Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My car has turned into Will Ferrell's prius on the Other Guys, only for Dragonflys,

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/12, 05:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My car has turned into Will Ferrell's prius on the Other Guys, only for Dragonflys,

not homeless people.....

Weird thing I started noticing about my car, dragonflys cannot stay away from sterling grey. It started when I kept noticing little white trails all over my hood, roof and trunk. Looks like hundreds of little silk worms died on the car. Every time I come out to the parking lot from work I would notice dragonflys flying around my car, and not around any other cars. Started happening at various local store parking lots as well. I was in the middle of telling my wife that I thought it was weird how they were always only around my car and expecting her to think I was crazy when a swarm of them started dive-bombing my car in the driveway. They fly down and drop and drag their tail on the scorching hot surface of the car leaving the white (gross) trail of whatever, all over my car. My wife thinks they think the car is a water source, at any given day there will be 10-20 of them flying around my car mating (stuck to each other) dive bombing my car. It has become impossible to keep my car clean and i'm about to start protecting it with a badminton racquet LOL . Anyone else with this color have this problem?? Whats even more strange is my wifes previous car was silver and they left her car alone even when parked right next to each other in the driveway. My 06 was Tungsten and I never had this problem with that car either..

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 8/6/12 at 05:11 AM.
Old 8/6/12, 05:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe these are Camaro dragon fly lovers....Must be the metalic color of your silver.

Have you tried using a car cover?
Old 8/6/12, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
not homeless people.....

Weird thing I started noticing about my car, dragonflys cannot stay away from sterling grey. It started when I kept noticing little white trails all over my hood, roof and trunk. Looks like hundreds of little silk worms died on the car. Every time I come out to the parking lot from work I would notice dragonflys flying around my car, and not around any other cars. Started happening at various local store parking lots as well. I was in the middle of telling my wife that I thought it was weird how they were always only around my car and expecting her to think I was crazy when a swarm of them started dive-bombing my car in the driveway. They fly down and drop and drag their tail on the scorching hot surface of the car leaving the white (gross) trail of whatever, all over my car. My wife thinks they think the car is a water source, at any given day there will be 10-20 of them flying around my car mating (stuck to each other) dive bombing my car. It has become impossible to keep my car clean and i'm about to start protecting it with a badminton racquet LOL . Anyone else with this color have this problem?? Whats even more strange is my wifes previous car was silver and they left her car alone even when parked right next to each other in the driveway. My 06 was Tungsten and I never had this problem with that car either..
I thought I was the only one! This same exact thing happens to me except my car is legend lime. No matter where I park whenever I come back outside there are always at least two of them just hovering by my car.
Old 8/6/12, 07:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd take that over the large amount of spiders I am getting. Amazingly, they web the car up every night. If I just parked next to you i believe we could solve the problem of the dragon flies.
Old 8/6/12, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess they really like legend lime. They swarm it like its a big plant lol. When I am home there are always 2-3 of them hovering near it. At work it's even worse there's a lot more. And like op said they make little streaks all over it.
Old 8/6/12, 08:02 AM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I'd take that over the large amount of spiders I am getting. Amazingly, they web the car up every night. If I just parked next to you i believe we could solve the problem of the dragon flies.
What?! I would take dragonflies over that too! Eek.
Old 8/6/12, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if they are laying eggs on your car? If they are, you should check on-line to see if the eggs will harm your paint. Some insect eggs have a very acidic effect on the paint and will eat through the paint into the metal.
Old 8/6/12, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Dragon flies are nuts this year. I have never seen this many in my life.
Old 8/6/12, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had this happen with my 06 legend Lime car. Not for dragonfly's but for every other bug around, I even found ants trying to make a nest in the door edge. Now with the GTHIG I find its not just as bad but worse. I have a multitude of bugs on my car each morning. I don't have the issue of trails like the dragonfly's leave but I have had a slug or two on the car. **** insect world loves Mustangs.
Old 8/6/12, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This reminds me of the beetles that I used to have when living in North Carolina. You had to set up yellow traps in your yard; they flew towards the yellow, then the sticky trap locked them in and they died. I bought my neighbor a bunch of them and watched them fly over to his yard....problem solved. Just like those electric bug zappers. Buy one for your neighbor; watch the bugs fly over to their house.

Now I guess you'll need to buy two Mustangs; one to attract the bugs, so they leave yours alone.
Old 8/6/12, 12:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Funny you mention the abundance of dragon flies this year. Where do you guys/girls live???

I'm on Long Island and the dragon flies are INSANE this year.

No issues on my car tho. But spiders do like to web it up every night.
Old 8/6/12, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm from north de. They are everywhere!
Old 8/6/12, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your hypothesis holds true, spiders and birds must *love* Kona Blue.
Old 8/6/12, 01:18 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
spiders love black also
Old 8/7/12, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

yes they do. I came home last night to about 20 of those white spiders that were mentioned earlier in the thread. I walked right into the webs and then the sensor light came on after of course. There were webs everywhere and spiders galore. Most ive ever seen.

All over black Marauder and black Sonata
Old 8/7/12, 08:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
yes they do. I came home last night to about 20 of those white spiders that were mentioned earlier in the thread. I walked right into the webs and then the sensor light came on after of course. There were webs everywhere and spiders galore. Most ive ever seen.

All over black Marauder and black Sonata
Man I wan going to mention that the spiders on my car were white. I thought people would think I was foolin. It's crazy how many I find under the mirrors. I'm glad you have seen them too.
Old 8/8/12, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Weird thing I started noticing about my car, dragonflys cannot stay away from sterling grey. It started when I kept noticing little white trails all over my hood, roof and trunk. Looks like hundreds of little silk worms died on the car...
I have a 2013 SGM GT that is about 3 weeks old. I've been finding something similar on the hood after work and noticed 2 dragonflies hovering over it when I went out yesterday. I didn't make the connection to whatever they've been leaving behind but I did notice it was odd how the dragonflies were hovering and diving like they do over water. Thanks for making that click. Hmmm... where to find a wax with OFF! in it?
Old 8/8/12, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Every day I walk through spiderwebs when I go out to my car. They love the Stang apparently.
Old 8/8/12, 05:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
Dragon flies are nuts this year. I have never seen this many in my life.

Agreed.