Need you guys to help me make a decision.