2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Navigation and other Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/10, 07:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation and other Question(s)

My dad is about to order a GT500 to replace his 07GT and he has a few questions that I haven't been able to find out.

1. With the nav system, how do map updates work? How much are the updates going to cost, and how often would they come out? He likes the clean look of the electronics package, but since he already has a portable nav, he's not so sure he needs it.

2. The illuminated door sill plates?? what does it say on a non-performance package car? are they standard or is it an option? I'm confused on this because I thought it was standard but doesn't list it on the build sheet, and its an option on the build and price.

3. Sterling Grey with Silver stripes, this is the color he is really leaning towards. Are there any non-press release photos? I see white stripes aren't available with grey, so are all the pictures with what appear to be white really silver stripes?

4. Now for the most important question...How can I convince him to let me drive his car???

Thanks everyone.
Old 8/2/10, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll answer question 1. Once a year an update is available. You can go to www.navteq.com and buy a DVD with updated map data for $200. The manual doesn't say how you run the updater but I'm sure Navteq sends you instructions. You could also call your Ford dealer when the time comes and see if they can update it for you. Maybe they could do it a little cheaper. I got the Electronics Package and I figure I'll probably update the nav data every four or five years.
Old 8/2/10, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Ford force you to update after certain amount of time, say after four years, or is the update optional?
Old 8/2/10, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newpony
Does Ford force you to update after certain amount of time, say after four years, or is the update optional?
I would doubt they force you to update. What if you didn't have the money?

Just as with most navigations if you don't update them then it will just use the old maps which might have roads that no longer exist lol or some new ones which could make things get pretty confusing
Old 8/2/10, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrk1984
2. The illuminated door sill plates?? what does it say on a non-performance package car? are they standard or is it an option? I'm confused on this because I thought it was standard but doesn't list it on the build sheet, and its an option on the build and price.
The illuminated door sill on my 2010 GT500 have SVT, that light up red when the door is open. The only option I have on my car is HID headlights, so I would think this is a standard item.
Old 8/2/10, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newpony
No, that map data is yours to use as long as you want to. Rand McNally may wish you'd buy a new Atlas each year or two but they don't come and take your old one away from you.
Old 8/2/10, 12:04 PM
MOTM Committee Member

4. You don't. You steal the keys while he is asleep
Old 8/2/10, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Check out the features: learn the voice commands, impress your dad, make the car talk, and for sure you will get to take it out for a spin. Remind him about the $200 portable nav unit and that you convinced him to go with the electronics package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DS_...eature=channel - Voice activated Nav system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46eVG...os=b56cFz97XBg - Sirius Sat Radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIrQ...eature=channel - Travel Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWVmZ...eature=channel - Mobile devices

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zomj6...eature=channel - MY KEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxnQ4...eature=related - MY Color

Thank me later.
Old 8/2/10, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

You can wash and wax it and try for a sympathy spin.
Old 8/2/10, 04:52 PM
V6 Member

Thanks everyone.
I guess the biggest thing with the nav unit is that he sees it as just a navigation system, I don't think he cares too much about the other features, that and he will only be driving it once a week.
I have my own 06GT to keep me happy, so I'm not too worried about driving it, but I'm sure he will come around at some point
Old 8/3/10, 09:38 AM
GT Member

#4: yardwork...lots and lots of yardwork...if he was my dad i'd make sure our lawn looked like a golf course....
Old 8/3/10, 03:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tyrrell-Ford P34
#4: yardwork...lots and lots of yardwork...if he was my dad i'd make sure our lawn looked like a golf course....
I have my own house and a baby on the way so that's not happening lol.

He will come around I'm sure.