Sponsored By:

My 2011 Stage 2, and a review.

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/11, 08:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2011 Stage 2, and a review.

Hey guys,

Well, after reading these forums for many months, I decided to get back to my roots with another 5.0. You see, my first car was an '85 GT, and I've been a Mustang lover ever since.

So, after 1000 miles on her, I offer a review. Keep in mind that I am coming from a '98 Cobra that I've been driving for the last 13 years. So, my comparisons are mostly compared to that car (which I loved).

The good:

-- Performance: Exceptional. Despite it being somewhat heavier than my old car, I found it to be very lively and agile. 1st and 2nd gear accelerations are simply amazing, and the engine has enough torque to drive comfortably in any gear.

-- Handling: Fantastic. This is more Roush specific, but the car really handles as if it were on rails. Almost zero body roll, and any turn can be taken with confidence.

-- Styling: Beautiful. I think the '10+ Mustangs look great, and Roush really got it right with their enhancements. The car receives compliments wherever it goes.

-- The little things: MyColor, ambient lighting, nice interior, very quiet inside. The more I drive the car, the more I appreciate the fit and finish of these things.

The bad:

-- Shaker 500: Sucks. The Mach 460 in my 13 year old car sounded better than this. It's a shame too, because if Ford had done something similar by encasing the rear speakers in a small box, it would have sounded much better. But instead, they'd rather sell you an overpriced subwoofer in the trunk.

-- Power passenger seat not standard: Why? This is a 'Premium' package, and having a passenger seat that is too low and not being able to adjust it upwards is very disappointing.

-- Roush exhaust: Not feeling it. I know these things are highly subjective, and I really love the square tips, but I am just not a fan of how the exhaust sounds at WOT above 3k RPMs. I wish there were an option somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between stock and this.

-- Transmission: Uninspiring. At first I hated it, now I'm just like 'meh'. Maybe I'll change my mind later, but yes, it is notchy, especially when it's not fully warmed up. I never had a doubt about the transmission in my old Cobra, but I do with this one. If the transmission is still working in 6 years, I'll be surprised. But I could be wrong.

Nitpicks:

-- Why not show us real-time MPG numbers instead of the stupid chart? This is old technology already.

-- No lighted vanity mirrors in the '11s. I know this is corrected in '12, but c'mon, they've had these on their cars for more than a decade.

Overall:

There was a period of adjustment from my old car to the new one, but now I am very pleased with the car, and think Ford has done a good job of offering world-class performance with great styling. I think if they had put a little more thought into a few things, the car would have been truly great. But I can't complain too much, because the car really is a lot of fun to drive, and I look forward to enjoying it for a very long time.

Old 7/22/11, 12:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beautiful car! I drive an 11 GT, came from a 95 GT Vert. My new car blows it away in every category. I had the Mach 460. You need to know I just have 1 ear. Pretty sure I had a blown speaker? I was looking to upgrade my stereo when I found my 11. To my ear, Shaker's better. Who knows though?

Nice review!! Love to see/hear more of your Stage 2.