2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

My stuff came in the mail today (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/12 | 06:47 AM
Cobra Member

You sir, have excellent taste...

I was going to wait to post pix of my mods until I actually have a Mustang to install them, but after seeing your pix, I had to get mine out of the basement, and post my own. What I found amusing was that you got the 750hp shaft, and have the narrower hardwood, and GT. I have the 950hp shaft, wider hardwood, and a Boss. You got me beat on the dining room table though, still have my mom's old oak set that needs refinishing. And you took much nicer pix, I just grabbed my iphone, will use the better camera for the installation.

I ordered mine from Lethal Performance on the 10% off Memorial Day sale, so I got mine for $684 shipped. Here are the specs;

1.1350 front u-joint with flange to mount up to the transmission
2. 3.5” 6061-T6 aluminum rated for 3450ft lbs of torque, custom welded on our auto feed machines
3. New version 300M Spline for the CV mount that is stronger than the rest of the shaft
4. Custom modified High Speed 108mm CV with special boot and grease.
5. Custom conversion plate (corrosion plated) to change from the stock Ford CV to our 108mm version
6. All Hardware included
7. 1 Year Warranty
8. 1000HP Rated
9. Balanced on one of the most sophisticated balancing machines in the industry.
10. With the CV in the rear there is no need to change pinion angle on lowered cars.

Name:  IMG_1091.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  272.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1093.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  199.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1094.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  220.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1096.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  232.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1095.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  218.5 KB

There is a big marketing write up on the DSS web site, but here's the important part;

For the last 6 years we have been chasing an elusive thing, we have been trying to make a driveshaft for the new Mustang (S197) that is not only the strongest shaft out there, but also the most stable shaft when it comes to dealing with the harmonic vibrations that these cars are plagued with. In our opinion these cars were rushed to market with a harmonic vibration in the drive train. This is very obvious as the stock 2-piece 43lb anchor of a driveshaft that came installed in the car to help cure the problem. For those who are not aware, the rear of the factory shaft has a 9lb steel dampener inside of the tube (see picture) helping to make it so tremendously heavy.

I'll be looking forward to your pix of the installed shaft and overall impressions once you have driven it for a while and compare/contrast the before/after.
Old 6/23/12 | 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
What I found amusing was that you got the 750hp shaft, and have the narrower hardwood, and GT. I have the 950hp shaft, wider hardwood, and a Boss.

Ferrari Pal! More Than you can afford.

Hahaha just kidding

Originally Posted by ace72ace
For the last 6 years we have been chasing an elusive thing, we have been trying to make a driveshaft for the new Mustang (S197) that is not only the strongest shaft out there, but also the most stable shaft when it comes to dealing with the harmonic vibrations that these cars are plagued with. In our opinion these cars were rushed to market with a harmonic vibration in the drive train. This is very obvious as the stock 2-piece 43lb anchor of a driveshaft that came installed in the car to help cure the problem. For those who are not aware, the rear of the factory shaft has a 9lb steel dampener inside of the tube (see picture) helping to make it so tremendously heavy.

I'll be looking forward to your pix of the installed shaft and overall impressions once you have driven it for a while and compare/contrast the before/after.
Its funny you say this because i have a slight vibration at highway speeds at 90mph +. Had the tires balanced several different times, and it took most of the vibration out of the steering wheel, but you can still feel it vibrating inside the car. You look over and see the passenger seat slightly vibrating, and feel it in the floorboards. Nothing drastic, but enough for me, being the picky car guy that i am to notice it. I am really hoping the new driveshaft will solve this issue.

Furthermore, i am having the dealer install this piece in order to be able to keep my power train warranty. Wouldnt want anything to happen down the road and then have the dealer deny my warranty because i did the installation instead of them. I will ask to take pictures off the car on the lift to see everything installed though. Hopefully they let me
Old 6/23/12 | 11:17 AM
Cobra Member

Good stuff. I hope your DS cures your vibration issues.
Old 6/23/12 | 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmm a new driveshaft might not be a bad idea since i'm installing a Supercharger?
Old 6/24/12 | 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
Hmm a new driveshaft might not be a bad idea since i'm installing a Supercharger?
Regardless, I would say its a good idea. You will see improvements either way. I would defiantly recommend it for a supercharged application.
Old 6/24/12 | 05:30 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Nice
Old 6/25/12 | 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Shes in

Name:  IMG_2734.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2739.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  55.7 KB

Overall Impressions
Smoother Ride
Smoother Power Delivery
Increased Power and Torque In The Low End
Increased Acceleration
Reduced Drive-train Clunking When Slowing Down or Coming to a Stop

Would I recommend it?

Yes, it's defiantly a buy. Vehicle feels much more refined now. My impressions tell me there may be a slight increase in drive-ability. In 6th gear on the highway, floor it and the car drops to 3d gear right away and just jolts forward. No delay in acceleration.

SHAFTMASTERS has been the best customer service I have ever experienced in the aftermarket parts industry. Very prompt, polite, and courteous. I had sent several emails back and forth with them, and they were always quick to reply and help put. They even sent me additional copies of everything in PDF format. Great people to deal with.
Old 6/25/12 | 04:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Shes in
Overall Impressions
Smoother Ride
Smoother Power Delivery
Increased Acceleration

Would I recommend it?

Yes, it's defiantly a buy. Vehicle feels much more refined now. My impressions tell me there may be a slight increase in drive-ability. In 6th gear on the highway, floor it and the car drops to 3d gear right away and just jolts forward. No delay in acceleration.

SHAFTMASTERS has been the best customer service I have ever experienced in the aftermarket parts industry. Very prompt, polite, and courteous. I had sent several emails back and forth with them, and they were always quick to reply and help put. They even sent me additional copies of everything in PDF format. Great people to deal with.

*****THIS IS REASON ENOUGH FOR ME*****
Old 6/25/12 | 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Shes in

Overall Impressions
Smoother Ride
Smoother Power Delivery
Increased Acceleration

Would I recommend it?

Nice! Another thing to add to the list.
Old 6/25/12 | 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Def one of the 1st bolt-ons I plan on doing.. A must for any V6 owner who would ever remove the 115 Limiter.. Horror stories of people with DS failures on the V6 with the stock DS and being stupid to go fast. (See you tube video where someone did that)
Old 6/29/12 | 05:02 PM
GT Member

Nice. Though I'll have to snag some rust converter from work and paint my rusted up rearend while I'm under there. Guess this will probably be next on my list. Thanks for the pics/review.